Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Katanas?
FuelDrop
post Jul 23 2013, 05:29 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

Ok, I'm going to start by saying that Katanas are awesome. Even if there were no practical benefits to using one over a kitchen knife, about half of us would still grab them for our runners because Katana.

However...
If you want something that can't be effectively hidden and screams "I'm a shadowrunner", it's either the Katana or the Panther XXL. Outside of a very small set of circumstances, isn't it better to hide the fact that you're a professional criminal?

What I am trying to say is this: Why are so many runners focused on this sword? What is it about the beautiful, finely crafted distinctive curved blade that captures our imaginations so and sets us running around committing crimes with it? For a professional killer there are many other options out there that are somewhat comparable but lack the distinctive bulk.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Jul 23 2013, 05:31 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

AAGH! I have an escaped clone posting the same thing as me at the same time!!!
I knew I should have nuked that clone lab from orbit while I had the chance. Maybe if everyone ignores him he'll go away.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 23 2013, 05:37 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

I think it's the whole romanticized "Samurai" deal in western culture. A claymore or a zweihander can be just as effective at cleaving a person in two, but it's that Eastern mystique, that lone warrior who can cut down enemies by the dozen, that seems to really draw us towards a weapon like a katana.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Jul 23 2013, 06:01 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Well, besides the whole 'romanticized' thing-compared to a Combat Axe, it does nearly as much damage and a LOT less clumsy and bulky. (Out of game terms; it's more concealable, almost as damaging and has more Accuracy than the combat axe.) It's similar to a Sword, but again, a little better. It does a pretty decent job of cleaving armor as well(AP-3 out of game.)

You don't particularly need a mighty arm to wield one. Average People do pretty decently with it(an average, 3 strength joe would do 6P, -3 AP with the thing, and 1 reach to boot.)

I mean, overall-besides their appearance, they're just a very good weapon on top of it. Though yes-they ARE a little hard to actually hide under something that isn't a trenchcoat. Which I imagine is where 'Katana and Trenchcoat' comes into play.

+Quote Post
Remnar
post Jul 23 2013, 06:02 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,261

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 22 2013, 08:37 PM) *
I think it's the whole romanticized "Samurai" deal in western culture. A claymore or a zweihander can be just as effective at cleaving a person in two, but it's that Eastern mystique, that lone warrior who can cut down enemies by the dozen, that seems to really draw us towards a weapon like a katana.

I agree. But, as a kid who was an avid Conan the Barbarian comic collector and reader, I'll take a broadsword for my runners any time, but that's just the (anti)hero I grew up loving, Conan planting his back against a wall and mowing down warriors until the enemy had to bring in the mages (which is why he should have geeked them first...).

+Quote Post
Remnar
post Jul 23 2013, 06:04 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,261

Also, they fit the old 80's theory of its better.. because it's Japanese...

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Jul 23 2013, 06:12 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Jul 23 2013, 02:01 PM) *
Well, besides the whole 'romanticized' thing-compared to a Combat Axe, it does nearly as much damage and a LOT less clumsy and bulky. (Out of game terms; it's more concealable, almost as damaging and has more Accuracy than the combat axe.) It's similar to a Sword, but again, a little better. It does a pretty decent job of cleaving armor as well(AP-3 out of game.)

You don't particularly need a mighty arm to wield one. Average People do pretty decently with it(an average, 3 strength joe would do 6P, -3 AP with the thing, and 1 reach to boot.)

I mean, overall-besides their appearance, they're just a very good weapon on top of it. Though yes-they ARE a little hard to actually hide under something that isn't a trenchcoat. Which I imagine is where 'Katana and Trenchcoat' comes into play.

Or maybe the combat knife... which costs 1/3rd of the price, has only one point of difference in accuracy and damage, and is massively more concealable.
As to compared to the combat axe... yeah, the appalling accuracy on the axe hurts it badly, but that only becomes a factor if you're really really good.

Maybe that's the appeal: to get the most out of a Katana (in 5th) you need to be very skilled. Ergo, if you're carrying one instead of a combat axe you probably are very skilled... or at least you like to think you are. once again, prestige.

+Quote Post
Lurker37
post Jul 23 2013, 06:19 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 7,959

I imagine it's something to do with them being called 'street samurai' and not 'street highlanders' or 'street knights'.

+Quote Post
DamHawke
post Jul 23 2013, 06:23 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 57,096

It's just....really cool? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Personally I prefer the scarier looking bladed things like katars, but hey that's just me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Jul 23 2013, 06:34 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,835

I saw a documentary on the katana. Supposedly the curved blade was much better at cutting through things.

Here's a cool demonstration video of the two handed great sword.

+Quote Post
Sunshine
post Jul 23 2013, 06:37 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,312

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 23 2013, 07:37 AM) *

Spellbinder nailed it imo. Its the Street Samurai that searches for some kind of meaning in a disrooted (wireless) dystopian world and the one symbol even a 5 year old kid "gets" for Samurai is tha Katana with Iconerism on the rise. I had a "Street Anti-Samurai" by the handle of Claymore in one of my games and he made it a point going against any "katana wielding shmuck" (his worlds not mine) with either his claymore or a claymore (mine that is).

