> SR3.01 - increase reflexes spell
Acenoid
post Aug 6 2013, 07:13 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 133,691

Hi there!

A small question about spells. Is ithere any reason why it would be beneficial to increase the spellpower of the spell "increase reflexees +1/+2/+3" beyond 1?

A second question that just came to my mind with the elementar spell "flamethrower". How does the power affect this spell? Does it only control the constitution roll of the target?
Example: Flamethrower - Power 4 and Sorcery Skill at 6
Mage chooses Medium Damage level (3 blocks) therefore and there are no modifies from the ranged attack:

TN is 4 (range) = and he can roll 6 dice.
Target can evade, as per ranged combat rules. If it fails target has to perform a constitution roll against

4 (power) M (choosen damagelevel)

Drain check for the mage has TN 2 (power/2) S (damagelevel+1 (5 blocks))

Is that correct?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Aug 6 2013, 11:20 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

Your understanding for the flame thrower and therefore most elemental manipulations spells is correct.
The power of the spell really determines how easiy it is to resist but also to stop via spell defence from enemy wizzers.

As to increase reflexees spells dont forget that these can be dispelled by enemy wizzers. The TN being the power of the spell so for Force 1 or 2, thats on a roll of two on any dispell dice. You can bet a ref worth their salt will do this to your character at some point. Then its back to slow montion during combat.

Perfecally valid tactic to do just understand the downside and so dont complain when it happens. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Acenoid
post Aug 6 2013, 11:45 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

It would be still possible to protect my character by assigning spell protection dice from the sorcery pool? (I have yet to read how disspelling works - I think the successes of the former spell have to be negated but the exact rules - i have to look this up). Obviously it's still good then to cast higher power spells (if possible).

Just (sorry but I better ask twice) the drain check works for all spells the same ": Therefore for the reflex +2 I would have to negate power/2 +1 (T)
In case I use power 4 it would be TN3 (T) drain check,

Since you always round down - half the power of 1 would be zero, but I assume that the minimum roll is still 2 as a die roll on one is always a failure, right?

Sorry for repeating maybe some parts of the initial question, I just want to confirm that I got this correctly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Aug 8 2013, 03:07 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

You could protect your character and their teammates in sight with spell protection dice from spells being cast at you but not from one of your active spells being dispelled by an enemy wizzer. I will let you read the dispelling rules for your self as there explained in the book better than I could.

You are right that the net successes of the active spell need to be negated for the spell to be ended by the enemy wizard.

As to the reflexees spells, your right about the drain power, but the damage code is given by the spell Serious/ Deadly/ Deadly. The T stands for range touch.

Again yep a roll of one is always a failure to TN of two is the best you can have.

+Quote Post
T2-Keks
post Aug 8 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 137,217

QUOTE (Acenoid @ Aug 6 2013, 09:13 AM) *
Drain check for the mage has TN 2 (power/2) S (damagelevel+1 (5 blocks))

Is that correct?

No, it's a bit off.
The drain for the flamethrower spell in SR3 is "(TN+1)(damagelevel+1)". In your example of the force 4 flamethrower with M damage that would result in 3S drain. S is 6 blocks. I don't know if your "5" was a typo or if you got the damagelevels wrong. L=1box, M=3, S=6, T=10.

I assume you are from germany if you have the "T" in the damagecodes?

+Quote Post
Acenoid
post Aug 9 2013, 05:54 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Hi there and thanks for the replies and your help!

QUOTE (T2-Keks @ Aug 8 2013, 06:00 PM) *
No, it's a bit off.
The drain for the flamethrower spell in SR3 is "(TN+1)(damagelevel+1)". In your example of the force 4 flamethrower with M damage that would result in 3S drain. S is 6 blocks. I don't know if your "5" was a typo or if you got the damagelevels wrong. L=1box, M=3, S=6, T=10.

I assume you are from germany if you have the "T" in the damagecodes?

Yes I'm from Germany so from time to time I have to guess around with the proper english wordings. T is in fact the Deadly damage level. The 5 boxes were a typo.

Thanks for pointing out the proper drain check code. I have to pay more attention to them.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.