IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Early Adopter or Wait and See?
Early Adopter or Wait and See?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 82
Guests cannot vote 
FateBurn
post Jul 31 2013, 10:27 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 129,853

So, my group is playing one last six month Shadowrun campaign using Season 3 and 4 of Missions as a send off to fourth edition. A lot of this is because we want to give Fifth Edition time to get more books and stuff out before we make the leap, and the other part is because we've been playing Fourth for years now. Infact, in my current group, I am one of only two players that started before 4th edition. It seemed like an antiquate end to an age.

It got me thinking though, what is the Dumpshock community doing? Are you an early adopter or are you waiting like us?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doc Chaos
post Jul 31 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,119

Our Shadowrun games are on hold at the moment and will be until the German edition is out. This is mostly because a lot of my group doesn't want to bother with translating stuff, but a strong point was "We want the errata stuff already in the hardcopy".

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Jul 31 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 29,391

Needs a maybe option.

+Quote Post
Isath
post Jul 31 2013, 11:24 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,062

We will complete the current mission with SR4. After that the german version, should be out (presumably with corretions and additional content) and will take us to SR5.

I am not all happy with it, yet it could be worse. Also SR5 is not all bad (some things are rather nice), still the things I don't like about it, I really despise. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
AlDaRoN
post Jul 31 2013, 11:47 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 11,666

I'll wait a bit until the book is errated. Last time I when bought S4 I had to keep like twenty pages of errata with the book.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 31 2013, 11:54 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

Got the main PDf but will wait and see how the other books go, plus it gives me time to sit down and tinker with a few house rules.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 31 2013, 12:28 PM
Post #7

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Will ait until all the core expansions are out before making a final judgement (in German, with Errata and Corrections), but it doesn't look likely I'll switch over, currently. Too many deal breakers that won't go away because Hardy thinks they're features, not flaws.

+Quote Post
DamHawke
post Jul 31 2013, 01:38 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 57,096

Will wait, for erratas and the fact that most of the group just only got onto SR 4 (amidst screaming that SR 3 is/was the only way to go) so...not anytime soon.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Jul 31 2013, 02:46 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

With most things in life early adoption is rarely a good idea, that and with SR you usually want the main supplements before you consider it (unless of course you're waiting for Rigger 5)

+Quote Post
TomPliss
post Jul 31 2013, 02:53 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 100,914

I think I'll get it right away, but i'm cheating :
I'm french. by the time a french version is out, there will be all the reviews I need (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
FateBurn
post Jul 31 2013, 04:06 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 129,853

QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Jul 31 2013, 11:37 AM) *
Needs a maybe option.

Added!

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jul 31 2013, 04:28 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

I'm not any of the above at the moment. Hoping to get in a game of SR5 over the next couple of weeks with friends to see how it plays out and give it a fair shot, just like with SR4 before it (we were skeptical then as well).

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Jul 31 2013, 04:35 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

Waiting. I haven't actually read SR5 yet. I pre-ordered the book, and I'm in a long running SR4 campaign, so there's no real urgency to also get the .pdf.

+Quote Post
Moves
post Jul 31 2013, 04:48 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 115,080

Gonna try it at GenCon with my crew, and if we like it, we'll jump after we run through Season 4 missions.

So, we'll likely make the move in a year or so.

+Quote Post
tete
post Jul 31 2013, 04:53 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

Well since I still run SR2, 3 and 4 depending on my mood I'm jumping in right away but at the same time I'll still go back to 2 and 3, we'll see if i go back to 4.

+Quote Post
Black Mamba
post Jul 31 2013, 05:20 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 3,654

This Poll needs a "Waiting for errata" option.

I like what I've read so far, but there are so many typos, omissions and errors that it's making it difficult to assimilate. There's no way that I would subject new players to the RAW.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Jul 31 2013, 05:29 PM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

I picked up the PDF because I was facing the prospect of actually being a player rather than a GM for once, even if it was just an introductory style PBP game.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jul 31 2013, 06:08 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (Black Mamba @ Jul 31 2013, 01:20 PM) *
This Poll needs a "Waiting for errata" option.

Seconded. I voted "Down the line," meaning when the second printing is out... or whichever one they decide to incorporate the errata into.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 31 2013, 06:18 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

I'm also not sure. Maybe after the splat books are released & there's some official errata to clean things up. Gotta keep reminding myself that this is Shadowrun, not Deckerrun.

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Jul 31 2013, 09:01 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

Needs an option for "I am waiting for the corrected German translation".

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Jul 31 2013, 09:09 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

I'm a probably never.

+Quote Post
Abschalten
post Aug 1 2013, 11:49 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 7,655

Honestly, I don't like what I've seen of SR5 so far. It seems to be a collection of half-assed, half-baked rules changes and an endless series of pointless retcons and nerfs. And I'm not your classical grognard. I was one of the first and earliest adopters of SR4 back when everybody was beating their chest about how much superior SR3 was. I approve of progress and change when it is positive.

But SR5? Sorry. It has failed to impress me. Quite the opposite, it's got me canceling my preorder for the print version of the book, and wishing I had the $20 back for the purchase I made for the PDF.

To the devs, I say better luck next time when you go to SR6. Maybe listen to wistful, misty-eyed grognards less and get some real game developers on staff. Going back to SR4 would be an upgrade at this point.

+Quote Post
SirBedevere
post Aug 1 2013, 05:51 PM
Post #23

Knight Templar

Member No.: 6,424

I'm sticking with my SR2-3 hybrid.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 2 2013, 02:30 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I'll see how I feel after the errata, and maybe some splatbooks, but right now, the rules seem like they set out to take away everything fun from the game. Pointless nerfs to everything, and ill-conceived rules such as the implementation of wireless, mages risking physical Drain from using their Edge, and keeping simple actions but saying you can only attack once a pass anyways, etc.

Honestly, the only reason I haven't completely written the new edition off is that the new edition will displace SR4, just like SR4 displaced SR3, and if I never make the switch, I'll be more marginalized on the forums. I like the rules-related discussions and banter, and I don't want to cut myself off from them. But right now, the rules are a mess. I'll wait until it is at least playable, even if it will still be bad.

+Quote Post
Fabe
post Aug 2 2013, 03:18 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,050

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 31 2013, 02:08 PM) *
Seconded. I voted "Down the line," meaning when the second printing is out... or whichever one they decide to incorporate the errata into.

That is what I plan to do,wait for a second printing or one with all errata corrected,which ever comes first.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:48 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.