IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trolls and Sprinting question in SR5, Why Trolls have the same Sprint as a Dwarf
Major Doom
post Aug 6 2013, 06:06 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,111

I am curious as to why a Troll would have the same Sprint rate (+1m/hit) as a Dwarf in SR5, and not equal to or more than an Elf, Human, or Ork? Is it because they are consider large lumbering creatures? Or was this a publishing mistake, just like Dwarves are supposed to have Thermographic Vision, which will be fixed in the upcoming official errata?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Aug 6 2013, 06:14 PM
Post #2

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

Shadowrun trolls aren't supposed to be particularly fast. This was a point that was missed in SR4. Not that the movement rules in SR4 made any sense whatsoever anyway.

+Quote Post
Skynet
post Aug 6 2013, 06:14 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 127,501

Probably just a fix so they're not all naturally good at sprinting (because of their innate strength-bonus).

+Quote Post
DrZaius
post Aug 6 2013, 06:17 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,360

QUOTE (Major Doom @ Aug 6 2013, 02:06 PM) *
I am curious as to why a Troll would have the same Sprint rate (+1m/hit) as a Dwarf in SR5, and not equal to or more than an Elf, Human, or Ork? Is it because they are consider large lumbering creatures? Or was this a publishing mistake, just like Dwarves are supposed to have Thermographic Vision, which will be fixed in the upcoming official errata?

I haven't heard it mentioned in any of the errata discussions, leading me to believe it was intentional. I think "Large, lumbering" would probably be an apt description of what they had in mind. Additionally, remember that Running is a Strength test; it may be a balance issue with Trolls outpacing vehicles given their massive strength. Also keep in mind that distance running is based on Body, another thing Trolls excel at. So they may be slow, but they can accelerate quickly and can stay running longer than most.

-DrZ

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 6 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

This was one of the changes I was very pleased to see in SR5. The SR4 sprint-troll was a silly glitch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 6 2013, 06:45 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 6 2013, 12:23 PM) *
This was one of the changes I was very pleased to see in SR5. The SR4 sprint-troll was a silly glitch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Indeed it was... Not that people did not take advantage of that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 6 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #7

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

And if you still really need that extra bit of get up and go, ask your mage to have a spirit use movement on you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 6 2013, 06:55 PM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Trolls had a -1 to Qck under SR1 to SR3 i think, but the same running multiplier as everybody else.
Dorfs had normal QCK but only an x2 running multiplier and not an x3 as opposed to everybody else.
If anything, DORFS should be slower than anybody else. Only when thrown should they be faster.

+Quote Post
LordlierPie
post Aug 6 2013, 06:58 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 129,643

My group did on accident one time... we were given a very difficult job of making a very, very public, very distracting wet-work hit in a mirror shades game. A troll enforcer for the Vory was starting to sell out to the Star, and they wanted to make an example of him. the vory unfortunately had some pretty high marks on us so we couldnt exactly say no...

we decided the safest way to go about it was a DMSO/K10 gel round from a rifle as the mark was walking down the street. that part worked perfectly. the less then perfect part was where my ork bio-sam was on the same street. one round of perception checks later and it became a foot race. the race ended poorly. i only got out of there through an insane edge roll to jump across a blvd (note, through exploding 6's i literally jumped the entire 4 lanes of traffic, kinda epic cinematic) the troll made it across 3, and hit a bus. the impact triggered the berserk mode of K10, and he proceeded to hulk smash everyone and everything on the bus till the star gunned him down.

+Quote Post
Isath
post Aug 6 2013, 07:11 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,062

This will be by design. Trolls are a huge bulky and unproportionate mass of meat and bones. They are rather strong, but have elongated arms and shortended legs. All this is not good for sprinting.

This is according to fluff and according to balance a good decision.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 6 2013, 07:20 PM
Post #11

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

The same can be said for Gorillas and they are fucking fast.

+Quote Post
Skynet
post Aug 6 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 127,501

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 6 2013, 09:20 PM) *
The same can be said for Gorillas and they are fucking fast.

As are most legged animals when compared to humans. I bet if you force the gorilla to use only its hind-legs it would be pretty slow (and probably look hilarious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ).

+Quote Post
Major Doom
post Aug 7 2013, 12:40 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 19,111

Thanks all for the feedback.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.