Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR5 Auto Injector?, using drugs faster
j2klbs
post Jul 28 2013, 04:58 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,913

Does anyone know if SR5 has an auto injector to use drugs faster? I looked through the rules but didn't see anything. Maybe it will come with a later book?

~Jason
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 28 2013, 05:00 PM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Sounds like someone has a monkey on their back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

but yes, that would probably be down the road in a future book. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
j2klbs
post Jul 28 2013, 05:22 PM
Post #3

Target

LOL! Yeah! I really like the Adrenaline Pump, but it doesn't work with Wired Reflexes or Synaptic Booster. Therefore, I'm looking at drugs as a way to get more initiative.

But even if I get an auto injector, having the drugs only take effect on the following combat turn may be an unworkable solution.

~Jason

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 29 2013, 01:57 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (j2klbs @ Jul 28 2013, 12:22 PM) *
But even if I get an auto injector, having the drugs only take effect on the following combat turn may be an unworkable solution.

~Jason

cram lasts for hours at a time. should let you cover long stretches where you think you might need to fight, but aren't sure specifically when.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Jul 29 2013, 02:04 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

yeah. Heck, Jazz has a duration between 10 minutes and an hour. If you need more than that when, say, storming a building or ambushing a group of thugs or many other situations where you're going on the offensive then maybe you should consider getting wired.

+Quote Post
j2klbs
post Jul 29 2013, 03:50 AM
Post #6

Target

Cram for a street sam with a high BODY will only last 1 hour.

I'm planning on using Kamikaze + Jazz for +4d6 Initiative, +1 REA/BOD/AGI/WIL, +2 STR/Physical Limit. Drugs are fine for when you know a fight is coming, but a lot of times you don't know when a bunch of goons will pop out at you. But I can always spend edge for +4d6 as well.

~Jason

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Jul 29 2013, 03:52 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

At this point a clarification of the addiction system is probably a good idea. I was a bit confused when I read it, so could someone who understands it lay it bare for us?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 29 2013, 04:30 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jul 28 2013, 11:52 PM) *
At this point a clarification of the addiction system is probably a good idea. I was a bit confused when I read it, so could someone who understands it lay it bare for us?

based on the threads i've read, i'm pretty sure that either none of us know how it works (or is supposed to work), or that you don't want to use them as written anyways.

+Quote Post
Slide
post Jul 29 2013, 04:49 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 127,215

Whats confusing about the addiction system?

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Jul 29 2013, 05:08 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Time to break out The Irate Reader.

Ok, so every time you use an addictive substance during 11-addiction rating weeks in a row (for this we'll roll with jazz for this, so that's 3 weeks) you have to make an addiction check.

Stop right there. Does that mean that I have to use Jazz regularly for at least 3 weeks to risk addiction? It makes little sense!

If you skip a week the clock keeps ticking (On what?!?), but the threshold is reduced by 1... but it resets if you take another dose (IE when you NEED TO TAKE ANOTHER CHECK!). If the threshold reaches 0 you're off the hook (So... your 3 weeks ends early?) until you hit the drugs again.

Here's how I THINK it's supposed to work:

You take Jazz.
You make addiction check against threshold 3.
Gain addiction counters equal to 3 - hits on your addiction check.
Remove 1 counter for every week you go without taking another hit.
If you take another hit, gain (3 - hits on addiction check) counters.
if (11 minus rating) 3 weeks after you first take the drug you still have counters remaining then you're addicted. If the counter is at 0 then you're not.

Probably not a good explanation and could be entirely different to how the designers meant for it to go. What gets me is that this is one of the few rules sections that DOESN'T HAVE an example given.

I'm The Irate Reader, and I really need anger management classes.

+Quote Post
Slide
post Jul 29 2013, 05:44 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 127,215

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jul 29 2013, 01:08 AM) *
Ok, so every time you use an addictive substance during 11-addiction rating weeks in a row (for this we'll roll with jazz for this, so that's 3 weeks) you have to make an addiction check.

You are at a party, you take some Jazz... Your three week counter starts. You lay off the stuff for the next two weeks. Your addiction test threshold is reduced by two. You pass the addiction test. Congrats you are not a Jazz head.
Wait. You started taking jazz again durring week 3. The threshold resets to its original of 3. You fail the test. Congrats, you are a jazz head.

The only issue that I have with the system is that it resets the threshold if you use your vice substance again. (this may be the result of poor writing.) The way I see it is that at the end of the 11-X week period you make the test with a threshold equal to the Substance threshold rating- the number of weeks you didn't use. That is a liberal reading of the rules on my part. but its what makes the most sense and what I belive the intention was.

+Quote Post
j2klbs
post Jul 29 2013, 05:44 AM
Post #12

Target

I completely agree that the addiction rules are awkward.

I don't think they are intended to have "counters" as FuelDrop suggests. I instead think it's supposed to work like this:

Kamikaze - rating 9 threshold 3

First week of use no tests (because 11-9 = 2 weeks in a row). Second consecutive week would incur a test (threshold 3). If, however, no drugs were taken on the second week, then the threshold is reduced by 1. Therefore, if user takes Kamikaze on week 1, skips week 2, and then takes it again on week 3, then he must make addiction test threshold 2.

However, what makes this interpretation seem wrong is the reference to possibly getting addicted to Kamikaze on the first try. With the above interpretation, this would be impossible. However, I know no other way to interpret ---> "Everytime you use <Kamikaze> during <2> weeks in a row, you need to make an Addiction test." The first week of Kamikaze use would not incur a test by interpretation of this sentence.

Also, it seems weird that the rules as written could allow me to go on a complete bender during week 1, taking 20 doses of Kamikaze, but if I quit after the first week, I am okay. On the other hand, the poor guy who takes just 1 dose on week one and another 1 does on week 2 must test for addiction.

As I said, these rules are very awkward.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Jul 29 2013, 06:20 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

It specifies that you need to take a test every time you use the drug. Does that mean that at the end of 11-Arating weeks you make 1 check per dose you took during that time? Again with the guy who took 20 doses of Kamikaze, does he then needs to take 20 threshold 1 checks after a few weeks? (If he's body+willpower 4 or greater (almost certain) then he'll just buy the hits and stave off the addiction)

+Quote Post
j2klbs
post Jul 29 2013, 06:27 AM
Post #14

Target

Hi FuelDrop,

I don't see in the rules where it says every time you take the drug you make the test. Can you please quote that?

Instead, I only see ...

"Every time you use an addictive substance during (11
— Addiction Rating) weeks in a row, you need to make an
Addiction Test."

That section does not say every time you use it, it says every time you use it "during n weeks in a row".

~Jason

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Jul 29 2013, 06:32 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

never mind.

+Quote Post
j2klbs
post Jul 29 2013, 06:54 AM
Post #16

Target

Admittedly, the "every time" and "during" words are confusing and seem to contradict or add confusion to the "weeks in a row" part of the sentence. The sentence reads better without the "every time" and "during" words which leads me to believe that I may not understand the intent.

Can we get a developer to chime in?

~Jason

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:11 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.