Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR5 Matrix Questions, Corner Case & Oddites
BlackJaw
post Jul 16 2013, 06:36 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,213

In 4th edition I often played hackers, so I've been digging into the Matrix/Decker rules in detail as of late. Now I might be missing some things, but some odd bits have cropped up in my attempts to grok the new rules.

1) Noise acts a dice pool penalty to Matrix Actions. Noise is actually more complicated than this as if covers lack of signal, distance, and/or jamming, but not all the noise penalty sources apply at all times. Inside a Host distance based noise doesn't apply because the host is made from the Matrix and doesn't have a physical place, even if the host itself does represent a physical place (Like the Stuffer Shack example hosts.) Ok, that's more confusing than it needed to be (see #7 below), but it's not as confusing as the lack of rules for what jamming actually does to devices that don't have Matrix Actions dice pools. Unless I've missed something, it doesn't do much at all.
Example: You have a Commlink, and it's primary function is to allow you to communicate with other people via, audio, visual, and/or text messages. Now you find yourself in the middle of the ocean. No Matrix devices or connections points, and no satellite up-link. You need to call for help. Can you? According to SR5: yes. Your matrix actions will be suffering a noise ratting of 5 or 6, maybe more if you are under a few centimeters of salt water, but thankfully sending a message on your commlink doesn't have a dicepool for the noise penalty to reduce. In theory, you can always send a message, or even open a feed to send multimedia. This also means no amount of jamming can prevent a guard from calling for help or raising the alarm. The rules for noise inhibiting devices only covers wireless bonuses, but commlinks don't technically have a wireless bonus. The simple fix here is to extend the basic rule for getting wireless bonuses to all devices: that if noise is greater than the device rating, the device can't connect to the matrix. This change does make Decks a bit weaker, as they tend to have bad device ratings, but there are a number of ways a decker can boost their noise reduction through gear or software.
The rules on page 421 under Wireless Bonus actually state that a device with more non-distance noise effecting it than it has device rating losses in matrix connection, not just it's wireless bonus. IE: This is how jamming works. Deckers, you're going to want Signal Scrub and a Data Jack because Decks have low device ratings by default.

2) As noted in other threads, there is a penalty for being on the Public Grid (-2) and there is a penalty for hacking an Icon on a different grid (-2). The end result is that if you have a device which you want online but do not use for matrix actions (like a Smart link), it's safer on the Public Grid than on a higher end grid, because hackers will always have a negative -2 to attack it. IE: Your local street samurai is best served by buying a high end commlink with a nice firewall, slaving all his ware/gear to it, and then keeping it on the crappy, free, public grid so any enemy decker that tries to hack into his Wired Reflexes or Smartlink will have to do so at -2 from the public grid penalty or the cross grid penalty. Thankfully this bit of oddity doesn't extend to secure Hosts because hosts do take matrix actions (their IC and and Spiders do anyway) and it's not hard for a clever hacker to turn that to his or her advantage (you don't take cross grid penalties inside a host, but you do take public grid penalties, so if the host's IC is taking the public grid penalty but the hacker is avoiding it through using the local grid, he's better off.) Note that the Public Grid penalty of -2 is not considered Noise, so it doesn't hinder wireless bonuses from working, nor can it be negated by noise reduction. My recommended fix would be to make the Public Grid penalty be considered noise. That would make putting devices like smartlinks on it a hazard, as they would frequently lose their wireless bonus due to interference or signal lose (most devices a street sam might run will only have a device rating or 2 or 3,) although this has the side effect of making the public grid of less bothersome to hackers or riggers with access to various noise reduction options.

3) There is currently no definitive way to determine what grid an Icon (Persona, place, file, etc) is on. It's not in the list of options for Matrix Perception, nor is it provided by the Trace Icon action. At least one example in the book includes Deckers noticing that devices are running on a particular grid and hopping to that grid to avoid the -2 cross grid penalty for their hacking attempts, but it doesn't say how they spotted what grid the devices were running on. The Matrix Perception action is not specifically defined, so it could in theory cover this, but you take a -2 matrix penalty for matrix actions againts targets not on the same grid as you (unless your are in a host) so you may or may not be taking that penalty on any given icon as you attempt a matrix perception test to see what grid it is on? That's a little bit odd. Either you need a matrix perception test, a trace test, or you automatically can tell the grid of any icon you can see. It's not clear which option is true currently. I personally don't think Trace is the right answer, but I've seen it on other threads.
Actually I missed it on a previous read through. Matrix Perception list, page 235, does include Grid as an option. My Bad.

