Reply to this topicStart new topic
> iorny with D&D terms
tete
post Jul 21 2013, 03:11 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,139

So I never liked the SR4.5 term used by Cain (sorry dude, just always thought SR4A was fine) but after reading SR5 I find myself saying its sorta like Pathfinder. Ironic, I'm using a similar comparison.

For those have been around as long as I have, I like the direction SR5 is going. I'm withholding judgement on actual rules until there is some errata but there are many elements I think I will like based off the current version of the pdf.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slide
post Jul 21 2013, 04:02 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 127,215

I like the throw back to the old inititive system. Also the fact that you need hardware and skill to hack again. no more script kiddies from SR4.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 21 2013, 04:19 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Slide @ Jul 21 2013, 10:02 AM) *
I like the throw back to the old inititive system. Also the fact that you need hardware and skill to hack again. no more script kiddies from SR4.

SR4A had Optional Rules that enforced the Hardware and Skills requirement to be a good Hacker. If you used them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
quentra
post Jul 21 2013, 04:39 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,536

Pathfinder is shit, however. The changes they made included a few bits of surface varnish, breaking the RNG, and still somehow trying to claim that melee was viable once the wizard got 'Fly.' SR5 looks, so far, to be a bit less shit.

+Quote Post
Slide
post Jul 21 2013, 05:02 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 127,215

QUOTE (quentra @ Jul 21 2013, 05:39 PM) *
Pathfinder is shit, however. The changes they made included a few bits of surface varnish, breaking the RNG, and still somehow trying to claim that melee was viable once the wizard got 'Fly.' SR5 looks, so far, to be a bit less shit.

DnD and pathfinder have always been wizzards win.

+Quote Post
RelentlessImp
post Jul 21 2013, 05:10 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,020

QUOTE (Slide @ Jul 21 2013, 11:02 AM) *
DnD and pathfinder have always been wizzards win.

Sort of the point he was making there, Slide.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 21 2013, 05:21 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

fwiw, in pathfinder wizards win by a smaller margin than they did in 3.5 D&D. (that is to say, they buffed fighters and barbarians etc... they just didn't buff them nearly enough to get them up to where wizards are at).

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Jul 21 2013, 05:28 PM
Post #8

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

If you think Fly is unbeatable, learn to magic items.

As for SR, the story went like "I got into tech development and the devs got scared / And said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in 3e"

+Quote Post
quentra
post Jul 21 2013, 05:32 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,536

QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 21 2013, 12:28 PM) *
If you think Fly is unbeatable, learn to magic items.

As for SR, the story went like "I got into tech development and the devs got scared / And said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in 3e"

Magic items mean hoping your GM is nice enough to allow you to get them. (Many are not, or for some inexplicable reason run 'low-magic' games and yet allow people to still play wiz/sorc.)

And in fact, the cool tricks wizards get in PF is /better/ than 3.5. Bonded items? Fuck yeah. No more restricted schools? Double-fuck yeah. An extra dose of special abilities for your chosen school? God, you must hate melee.

+Quote Post
RelentlessImp
post Jul 21 2013, 05:44 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,020

The point is, stop comparing 5E to Pathfinder, please. It's a shitty comparison.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.