IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jumped In (Hacked) and Erase Mark, What happens when you Erase a Mark on a device someone is in illegally
saiyanslayer
post Jul 24 2013, 03:47 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,039

Quick thought:

You place three Marks on a device (drone) and jump in. Security Decker comes along, notes you do not belong, and Erase Mark the device. Does it immediately jump you out of that device? Do you stay in? Do you get dumpshock?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HugeC
post Jul 25 2013, 05:11 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,563

I guess this guy who has hacked his way into a drone must be a decker with a control rig implant or a TM with the Mind Over Machine echo. The rules are clear that if the drone is destroyed, you get dumpshock. The only other way they discuss jumping out is on purpose, using the Switch Interface Mode action.

Perhaps of note under the Jack Out action on p. 240: "You can’t dump other people except by beating them into submission through Matrix damage."

I think I'd draw the conclusion that once you're jumped in, Erase Mark isn't enough to dump you. You don't use Control Device while jumped in, so you don't need any marks to do stuff. It would prevent you from jumping back in again if you jumped out, though.

Tangent: P. 238 says if you use the Control Device action from your commlink to have your smartgun eject its clip, you have to make an Electronic Warfare + Intuition [Sleaze] test. So you not only can't do it (limit 0), but if you could, GOD would get upset. Maybe that only applies if you're not the owner of the device? I don't know why it should, given that Control Device already requires a certain number of marks.

+Quote Post
Supine
post Jul 27 2013, 03:29 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 130,272

QUOTE (HugeC @ Jul 25 2013, 10:11 AM) *
Tangent: P. 238 says if you use the Control Device action from your commlink to have your smartgun eject its clip, you have to make an Electronic Warfare + Intuition [Sleaze] test. So you not only can't do it (limit 0), but if you could, GOD would get upset. Maybe that only applies if you're not the owner of the device? I don't know why it should, given that Control Device already requires a certain number of marks.

I'd assume it only applies when you're actually hacking someone else's gear. Occam's Razor and all that.

Oh, and instead of a decker with a Rig or a TM, it could be a rigger who also happens to be friends with a decker. I think there's a way for a decker to hack something and invite marks or allow access, but now that I think about it, I'll have to look into it.

+Quote Post
HugeC
post Jul 27 2013, 11:27 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,563

Aha! Here is the bit of rules actually relevant to the OP, from page 269: "If you’re jumped into a drone, the drone’s Matrix icon and your device’s icon merge. When jumped into a drone (or any vehicle for that matter) the attacker can only target you (your persona and the device it’s on) and not your drone."

So you couldn't Erase Mark on the drone, since its icon doesn't exist to interact with as long as the rigger is jumped in.

+Quote Post
Moirdryd
post Jul 27 2013, 11:55 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,944

If you're the owner of the device you don't have to make a roll to make the Device perform an Action via Control Device.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.