I'd go with the K-Bar (Combat Knife) if I absolutely had to use a blade, and only then.

love and bloodshed,
Sunshine

P.S.: Also Knight Errant got the european counterpart trademarked.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Jul 23 2013, 06:46 AM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Speaking of combat knives, damn I miss my Cougar Fineblade Long. I kinda wish that one would have made it into the core book; it's been around since the old days. (I'd have guessed it may have actually HAD Str+3 Damage on it with a 7 Accuracy, but will probably be a good 4,000 or so itself in price.)

But that combat knife in the book is REALLY good. I'm working on a combat knife based character recently and it's pretty awesome looking so far. (That being said, they do lack the Reach of the Katana. So Knife=Cheaper and more concealable, Katana=a little more damaging, more accuracy, longer, more expensive. But yeah-when it comes down to it-I think the Eastern Culture thing might have a bigger role than how good thing thing actually is.

As for a combat axe, I SO want to make Cyber Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter now.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Jul 23 2013, 06:51 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Any thoughts on the pole arm? reach 3 is pretty nice on the defensive side of things, but it feels like it lacks hitting power.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jul 23 2013, 06:52 AM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Katanas are just better.

Public Service Announcement: TVTropes will ruin your life. Hey, at least they're honest about it.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 23 2013, 07:00 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Okay, one of my story characters in the 2070's is going to get a Dikote™ coated bastard sword...

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Jul 23 2013, 07:06 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Holy Drek! I just looked at the stats for the mono-filament. You want an argument for close combat? This is it.
I think I'll be adding one to my character's arsenal (with a mere strength 2, having preset damage is going to be useful).

To save time: Accuracy 5(7), Reach 2, Damage 12P, AP -8, Availability 12F, price tag 10,000. If you don't have a copy of the book, don't look at that.

That thing is insane!

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 23 2013, 07:09 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jul 23 2013, 12:06 AM) *
Holy Drek! I just looked at the stats for the mono-filament. You want an argument for close combat? This is it.
I think I'll be adding one to my character's arsenal (with a mere strength 2, having preset damage is going to be useful).

To save time: Accuracy 5(7), Reach 2, Damage 12P, AP -8, Availability 12F, price tag 10,000. If you don't have a copy of the book, don't look at that.

That thing is insane!
And a prime target for bricking once the opposing side's decker finds it online.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Jul 23 2013, 07:15 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 23 2013, 03:09 PM) *
And a prime target for bricking once the opposing side's decker finds it online.

I just had an image of police tazing someone wielding a mono-whip pop into my head. The results were not pretty.

I wonder if my GM will let me make called shots to the forearm with my S&S...

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jul 23 2013, 07:20 AM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jul 23 2013, 02:06 AM) *

That thing is insane!

Wait, what? A whip has a wireless bonus?

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Jul 23 2013, 07:22 AM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jul 22 2013, 11:12 PM) *
Or maybe the combat knife... which costs 1/3rd of the price, has only one point of difference in accuracy and damage, and is massively more concealable.

So a tantō? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Wakizashi are already listed as one potential style of the "Sword", so I figure the same thing works for the "Combat Knife", despite it only being described as a KA-BAR style blade. There were even armor-piercing tantō called yoroidōshi, so the only thing you're missing is the blacked-out blade, which is really pretty extraneous.

That said, why katana?

Wootz, my SR5 Street Samurai, uses a katana because he's got a lot to prove, even if it's mostly to himself. He doesn't like the idea of killing being easy, and he believes that by using a hard to wield weapon, he'll be less tempted to kill needlessly. Additionally, his swordsmanship is something for him to practice, and in doing so he not only stays in physical shape, but also hones his mind. He's a very philosophical fellow, and tying his combat ability into his personal principles and perspectives on the universe helps him better manage both of them.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Makki
post Jul 23 2013, 07:27 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

I don't like the fact, that the developers made the Katana the best Blade weapon, just because they think it's the coolest weapon. I'd like to have a chopice of several similarly good weapons crunchwise and then choose whatever makes most sense for my character fluffwise.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 23 2013, 07:28 AM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 23 2013, 12:20 AM) *
Yup. Second accuracy value is if you have it subscribed to your PAN. On top of that, you get a safety feature that prevents you from being entangled by your own whip on the event you roll a glitch.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Jul 23 2013, 07:32 AM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

QUOTE (Makki @ Jul 23 2013, 01:27 AM) *
I don't like the fact that the developers made the Katana the best Blade weapon, just because they think it's the coolest weapon. I'd like to have a choice of several similarly good weapons crunchwise and then choose whatever makes most sense for my character fluffwise.

Then call it a Claymore and move on.

Any two-handed sword with a crummy concealability can use the "katana" stats. Just like a "combat knife" can be a tantō, and just like how the "sword" is listed as being "Available in a wide variety of styles (wakizashi, seax, scimitar, jian, machete, and so on and so forth)". Reskin the weapon however you like, so long as it still operates the same mechanically.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jul 23 2013, 08:51 AM
Post #24

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 23 2013, 09:20 AM) *

Every weapon is wireless now. Not that wireless bonus is given for most of 'em, but hey.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 23 2013, 08:53 AM
Post #25

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Wait a minute...

A monofilament whip is basically a superthin wire.

If I go wireless, all I have is a handle!!

How is that going to be useful at all? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:06 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.