4) The section on Grids notes that your basic grid access level is determined by lifestyle, but you can buy a better option if you want. I have yet to find the rules for buying a matrix connection other than your lifestyle provided one. Considering you can kick start you timed Overwatch Score by hacking your way onto other grids, the option to buy legitimate access instead might actually be a good idea, especially if your base level is Middle class/Local grid, and you do any amount of traveling away from home... or is it supposed to mean that Middle lifestyle person can always afford access to the local grid?
Apparently the table for this was cut from the core book, but will appear in some future product.

5) A Data Jack's noise reduction is a bit confusing in two ways. First, a Data Jack (standard quality) probably has a device rating of 2. If I'm in an area with noise 3, I apparently can't use my datajack's wireless bonus to get noise reduction? Second, it's not clear that the noise reduction of the datajack applies to anything other than the jack itself. I think it's supposed to (should) apply to anything the jack is plugged into (like a commlink, rcc, or deck) and I'd even guess it should apply to anything else implanted in the body (like a street samurai's wired reflexes and reflex boosters) but it doesn't actually say that it does any of that. I assume it's not meant to help with your wider PAN devices that are unwired, like say your non-implanted gun, but you could always run the datajack cable directly to the gun. Does this also mean that a street sam worried about someone jamming his wireless enabled ware should get a datajack and plug it into a high quality (high device rating) commlink in order to let all the devices benefit from the harder to jam link device rating + data jack noise reduction? I'm inclinded to say yes, or anything worse than a downtown spam zone will kill all wireless bonuses.

6) Noise Reduction is often, but not always, noted to stack with other sources of noise reduction. Does this mean I can chain a bunch of cheap RCCs together with optic cable and build a massive noise reduction score? What if I use a Deck, an RCC, and a Datajack, and I run noise reduction software on both the Deck and the RCC? I note that the Noise reduction of a Data Jack does not explicitly stack with other sources, so installing multiple data jacks into a skull doesn't give you better reception.

7) I've been interpreting the sentences (p246) "Each host is on a specific grid. Like the rest of the Matrix, a host can be accessed from any grid. Hosts are part of the Matrix, so once you’re inside a host, the grid you’re on doesn’t really matter." to mean that hacking into a host suffers a cross grid penalty, but once inside the host it no longer applies (in either direction, so IC and Spiders can easily hack you too.) I'll also note that page 234 says that the -2 penalty for using the public grid applies anywhere, even inside a host. More complicated, the distance noise penalty never applies to Hosts (p235, "For all intents and purposes, there is no 'physical' distance to any host in the Matrix.") So to hack into a host you might take a cross grid penalty, a local noise penalty, and a public grid penalty, but not distance noise penalty. Once inside the host you take a local noise penalty and a public grid penalty, but not a cross grid or distance noise penalty.

8) Why can't commlinks run common cybersoftware? I'm sure a street sam could benefit from Signal Scrub or Encryption for his wireless bonuses, so why make him buy a cheap RCC to run them? Why even bother having separate common and hacker software instead of just software programs with R or F availability. Both decks and rcc can run both kinds of software (although RCCs seem to have a limited subset). Even drones can run a number of programs equal to half their device rating. Personally I'd let a Commlink run half it's device rating common cyberprograms only.

9) Can I slave my Deck to a Commlink? Doing so means when I defend against a matrix attack, I could use the higher of my deck's current (highly configurable) matrix attributes or the flat device rating (up to 6 at character creation) of a commlink according to the slaved device/PAN rules. It seems a bit broken, as you could reconfigure your deck to have higher attributes for offensive/active actions and simply fall back on the default rating 6 of your $5000 Transys Avalon. You could limit users to only using Masters (not slaves) for getting onto the matrix/having a Persona, with the exception that Spider-Riggers could still slave their RCCs to a Host as part of a WAN.

10) Speaking of slaving, what kind of authority do you need to slave a device to a Host? How many Marks? There are some serious advantages to having your device Icons secured inside a host, and physical distance isn't a factor thanks to the WAN rules. Having you gear on a WAN means in order for it to get hacked, someone either has to break into the host first and face it's security/IC or they have to have a direct connection to the device. Could a street sam with a nice matrix host related contact get his gear/ware slaved to the host so he can walk around with extra protection on his gear?

