IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR5: Ultrasound cyberware vs implanting a single sensor system, Sensor Rules seem to allow cyberlimb capcity
BlackJaw
post Jul 22 2013, 06:39 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,213

The Sensor rules on page 445-446 note that sensor systems and sensor arrays can be placed into almost anything with capacity. The sensor housing list on p446 spicifcally lists Cyberlimb with a max sensor rating of 5. It also lists headware as 2, so I guess sensors in cyberskulls are bit more limited. That seems to make it possible to install MAD scanners, Cyberware scanners, cameras, directional mics, laser mics, etc into a cyber arm, hand, etc.

There is some overlap here with existing cyber sensor systems, like Ultrasound and olfactory. I assume the sensor system on page 446 are external sensor systems that are not expressly integrated into your perceptions. You don't actually smell with an olfactory sensor the way you do with an olfactory booster, and an ultrasound sensor doesn't let you replace your normal vision with ultra sound. Also, of course, the sensors can only be built into limb capacity, not implanted directly into the flesh.

Still, if your looking for ultrasound, spending $500 for a single rating 5 Ultrasound sensor system into a capacity 1 slot of your arm, hand, or torso capcity is lot more cost effective than $60,000 at capacity 2 that a "real" headware ultrasound sensor on page 452. If you have an image-link, I don't think you loose out on much having it as a separate sensor instead of a real implant either.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 22 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Jul 22 2013, 11:39 AM) *
The Sensor rules on page 445-446 note that sensor systems and sensor arrays can be placed into almost anything with capacity. The sensor housing list on p446 spicifcally lists Cyberlimb with a max sensor rating of 5. It also lists headware as 2, so I guess sensors in cyberskulls are bit more limited. That seems to make it possible to install MAD scanners, Cyberware scanners, cameras, directional mics, laser mics, etc into a cyber arm, hand, etc.

There is some overlap here with existing cyber sensor systems, like Ultrasound and olfactory. I assume the sensor system on page 446 are external sensor systems that are not expressly integrated into your perceptions. You don't actually smell with an olfactory sensor the way you do with an olfactory booster, and an ultrasound sensor doesn't let you replace your normal vision with ultra sound. Also, of course, the sensors can only be built into limb capacity, not implanted directly into the flesh.

Still, if your looking for ultrasound, spending $500 for a single rating 5 Ultrasound sensor system into a capacity 1 slot of your arm, hand, or torso capcity is lot more cost effective than $60,000 at capacity 2 that a "real" headware ultrasound sensor on page 452. If you have an image-link, I don't think you loose out on much having it as a separate sensor instead of a real implant either.

I would say that it still qualifies as a Real Implant, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 22 2013, 07:14 PM
Post #3

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Jul 22 2013, 02:39 PM) *
if your looking for ultrasound,

Nice pun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And having some sensors in a hand could be handy for 'peeking' around corners maybe...

+Quote Post
cndblank
post Jul 22 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,685

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 22 2013, 12:49 PM) *
I would say that it still qualifies as a Real Implant, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Didn't 4th allow cybereyes in cyberarms so you could peep around corners?

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 22 2013, 08:05 PM
Post #5

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Yep, you could put them in the palm of the cyberhand, but you also had penalties for multivision unless you closed the main eyes, then you only had to deal with lack of depth perception.

There was a short lived run on cybereyes installed in the fingers, but there were a variety of issues with these and after the infamous 'ProctorDoctorCam' scandal, they sort of fell by the wayside.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.