> Where is Nanite Cream?
xsansara
post Jul 18 2013, 03:45 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,112

Has anyone seen Nanite Cream?

Don't get me wrong, any piece of equipment that is broadly overused should be scrutinized.

But it is really and forever gone? Will characters now look the same every day? Will they look like their character image at least sometimes? Yes? plz
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jul 18 2013, 03:47 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Note that NO nanties of any kind are in the SR5 core book.

They'll likely show up in a splatbook at a later date.

+Quote Post
xsansara
post Jul 18 2013, 03:53 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Well, the word nanite is mentioned once. But that might be a mistake.

It would be a shame to have a return of the nanite cream. It completely devalues all the other neat tricks to change your appearance.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Jul 18 2013, 04:51 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

I like chocolate nanite cream, but the vanilla always tastes funny to me.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 18 2013, 05:02 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 18 2013, 09:51 AM) *
I like chocolate nanite cream, but the vanilla always tastes funny to me.

~Umi

The Sweet Cream is quite nice, but you are right, the vanilla tastes funny (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 18 2013, 05:02 PM
Post #6

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

And if you go past its expiry date you got Soured Nanite Cream

+Quote Post
RHat
post Jul 19 2013, 05:21 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 76,875

Given the events of Storm Front, it seems like ALL nanotech is going away due to Bad Things. For example, it appears that all nano-fabricated weapons kinda stopped being a cohesive thing - "melted to slag" is the exact reference used, with the context suggesting it is a thing the weapons did rather than a thing that was done to them.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Jul 19 2013, 05:49 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

I wanted some working rules for Nanotech SO BADLY!!! Augmentation was a start, but all the Nanites were incredibly expensive and the Wild Card Nanoprototpye positive quality absolutely limited.

+Quote Post
RHat
post Jul 19 2013, 05:50 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

I think someone decided nanotech was somehow damaging to elements of the setting that they wanted to highlight in SR5.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Jul 19 2013, 05:55 AM
Post #10

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

QUOTE (RHat @ Jul 19 2013, 01:50 AM) *
I think someone decided nanotech was somehow damaging to elements of the setting that they wanted to highlight in SR5.

I'm actually okay with this. Nanotech surgery robots and whatnot are okay, but common-use or god-forbid weaponized nanotech in any form is a pretty deep rabbit hole.

+Quote Post
RHat
post Jul 19 2013, 05:55 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

I'm not going to weigh in on whether or not I think the premise itself is valid, but if it is, the action following from it is absolutely the right course.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Jul 19 2013, 07:18 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 17,589

QUOTE (RHat @ Jul 19 2013, 09:21 AM) *
Given the events of Storm Front, it seems like ALL nanotech is going away due to Bad Things. For example, it appears that all nano-fabricated weapons kinda stopped being a cohesive thing - "melted to slag" is the exact reference used, with the context suggesting it is a thing the weapons did rather than a thing that was done to them.
Aha, that was in Kalashnikov's descrition. And it makes about as much sense as a boring machine going haywire on a plant causing everything ever produced using it to dissolve into slag.

I am not a huge fan of nanoware, frankly, but the way they got rid of it is as ungraceful as it comes.

+Quote Post
RHat
post Jul 19 2013, 07:23 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 19 2013, 12:18 AM) *
Aha, that was in Kalashnikov's descrition. And it makes about as much sense as a boring machine going haywire on a plant causing everything ever produced using it to dissolve into slag.

The fully nano-fabricated guns went to slag presumably due to the nanites revolting. In the case of partial-nanofab, the gun would cease functioning but not completely go to slag.

Basically, it looks to me like nanotech the world over hasn't simply gone haywire, but actually become aggressive. I'd say all signs point to Dissonance, really, which also means that logical technological explanations need not apply. And I'm absolutely certain it's too early for the past-tense with regard to the method of its removal.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Jul 19 2013, 07:26 AM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 17,589

Nano-produced items do not consist of nanomachines, much less perpetually active nanomachines.
"Turned to slag" used past tense.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 19 2013, 07:32 AM
Post #15

Runner

QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 19 2013, 02:26 AM) *
Nano-produced items do not consist of nanomachines, much less perpetually active nanomachines.
"Turned to slag" used past tense.

They are not SUPPOSED to contain nanomachines post production, it appears maybe there were.

+Quote Post
xsansara
post Jul 19 2013, 09:24 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Well, I do understand you wouldn't want to put things under your facial skin that are prone to rebellion.