11) RCCs share their Autosofts with all the drones that aren't running autosofts of their own. That means it doesn't share other software (like signal scrubber) but that running other software on the drone isn't an issue? I imagine Signal Scrubber is about the only way to give a drone noise reduction at this point. Note that page 269 says drones can run cyberprograms. That means I can load up each individual drone with a bunch of helpful cyberprograms, and then load up the RCC with the shared autosofts, right?

12) A number of matrix programs say their effects stack with other programs, but not all of them, which implies to me that unless they say that combine, they don't. I'm guessing that if my deck is running both Stealth and Exploit, I'm not getting +3 Sleaze on my Hack on the fly, but instead only the larger +2 from Exploit?

13) What the are prices for Autosofts? They aren't listed anywhere.
This is a known errata issue. I haven't seen a price listing for what should have been included though.

14) Does (should) anything keep a non-control rigged person from just using an RCC for remote controlling drones? Or a Street Sam from running Wrapper on "Scratch Built Junk" to conceal his various icons as something less threatening/worth targeting for cyber attacks? It doesn't seem to need a Control Rig to be useful, but the RCCs are more expensive than commlinks by a long shot, but not nearly as costly as a Deck. Oddly, they are also the only one of the 3 that can't be implanted either, although they are described as being a bit bigger than even decks.

15) When a rigger-spider connects his RCC up to a WAN, he apparently has access to all the drones slaved to the host. Does that mean all the drones get the advantages of the Autosofts on his RCC? What if there are multiple Spiders with RCCs, each using different autosofts? My inclination is to say no. You only share your autosofts with drones slaved to your RCC. In the WAN, the drones are slaved to the host, not your RCC. You should load your RCC with helpful cyberprograms instead, and let all the drones carry their autosofts, that way every Rigger on the WAN gets their own load out, without overlapping autosoft issues cropping up.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 16 2013, 06:53 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

can't help with much of the rest of it, but for question 3, it mentions that it's pretty obvious because the various grids are heavily advertised. it's sort of a passing reference, but for example, page 220 has "You might find notes like “Posted from the Renraku Grid” tacked onto the end of status updates."

personally, i take this to mean that in general, it's just obvious. doesn't even need a test.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 16 2013, 07:03 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

In part to number 6, I'm starting to foresee a new kind of wired street sam, one that's got wired connections to every bit of gear & ware like reaction enhancers & wired reflexes & that smartgun in hand.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Jul 16 2013, 07:24 AM
Post #4

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

There's a definitive way to see a target's grid. It's under the Matrix Perception matrix action as one of the pieces of information you can get from a successful test.

+Quote Post
DeathStrobe
post Jul 16 2013, 08:52 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,558

SR5 p 421
If there is a Noise Rating from a situation that is greater than the item’s Device Rating, not including distance, the item temporarily loses its wireless functionality (see Noise, p. 230).

You are correct. Device rating is the threshold to be effected by a jammer.

Handshake range (being within 100 meters of the device) removes that Public Grid "protection."

Matrix Perception says you can learn one thing from a icon for every hit on the test, so grid info would fall under that.

I don't think we're going to have those rules until the Matrix source book.

I also assume a datajack works on your deck/RCC, because that's really the only reason you'd get one.

What? You mean I can't have 599 datajacks and get a -599 noise? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)
I assume decks and RCC can't stack. Rules as intended were for deckers and riggers to be two separate archetypes with their own gear. This would go against the spirit of the new rules because it'd force all deckers to be riggers for the noise reduction.

Was there a question there? Because that sounds pretty accurate.

An excellent question... Uh...I actually thought you could run common programs on a commlink, but rereading that section; I guess you can't. Well, that's annoying. You can't even get IC or agents for a bit of Matrix Defense. Well, I hope the Matrix book covers this, or else Street Sams may need to buy a cheap cyberdeck for a bit of Matrix defense.

I think you can slave a deck to a commlink, but I don't think it'll give you a lot of benefits. Because you'll have to use the commlink's Matrix attributes, and it doesn't have attack or sleaze, so you won't be able to actually do anything.

I thought ownership says you need 4 marks. And yes...? It sounds like a Sammy with the right connections could slave all this stuff to a host, but I don't think we have enough rules yet to have a very logical or balanced way of doing this yet.

That's how I'd interpret it.

