IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Return of boosted reflexes, Because it seemed like a good idea at the time.
FuelDrop
post Jul 28 2013, 04:58 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

It was pretty evident to anyone with even a passing knowledge of the rules that the Boosted Reflexes rules for shadowrun 4 (from The Way Of The Samurai) was pretty rubbish. You were better off with a reaction enhancer or wired reflexes, both of which were ironically both cheaper and far better. No sane being ever took them for the crunch.

Now, with the new rules for initiative in 5th edition, boosted reflexes (as presented in TWOTS) are marginally less laughable.

Ess init init dice availability cost

Level 1 0.9 +1 - 2R 15,000
Level 2 1.8 +2 +1D6 2R 32,000
Level 3 2.7 +3 +1D6 2R 47,000

Wireless: stacks with other wireless initiative boosters (max +5 Dice)

Anyone willing to weigh in on whether this would be balanced?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jul 28 2013, 05:21 AM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jul 27 2013, 11:58 PM) *
It was pretty evident to anyone with even a passing knowledge of the rules that the Boosted Reflexes rules for shadowrun 4 (from The Way Of The Samurai) was pretty rubbish. You were better off with a reaction enhancer or wired reflexes, both of which were ironically both cheaper and far better. No sane being ever took them for the crunch.

FWIW, the version that made it into the final WotS cut weren't the ones we initially proposed and wrote in. They were pretty heavily modified, last minute, to bring them in-line with the version of Boosted Reflexes presented in Shadowrun:2050, with only their availability (bargain basement) and cost (compared to their 2050 version) lowered.

From the version you posted here, personally? I'd ditch the Wireless bonus (it's a chemical treatment, and they've always been described as an unfriendly, relatively low-tech, option, that never ever plays well with other upgrades), personally, but drastically lower the nuyen prices (because I still feel they were criminally overpriced in WotS). The niche of BR has always been to be the super cheap, short-term-solution-to-a-long-term-problem, init enhancement. Making them the odd man out in that they're never compatible with other bonuses, but making them dirt cheap to get ahold of, is the way to go, in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jul 28 2013, 05:47 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

Meanwhile, a thing I wanted was a nice chemical injector that you could fill with combat chemicals and 'rush' when needed. If these feature giant plastic tubes filled with (possibly glowing!) full-on glorious 80's colors, then all the better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vno-zV71VWY

Horrible movie, but I'm a sucker for the visuals. UV paint forev's!

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jul 28 2013, 06:08 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

So you basically want Juicers in SR.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jul 28 2013, 06:16 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jul 28 2013, 01:08 AM) *
So you basically want Juicers in SR.

Not familiar with that term, I'm afraid.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jul 28 2013, 06:51 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

thats from the Palladium RPG "Rifts".It's a Char class of a chemically enhanced Superman that only lives for a couple of Months (maybe a Year or two) because he's ..."burning out his body" with the Drugs that improve him
(for him its better to Burn out than to fade away)

With a Dance to the Highlander Soundtrack from Queen
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Freya
post Jul 28 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 85,966

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jul 27 2013, 11:51 PM) *
Medicineman

o/~ I am immortal, I have inside me blood of kings... o/~

Edit: Hrm, the musical note emotes don't come out well in this font.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Jul 28 2013, 02:17 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

QUOTE (Freya @ Jul 28 2013, 10:16 PM) *
o/~ I am immortal, I have inside me blood of kings... o/~

Edit: Hrm, the musical note emotes don't come out well in this font.

I have no rivals, no man could be my equal!

+Quote Post
GiraffeShaman
post Jul 28 2013, 02:30 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 105,715

And this is why people keep wanting to play Immunity to Age characters in 2 year Shadowrun campaigns.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jul 28 2013, 02:40 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jul 28 2013, 01:51 AM) *
thats from the Palladium RPG "Rifts".It's a Char class of a chemically enhanced Superman that only lives for a couple of Months (maybe a Year or two) because he's ..."burning out his body" with the Drugs that improve him
(for him its better to Burn out than to fade away)

Medicineman

Not quite what I had in mind, then, but not a bad analogy.

In essence, you have street thugs who can't keep up with the costs of, say, Wired Reflexes or Muscle replacement, but by thunder, they can afford drugs. So, you set up a nice injection system where they can feed it in when needed. And once you have *one* tube running into your bloodstream, you might as well have a couple more... that way, you can flood yourself with euphorics for your downtime, combat drugs for fighting, 'enhancement' when romantic, and so forth.

Make 'em all color coded for fun. (Blue is for romance, red is for combat, green is for chilling, pink is ... I dunno what pink is, but, it's there and it *glows*, so, hey. Wait... turns out it's for upset stomach. Cool! Some of these things make me queasy.)

+Quote Post
Freya
post Jul 28 2013, 02:44 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 85,966

QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jul 28 2013, 07:40 AM) *
Not quite what I had in mind, then, but not a bad analogy.

In essence, you have street thugs who can't keep up with the costs of, say, Wired Reflexes or Muscle replacement, but by thunder, they can afford drugs. So, you set up a nice injection system where they can feed it in when needed. And once you have *one* tube running into your bloodstream, you might as well have a couple more... that way, you can flood yourself with euphorics for your downtime, combat drugs for fighting, 'enhancement' when romantic, and so forth.

Make 'em all color coded for fun. (Blue is for romance, red is for combat, green is for chilling, pink is ... I dunno what pink is, but, it's there and it *glows*, so, hey. Wait... turns out it's for upset stomach. Cool! Some of these things make me queasy.)

Didn't Unwired do something like that with Reality Amps? Just have three or four different datajacks and switch between them as needed.

+Quote Post
Chance359
post Jul 28 2013, 11:53 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 313

I'd go with 2nd ed version of boosted

1 0.5 essence 15,000 +1d6 initiative
2 1.25 essence 40,000 +1 reaction, +1D6 initiative
3 2.8 essence 90,000 +2 reaction, +2D6 initiative

Not compatible with Wired Reflexes or a Vehicle control rig. I would allow it to be upgraded at a higher level ( you start with regular level 1, you need alpha for level 2, ect) and I would allow it to work with Synaptic booster or reaction enhancers but since they both replace chunks of the users spine.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.