Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Troller blades in 5th Edition...
Roy Fokker
post Jul 18 2013, 10:03 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,642

I've been trying to convert over my old squatter Troll Mystic Adept (think equal parts Mr. Miyagi, Tony Robbins, and lovable homeless guy) and realized that inline skates (his preferred "vehicle" of choice as a squatter who carries his belongings with him) are not in the new edition yet. I've been thinking of converting them over to 5e by using the rules as presented in Arsenal with the following additions:

Wireless: You are able to extend or retract wheels with a free action when not running, effectively turning the inline skates into regular boots. You do not receive the movement rate bonuses nor do you have to make tests to stay on your feet due to terrain when in this mode. When not using wireless, switching modes is a complex action that requires you to be stationary.

I realize that the above gear is a tiny, insignificant slice of the overall 5e update but the skates were an important part of his identity (as well as his distinctive appearance!) so figured I'd post the idea here to see if anyone finds an issue with them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wired_SR_AEGIS
post Jul 18 2013, 10:48 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 109,479

*thumbs up* Go forth and conquer.

-Wired_SR_AEGIS

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 18 2013, 11:03 PM
Post #3

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Be sure to look up the collision/ramming rules as well as the discussion threads on same as you might enjoying running over small cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Rubic
post Jul 18 2013, 11:22 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 31,052

I want heelies!! HEELIES!! HEELIES!!!11!!111!!111!1111111!!!!!!!1 /off_meds

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Jul 19 2013, 12:12 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 18 2013, 04:03 PM) *
Be sure to look up the collision/ramming rules as well as the discussion threads on same as you might enjoying running over small cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

That's actually a bad idea because if you treat a player as a vehicle, you have to resist half the ramming damage.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jul 19 2013, 12:40 AM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

If it was me doing it, the wireless bonus would be that the system calculates the terrain in real time, extending and retracting the wheels as necessary to smoothly glide over obstacles as tall as 10 cm.

EDIT: and the free action mentioned above, too.

+Quote Post
Roy Fokker
post Jul 19 2013, 12:56 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 16,642

QUOTE (Aaron @ Jul 18 2013, 08:40 PM) *
If it was me doing it, the wireless bonus would be that the system calculates the terrain in real time, extending and retracting the wheels as necessary to smoothly glide over obstacles as tall as 10 cm.

EDIT: and the free action mentioned above, too.

Hadn't thought about that but I'd be afraid that adding the ability to not have to roll terrain tests (I assume that's what you mean with the above) would be too much of a benefit for 100 nuyen on top of the effectively at will movement boost. I will however have to take a look at the ramming rules as we treated things like that almost like an unarmed combat attack the few times it happened.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Jul 19 2013, 01:43 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

QUOTE (Roy Fokker @ Jul 18 2013, 05:56 PM) *
Hadn't thought about that but I'd be afraid that adding the ability to not have to roll terrain tests (I assume that's what you mean with the above) would be too much of a benefit for 100 nuyen on top of the effectively at will movement boost. I will however have to take a look at the ramming rules as we treated things like that almost like an unarmed combat attack the few times it happened.

SR5 already treats combat from a vehicle not involved in a chase (referred to as Tactical Combat if I recall) as normal attacks.

Want to use your katana to geek a ganger from the back of a speeding motorcycle? Treat it as a regular melee attack. Want to do a drive-by (fly-by, really) in your Banshee at triple-digit speeds? Totally doable, no modifiers even. So if you want to bodyslam someone while troller blading down the street, it's just like running up and punching them normally.

~Umi

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jul 19 2013, 01:53 AM
Post #9

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 18 2013, 09:43 PM) *
So if you want to bodyslam someone while troller blading down the street, it's just like running up and punching them normally.

~Umi

I mentioned it once before, but in Missions at one point I had an anthroform drone jump off a moving motorcycle and punch a ganger in midair. The look of consternation on the GM's face was priceless.

When I had the self-driving motorcycle sprout it's own mechanical arms next pass to do more punching, he threw dice at me.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-k

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 19 2013, 07:38 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 18 2013, 08:53 PM) *
When I had the self-driving motorcycle sprout it's own mechanical arms next pass to do more punching, he threw dice at me.

Did you at least have speaker system call out 'Autobots Transform' right before it punched? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jul 19 2013, 04:08 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 18 2013, 05:53 PM) *
I mentioned it once before, but in Missions at one point I had an anthroform drone jump off a moving motorcycle and punch a ganger in midair. The look of consternation on the GM's face was priceless.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-k

Equally funny, another guy I play with had a sam with a harley scorpion. He sure loved his swords though, especially when some gangers chased us on bikes and he decided to joust them with his sword.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.