The rules are ambiguous. It can be ruled either way. But seeing how they only increase your limits, I'd personally, say they stack, but that's me.

There are a few things that are missing prices. Like sensors... I assume, just use the SR4 prices.

I believe you HAVE to have a control rig implant to use an RCC.

Yes, you'd use the Host's active programs and Matrix attributes...I think, not your RCC's. I could be wrong.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jul 16 2013, 01:37 PM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

There are a few things that are missing prices. Like sensors... I assume, just use the SR4 prices.

Sensor prices are on p. 446. If you don't have something to put the sensor in (like a vehicle, cyberlimb, etc.), there are handheld and wall-mounted housings available on the same page.

Autosofts are already on the errata list. Grid subscription costs are on a table that exists but didn't make the cut for the main book, so look for it in a future product.

+Quote Post
DeathStrobe
post Jul 16 2013, 03:01 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Aaron @ Jul 16 2013, 06:37 AM) *
Sensor prices are on p. 446. If you don't have something to put the sensor in (like a vehicle, cyberlimb, etc.), there are handheld and wall-mounted housings available on the same page.

Autosofts are already on the errata list. Grid subscription costs are on a table that exists but didn't make the cut for the main book, so look for it in a future product.

Oh, I get it now. So all sensors now cost the same price, but are different based off if they can be put in a wall or on a handheld device. Clever.

+Quote Post
BlackJaw
post Jul 16 2013, 03:06 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ Jul 16 2013, 12:52 AM) *
Handshake range (being within 100 meters of the device) removes that Public Grid "protection."

The only reference I can find to hand shake range is on page 421, talking about wireless enabled devices being hackable. It doesn't expressely say anything about a lack of public grid penalty for being in 100 meters, or even mention 100 meters. Am I missing rules somewhere?

Was there a question there? Because that sounds pretty accurate.
Just making sure I wasn't missing anything.

I think you can slave a deck to a commlink, but I don't think it'll give you a lot of benefits. Because you'll have to use the commlink's Matrix attributes, and it doesn't have attack or sleaze, so you won't be able to actually do anything.
I think this is very metagamey, but as near as I can tell, slaving a device to something else doesn't seem to prevent you from using it to form your Matrix Icon (Riggers can slave their RCC to a Host and still form a persona from it) and the features of the "Master" only apply for defense, and only if they are higher than the inherent ones.

I thought ownership says you need 4 marks.
As I read it, ownership counts like having 4 marks, but actually be the owner of something you need to either legitimately buy it, or spend time physically modifying it's electronics so it think you are it's owner. You can't hack more than 3 marks onto something. It sounds like hosts can designated owners (spiders) on top of proper owners. Files, which are software and therefore have no hardware, can be copied, and the copy has the new ownership (you could then delete the original.)

I believe you HAVE to have a control rig implant to use an RCC.
I didn't see that in my read-through. You have to have a Control Rig to jump into a drone, but the Control Console provides a lot of no-rigging options for remote control/non-rigged drone wrangling, as well as a cheaper-than-deck way to run cyberprograms, all of which are useful and valid for a non-rigger. It's expressly stated to be like a Commlink with added drone functions, in fact.

+Quote Post
DeathStrobe
post Jul 16 2013, 03:49 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Jul 16 2013, 09:06 AM) *
The only reference I can find to hand shake range is on page 421, talking about wireless enabled devices being hackable. It doesn't expressely say anything about a lack of public grid penalty for being in 100 meters, or even mention 100 meters. Am I missing rules somewhere?

p235 Matrix Perception
You can automatically spot the icons of devices that are not running silent within 100 meters of your physical location. No matter where you are in the Matrix, your commlink or deck (or your living persona) only has its own antenna for wireless signals, so this distance is mea- sured from your physical location no matter where you are in the Matrix

With the right rules lawyering, we can assume even being in handshake distance might still restrict the flow of data depending on your grid.

But I don't think that's the case. Because the whole point of the -2 on the Public Matrix is because the connection is suppose to be unreliable. But the thing is, being within 100 meters, your not using the Matrix, you're setting up a direct peer-to-peer connection, which is why you don't need to make a Matrix perception test to find devices not in hidden within 100 meters.

I think this is very metagamey, but as near as I can tell, slaving a device to something else doesn't seem to prevent you from using it to form your Matrix Icon (Riggers can slave their RCC to a Host and still form a persona from it) and the features of the "Master" only apply for defense, and only if they are higher than the inherent ones.

