IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Salish-Sidhe Information?, Where can I find up to date stuff?
Liam
post Jul 17 2013, 11:23 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,682

Specifically, where can I find information about the miltary and current events/conflicts with neighboring states. I'm talking about the last five years or so recent. Also, information about what it's like to live and grow up in Salish territory as well. Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Jul 17 2013, 11:49 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 459

QUOTE (Liam @ Jul 17 2013, 11:23 PM) *
Specifically, where can I find information about the miltary and current events/conflicts with neighboring states. I'm talking about the last five years or so recent. Also, information about what it's like to live and grow up in Salish territory as well. Thanks!

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=39103 attempts to consolidate most of the post-SONA mentions.

There's basically nothing on life in the Salish-Shidhe. It wasn't something that we were asked to address in SONA or any other book (e.g. the direction was to write stuff relevant to shadowrunners). You'll see the occasionally reference to the five major tribes near Seattle but that is largely regarding smuggling opportunities or some high-level politics stuff. You can draw some inferences based on the demographics (much higher population in this region as a whole than currently, for example) and limited economic information.

The major sources of information on the Salish-Shidhe are found in the Seattle sourcebooks (Seattle 2072 being the most current), Shadows of North America, and Native American Nations, Volume 1. Beyond that I can tell you we know more about the events of the last five years in Bogota than we do the entire SSC in the last 10 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Jul 18 2013, 06:14 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

I've been answering Liam's questions in PM but I'll just throw this out there:

IMO the eastern tribes are quite happy being ignored by the western tribes as they can just do their own thing. With the only monkeywrench being the continued consternation over the Tsimshian war and world events that don't seem very friendly to devolved governments. But keep in mind that most of the eastern tribes are not Salish, not Shidhe, and only pay lip service (if that) to the Council. The formation of the Self Defense Force to unify the tribal warbands and militias under a single banner (and the commiserate team-building between warrior lodges) may actually prove to be a more useful unifying factor and impetus for political change than anything else. Note that the western tribes really have no leverage on the east. They could block power from Gaetronics but so what? Most of the eastern tribes are not (IMO) big energy consumers, and they can rely on micropower or the few centralized power facilities in the area to keep the lights on. Military force? Chummer, good luck with that - especially when many of the tribes could just invite their buddies (or even fellow tribal members) across the border in the PCC or Sioux Nation over for a chat. But that's not needed anyways, because frankly it's a pretty sweet deal if you're an independent minded sort to be in the SSC.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jul 18 2013, 06:32 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

I want to do an update on them terribly. The biggest bits of info, right now, are NAN vol 1, SoNA, and ... the Shadowrun 1st edition corebook.

Buh.

So, yeah, I really want to fluff those poor guys up. They need some love.

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Jul 18 2013, 06:41 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Same. It's one the reasons I've been pestering to be a freelancer again lol.

+Quote Post
Liam
post Jul 18 2013, 07:11 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 39,682

If anyone wants, and with Tzeentch's permission, I'll probably copy and paste the info he's been giving me. A lot of it is speculation, but it's pretty handy to anyone interested in the region. Also, if anyone has cultural info about Salish-Sidhe and the NAN in general, please go ahead and drop it in this thread. I'm trying to get as clear a picture of the region and people that live in it as possible, since this is one of the things in SR that don't really correspond to the real world, but does involve (to some extent) real world cultures and I'd like to portray everything as accurately as possible in my games/fiction.

+Quote Post
lokii
post Jul 18 2013, 01:28 PM
Post #7

Keeper of the Timeline Maps

Member No.: 19,243

Well, Dirty Tricks describes the major recent conflict of Salish-Shidhe Council which is still with its northern neighbour Tsimshian. The outcome of the Tsimshian election is described here. At the end it hints at potential future problems:

http://www.shadowrun.com/2070/2013/04/12/w...s-in-tsimshian/

But I don't think there is much more than that.

Growing up / living in SSC: Well, Vancouver is the only place that was really flashed out for the country. It is still occasionally mentioned in Fourth Edition. Here is an overview of the sources in the Shadowhelix (English sources in the column to the right) with a breakdown of sources by year in a graphic below the list (red and orange indicate a small amount of information):

http://shadowhelix.pegasus.de/Vancouver#Quellenindex

As you can see it didn't receive a major update since the early 2060s, the Almanac for the most part just repeated known information. The city was featured in the novel Tails You Lose. I don't remember whether its Native-American nature shone through much in the description, but that is probably the most relevant description of modern life in Salish-Shidhe. I don't think there is much official information available about actual tribal life in the countryside.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jul 18 2013, 04:24 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

Oh, I have plans for Vancouver. Just gotta find the right time to enact 'em. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.