I don't care, if they made a cheesy plot line to get rid of unwanted stuff. Usually don't read that stuff anyway, and certainly not before the rules.

So I am making a no more Nanite cream dance *chakka* *chakka*

Thanks for the info!

+Quote Post
Werewindlefr
post Jul 19 2013, 01:11 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,844

In the Shadowrun lore, nanites are used heavily during cybersurgery. Not being able to use nanites makes a lot of things... complicated.

What was the problem with nanites anyway?

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 19 2013, 01:16 PM
Post #18

Runner

I imagine it could be a game balance issue, the potential is staggering what they could do and maybe the devs just want a bit more time to tweak them into line as recent story hints may have sorted of painted themselves into a corner and now they have to decide how to proceed forward while still maintaining that balance.

Also while individual nanites are just coded machines, working enmass may be providing the potential for a collective mentality or at least to affect them as such.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jul 19 2013, 01:22 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Werewindlefr @ Jul 19 2013, 08:11 AM) *
What was the problem with nanites anyway?

*Shoots the unhackable (because wireless disabled) cybersam with a capsule round*
*Hacker nanites enable the sam's wireless*
*Decker hacks the shit out of him*

You know, just as an example.

There were other things that were wonky too, like the nanites that increased your Logic...unless you were under stress (so any archetype that used logic would be considered "under stress" when they needed those dice).

There was literally only three or four nanite types that you would actually ever want:

Cutter nanties (inflict physical damage on people)
Hacker nanites (to enable wireless on devices)
Anti-tox nanites (which were of limited use, but could counter injected toxins)
Nanite hunter nanites (because how else would you defend yourself from cutter nanites?)

Every other use of nanites were pretty much "Nanoforge" to build yourself illegal shit for cheap.

+Quote Post
xsansara
post Jul 19 2013, 01:33 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Draco, you forgot the topic-name-giving nanite cream (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
The nanite tag
Nanite surgery
That thing where nanites changed your bio-scan

Not all SR is about killing people or avoid being killed (not for all characters anyway)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jul 19 2013, 01:40 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (xsansara @ Jul 19 2013, 08:33 AM) *
Draco, you forgot the topic-name-giving nanite cream (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Touche.

The nanite tag
Nanite surgery
That thing where nanites changed your bio-scan

Not all SR is about killing people or avoid being killed (not for all characters anyway)

I meant more regular nanites. The kind you keep in your body. I wanted a nanite hive so bad, but I could never find a single nanite swarm that was actually useful, must let justifying the 0.75 essence it took to implant the sucker (though I would have done a full 1 essence to have a nano-tattoo if I could just find a valid reason to have the hive in the first place).

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 19 2013, 01:48 PM
Post #22

Runner

Check out the Cyberpunk 3.x stuff for ideas of what they were doing with nanotech. Some of that was scary.

+Quote Post
Werewindlefr
post Jul 19 2013, 02:04 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,844

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 19 2013, 09:22 AM) *
*Shoots the unhackable (because wireless disabled) cybersam with a capsule round*
*Hacker nanites enable the sam's wireless*
*Decker hacks the shit out of him*

The action economy of this is extremely inefficient. If you can shoot the sam with a capsule round, you can shoot him with a grenade or assault cannon round.

Okay, fine, you need one more success with the assault cannon round. Doesn't exactly justify throwing away a big chunk of cyberpunk flavor.

Basically, I don't see what's wrong with the concept of nanite. If the implementation is broken, fix the implementation.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jul 19 2013, 02:12 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Werewindlefr @ Jul 19 2013, 09:04 AM) *
Basically, I don't see what's wrong with the concept of nanite. If the implementation is broken, fix the implementation.

I suspect that they will revisit it.

Or they did, and couldn't find an implementation that was workable.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 19 2013, 02:35 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Werewindlefr @ Jul 19 2013, 07:04 AM) *
The action economy of this is extremely inefficient. If you can shoot the sam with a capsule round, you can shoot him with a grenade or assault cannon round.

Okay, fine, you need one more success with the assault cannon round. Doesn't exactly justify throwing away a big chunk of cyberpunk flavor.

There was nothing inherently wrong with nanite technology. The devs just do not like it, for whatever reason (or want to take it in a different direction). *shrug*
There were many things I liked about the technology. And yes, there could be horrible in-world abuse as a result of the technology. Tit for Tat. Just like most other technology out there, there are good and bad applications.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:31 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.