Well, you are right. That's how the rules are written. It specifically says it only applies to Matrix defense. I guess we'll have to put that in the errata thread, because that's clearly open for game abuse. Maybe it's balanced by the fact the decker has to pay twice to just get a safe firewall always at 6. Hm, hard call.

I didn't see that in my read-through. You have to have a Control Rig to jump into a drone, but the Control Console provides a lot of no-rigging options for remote control/non-rigged drone wrangling, as well as a cheaper-than-deck way to run cyberprograms, all of which are useful and valid for a non-rigger. It's expressly stated to be like a Commlink with added drone functions, in fact.

Being the Machine p 265
Rigging starts with the important first step of having a control rig augmentation (p. 452) for your character. That’s only a starting point, though—there’s a lot more to being a rigger than just having a rig.

That's as close as I can find that says you need a control rig. While it doesn't say on the RCC that you require a Control Rig to use it, it does seem that you need a Control Rig to do anything more then just having the pilot program operate. But this is up to interpretation, I think it can be argued that you can use a RCC to remote control a drone but not jump in, if if you are missing a control rig.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jul 16 2013, 04:24 PM
Post #10

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Jul 16 2013, 12:36 AM) *
8 ) Why can't commlinks run common cybersoftware?

So you need to have a Decker friend.... stated design goal.

+Quote Post
HugeC
post Jul 16 2013, 04:56 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,563

Page 266 says you need a control rig to jump in. Remote control uses the Control Device action (page 238), which you can do from a regular commlink, which an RCC is, so a non-rigger can indeed use an RCC to remote control drones, he just can't jump in.

+Quote Post
BlackJaw
post Jul 16 2013, 04:59 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ Jul 16 2013, 07:49 AM) *
p235 Matrix Perception
You can automatically spot the icons of devices that are not running silent within 100 meters of your physical location. No matter where you are in the Matrix, your commlink or deck (or your living persona) only has its own antenna for wireless signals, so this distance is measured from your physical location no matter where you are in the Matrix

With the right rules lawyering, we can assume even being in handshake distance might still restrict the flow of data depending on your grid.

But I don't think that's the case. Because the whole point of the -2 on the Public Matrix is because the connection is suppose to be unreliable. But the thing is, being within 100 meters, your not using the Matrix, you're setting up a direct peer-to-peer connection, which is why you don't need to make a Matrix perception test to find devices not in hidden within 100 meters.

I really like your interpretation, as it encourages up close and personal hacking by removing the public and cross grid penalties when doing something within 100 meters.

The trouble is that another valid interpretation of the 100m range is that it might only help you with distance noise, as shown on the noise table on page 231: 100 meters is 0 noise. Nothing expressly says it effects the cross grid or public grid penalties. The quote you found simply says I don't need to make a Matrix Perception to spot the icons, but it doesn't actually say anything about noise or penalties at all. I would love a clarification/errata that says otherwise.

My personal house rule, given the option, might be to make "100m handshake distance" more defined: 100 Meters from your physical location is considered wireless handshake distance, allowing a point to point wireless connection between devices without needing to route the connection through a grid or the matrix. All devices with wireless enabled can be accessed within handshake range without any cross grid or public grid penalties, nor any distance noise. Local noise, such as static zones, spam zones, or jamming, still applies. Additionally, you can automatically see any publicly running icons for devices or persona within wireless handshake range. Even icons that are part of a WAN can still be spotted at this range, although you can not interact with them without first gaining entry to the Host they are slaved to. Devices in wireless handshake range that are running in silent mode still require a Matrix Perception test to spot. Handshake range does not count as direct physical connection.

+Quote Post
BlackJaw
post Jul 16 2013, 05:06 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 16 2013, 08:24 AM) *
So you need to have a Decker friend.... stated design goal.

The design goal was to make Deckers need a Deck to do any hacking, but I'm curious why commlinks can't run non-hacking software. I'm talking programs that let you edit files better, encrypt your communication, browse the matrix faster, and the other legal "common cyberprograms" that apparently only riggers, deckers, and drones can run. Why even bother with defining Common vs Hacking if all the devices that can use Cyberprograms can run both kinds?

Am I going to break the game or devalue deckers if allow a commlink to run half it's rating in common cyber programs like Browse or Edit?

