IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does it count as something requiring errata if it's just stupid?
eidolon
post Aug 4 2013, 08:33 PM
Post #1

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

From Silencer/suppressor, SR5 p432

Wireless:The silencer/suppressor features a Rating 2
microphone with Rating 2 Select Sound Filter and simple
software that alerts you via AR if your silencer detects
the sound of someone nearby reacting to the sound of
the silenced weapon.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read in the book so far.

Is it listening for someone yelling "HEYGUYZ, I HURD SOME SUPPRESSED GUNSHOTS IM GUNNA CHECK IT OUT?" And if it's listening for someone changing direction and approaching you or something, why doesn't it tell you this all the time instead of only after you fire your weapon? Shouldn't that just be a bit of software available for cyberears or any other audio receiving 'ware or tech?

Pretty sure I'm going to pretend that bit of text isn't in the book.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Isath
post Aug 4 2013, 09:48 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,062

It is sort of stupid and I am pretty sure, that its stupidity has been noted during playtesting... yet it is in the book... why ever.

Still, while I can bend my mind around ways to make this work somehow... in there it has nothing to do with silencers or gunshots...
So yeah why the hell do I have to fragging shoot for that piece of crappy software engineering, to tell me, that someone takes notice of me, or is headed my way...?

If the silencer has to have a wireless bonus, then why doesn't it at least do something directly related to what that thing is doing. Maybe it can wirelessly access data that enables it to supress the sound even better? Noise canceling frequency and such.

+Quote Post
CitM
post Aug 4 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 16,137

Suggestion:

"Wireless: The silencer/suppressor features a Rating 2 microphone with Rating 2 Select Sound Filter and simple
software that detects surrounding noises and frequences, while adjusting the own noises into a ideal direction.
This advancement raises the dice pool modifier on all Perception Tests to notice
the weapon’s use or locate the weapon’s firer by additional -2 to overall -6."

Don´t know if this actually works, but sounds much more consistent to me.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Aug 4 2013, 10:29 PM
Post #4

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

So the suppressor would have movable baffles to direct sound in a direction?

I think if I were to try and write up something that halfway made sense, I'd go with:

"Wireless: The silencer/suppressor features a Rating 2 microphone with Rating 2 Select Sound Filter that wirelessly connect to the user's commlink or cyberdeck, where it utilizes the master device's higher processing power to calculate opposing audio frequencies and then broadcasts them via small speakers to cancel out even more of the fired shot's sound. This advancement raises the dice pool modifier on all Perception Tests to notice the weapon's use or locate the weapon's firer by an additional +1, to an overall -5."

Minus 6 seems awfully high for an additional, additional bonus (which is really what wireless bonuses are).

All in all, though, it's just a piece of gear that doesn't warrant or need a wireless bonus at all. The fact that the bonus given in the text is pants-on-head silly is just icing on the nut cake. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Aug 5 2013, 01:33 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Reacting to the OP, that is a rather stupid bonus. So what happens if a decker happens to brick the suppressor? Does it no longer silence gunshots?

+Quote Post
Novocrane
post Aug 5 2013, 02:51 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 53,036

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Aug 5 2013, 11:33 AM) *
Reacting to the OP, that is a rather stupid bonus. So what happens if a decker happens to brick the suppressor? Does it no longer silence gunshots?

Select sound filter: This lets you block out background
noise and focus on specific sounds or patterns
of sounds. It even includes speech, word, and sound
pattern recognition. Each Rating point lets you select a
single sound group (such as the footsteps of a patrolling
guard or the rotors of a distant helicopter) and focus on
it. You only actively listen to one group at a time, but
you can record the others for later playback or set them
to triggered monitoring (such as sounding an alert if a
conversation brings up a certain topic, or if there’s a variation
in the breathing pattern of a guard dog).

So yes, it literally does allow you to set two sounds or patterns of sounds for alert. I'd use it to listen for approaching footsteps and sound patterns being interrupted after firing, but you're perfectly able to make it listen for stupid things a la Eidolon's opening post.

Unless there's mechanical action involved in the workings of a silencer, I'd imagine it's like bricking a katana that has electronics in the hilt.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.