+Quote Post
GiraffeShaman
post Jul 16 2013, 05:46 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 105,715

So to hack into a host you might take a cross grid penalty, a local noise penalty, and a public grid penalty, but not distance noise penalty. Once inside the host you take a local noise penalty and a public grid penalty, but not a cross grid or distance noise penalty.

Where does it specifically say you take a local noise penalty when hacking into the host? Why didn't BK take one in the bank example, because he jacked in direct? Would it be a good idea to use your 100 meter handshake rule to wave this? Thanks, just trying to get my head around all this.

+Quote Post
BlackJaw
post Jul 16 2013, 06:41 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (GiraffeShaman @ Jul 16 2013, 09:46 AM) *
Where does it specifically say you take a local noise penalty when hacking into the host? Why didn't BK take one in the bank example, because he jacked in direct? Would it be a good idea to use your 100 meter handshake rule to wave this? Thanks, just trying to get my head around all this.

The matrix rules are not well consolidated. The book doesn't specifically say you take local noise when hacking a host, but it does say you don't take distance noise. (p235 "For all intents and purposes, there is no 'physical' distance to any host in the Matrix." p. 230: "To figure out how noise is affecting you, start with the noise level from real-world distance to your target and add the noise level from any other applicable situations, then subtract any noise reduction you are using." Hosts never have a distance, so to determine noise while hacking a Host the, the distance is 0, but the remaining sources of noise, like spam zones, would still apply. I find it improbable that hacking a host on the matrix isn't hindered by a jammer, spam zone, or static zone around your meat body & deck.

Essentially the distance to a Host is always 0, as long as your are on the matrix, and thus always 0 distance noise. This doesn't not prevent other sources of noise from applying normally.

Cross grid and Public grid penalties are not noise, as they are described as flat penalties, not noise values. They normally apply to all actions, but Hosts muck that up a bit. Once inside a host you no longer suffer cross grid penalties but you still suffer public grid penalties. The rules specifically, and repeatedly say inside a host, so getting in still hinders things.

Direct connections are another story. You never suffer noise of any kind, nor cross grid or public grid penalties, when you directly plug a data cable into the target device. More over, if that device is part of WAN or PAN, which is to say it's slaved to another device or host, you get to hack vs the device's (not the master's) matrix attributes, but you can place marks on the master. That means you can plug into a maglock that is slaved to a host, and beat the maglock to place a mark on the host (and thus gain access to the host).

In the example, BK didn't take a noise penalty for hacking the bank for two reasons: first, he had a direct connection to slaved maglock, which is as good as connecting to the master (the host in this case). There is never a noise penalty for connecting to a device via data cable, nor nearly any other connection penalties like cross-grid or public grid. Secondly, even if he had been hacking the host via wireless matrix instead of cable, he was not described as being anywhere with local noise. He wasn't in a Spam Zone, Static Zone, or near an active Jammer, all of which would be what I'm calling area noise. Hacking the bank via wireless would have potentially given him trouble with both the cross grid and public grid penalties, depending on circumstances.

Relevant Pages: p. 218 "Hosts are part of the Matrix, rather than being a single device, so you can access them from anywhere without worrying about the distance involved." p. 234 on Public grids notes: "As a result, all Matrix actions are performed at a –2 dice pool penalty when you’re using the public grid, even in a host." p233 on cross grid penalties notes: "When you’re attempting a Matrix action against a target on another grid, you take a –2 dice pool penalty. " and "Note that this penalty doesn’t apply when you’re inside a host; it’s only imposed when you’re out on a grid." P.246 notes that "Each host is on a specific grid. Like the rest of the Matrix, a host can be accessed from any grid. Hosts are part of the Matrix, so once you’re inside a host, the grid you’re on doesn’t really matter." p232 "When you use a direct connection, you ignore all noise modifiers and modifiers due to being on different grids or the public grid. It’s just you and the device." p 233 notes: "If a slaved device is under attack via a direct connection (as through a universal data connector), however, it cannot use its master’s ratings to defend itself." and "Because of the tight connections between the devices, if you get a mark on a slave you also get a mark on the master. This happens even if the slave was marked through a direct connection,"

My Handshake House Rule:
My handshake house rule is intended to only remove cross grid and public grid penalties. It does not count as a direct physical connection.

+Quote Post
GiraffeShaman
post Jul 16 2013, 07:18 PM
Post #16

Target

He wasn't in a Spam Zone, Static Zone, or near an active Jammer, all of which would be what I'm calling area noise.

But he could be in a Spam Zone. In fact, I think it would have made sense simply because it's a bank in Seattle. Seattle is defined as a sprawl. According to the chart on the very bottom of pg. 231, a commercial area in a sprawl counts as a Spam Zone with noise rating 5. I guess it's possible the bank isn't in a commercial zone, but it does seem an odd location not to be for a bank.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 16 2013, 08:05 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (GiraffeShaman @ Jul 16 2013, 02:18 PM) *
But he could be in a Spam Zone. In fact, I think it would have made sense simply because it's a bank in Seattle. Seattle is defined as a sprawl. According to the chart on the very bottom of pg. 231, a commercial area in a sprawl counts as a Spam Zone with noise rating 5. I guess it's possible the bank isn't in a commercial zone, but it does seem an odd location not to be for a bank.

depends. i live in a relatively small suburb. there are no buildings above 2 stories tall here that i can think of other than a local school that is built on a hillside.

there are several branches in the community. now, obviously, if you're thinking of a major bank's headquarters, then yeah... fair enough. it's probably in a pretty busy place. but if it's just a branch office, it wouldn't need to be in a busy area of town at all.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jul 16 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #18

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Jul 16 2013, 12:06 PM) *
The design goal was to make Deckers need a Deck to do any hacking, but I'm curious why commlinks can't run non-hacking software. I'm talking programs that let you edit files better, encrypt your communication, browse the matrix faster, and the other legal "common cyberprograms" that apparently only riggers, deckers, and drones can run. Why even bother with defining Common vs Hacking if all the devices that can use Cyberprograms can run both kinds?

Am I going to break the game or devalue deckers if allow a commlink to run half it's rating in common cyber programs like Browse or Edit?

You can use your commlink to Change Icon, Control Device(not listed on p.222, but if you look at Control Device you can use your commlinks data processing for the limit.), Edit File, Full matrix Defense, matrix Search and Send message.

I would not be surprised if common cyberprograms runnign on commlinks become an option in some future rule book, but now the only way to get them is to have a deck.

And yes, non Deckers having "decker in a box" does devalue Deckers. Just like magic in a box devalues magicians.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 16 2013, 08:37 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 16 2013, 03:13 PM) *
You can use your commlink to Change Icon, Control Device(not listed on p.222, but if you look at Control Device you can use your commlinks data processing for the limit.), Edit File, Full matrix Defense, matrix Search and Send message.

I would not be surprised if common cyberprograms runnign on commlinks become an option in some future rule book, but now the only way to get them is to have a deck.

And yes, non Deckers having "decker in a box" does devalue Deckers. Just like magic in a box devalues magicians.

that won't make you even remotely like a decker. having literally no sleaze or attack on your commlink pretty much completely shuts down any delusions of grandeur you may get from being able to run programs on a commlink.

+Quote Post
GiraffeShaman
post Jul 16 2013, 09:02 PM
Post #20

Target

depends. i live in a relatively small suburb. there are no buildings above 2 stories tall here that i can think of other than a local school that is built on a hillside.

there are several branches in the community. now, obviously, if you're thinking of a major bank's headquarters, then yeah... fair enough. it's probably in a pretty busy place. but if it's just a branch office, it wouldn't need to be in a busy area of town at all.

The example is quite specific though. At the start he's downtown Seattle, and it even says he is surrounded by skyscrapers. After the music theft, he goes across the street to a bank. If you were being generous you might give him the 2 noise rating for downtown sprawl. I wouldn't though, as I see Downtown Seattle as the big time place of Seattle. It's where my players have to be careful about carrying things like assault rifles.

There just aren't really suburbs in Seattle in the 2070's, although there is in our world and time. It's a sprawl from like Everret to Tacoma, bordered by the Barrens and NAN lands. I live in Kent in real life, and it's a suburb, but I think it's actually considered sprawl in SR. It's an interesting question, but Downtown Seattle seems much more clear.

+Quote Post
cndblank
post Jul 16 2013, 09:55 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 7,685

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 16 2013, 02:13 PM) *

What is ICE but a decker in a box program designed to attack intruders.
As long as you have a deck, you could ran an Agent to do simple decking jobs.

Besides what if no one in the group wants to play a decker and the GM is using an NPC decker?
I'd like some options as a GM.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:21 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.