Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR5 Season 5 "Hot Patch Errata v1,0"
Bull
post Aug 7 2013, 12:49 PM
Post #1

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Shadowrun 5th Ed Missions "Hot Patch Errata v1.0" now available! This is a temporary Errata document to cover the bare basics for Shadowrun 5, Missions Season 5, and Character Creation. This is not the final SR5 Errata, and some things may change when that is released, but this document will see you through Gen Con and Dragon*Con as needed until the official Errata is finished and published.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1203480...rata%20v1.0.pdf
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Masked Ferre...
post Aug 7 2013, 02:53 PM
Post #2

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,018

Yay for the shout out for Dragon*Con!

Are there prices for grid subscriptions, other than the ones that you get with your lifestyle?

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 7 2013, 05:39 PM
Post #3

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

not yet. That will Likely be Matrix sourcebook. Just gotta hack em for now.

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Aug 7 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 459

Wow, background counts are pretty much universally bad now. Even if you are in a matching aspect you only get a Limit bonus (whoop-de-freakin'-doo).

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Aug 8 2013, 12:56 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 29,391

Exactly how common and how bad are the background counts going to be in S5 (i.e what dice pool will I need to stay effective in missions).

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 8 2013, 01:04 AM
Post #6

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

It will vary from mission to Mission. 2 is a constant issue in the Zone. outside the zone there's often little to no count. Near the Cermak site it ramps up a bunch, and the Cermak Crater is basically a void zone.

It's something I'll be leaving open to writers, largely. Chicago is NOT a nice place for anyone to be in, so I'm not pulling punches, but at the same token I'm not going to let a writer do an entire adventure where ou're dealing with a 6+ BGC the entire time either, as I don;t want to completely neuter entire characters.

Bull

+Quote Post
forgarn
post Aug 8 2013, 12:13 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,988

QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 7 2013, 08:04 PM) *
It will vary from mission to Mission. 2 is a constant issue in the Zone. outside the zone there's often little to no count. Near the Cermak site it ramps up a bunch, and the Cermak Crater is basically a void zone.

It's something I'll be leaving open to writers, largely. Chicago is NOT a nice place for anyone to be in, so I'm not pulling punches, but at the same token I'm not going to let a writer do an entire adventure where ou're dealing with a 6+ BGC the entire time either, as I don;t want to completely neuter entire characters.

Bull

Please do!! It helps eliminate those that only know how to min/max and it helps create well rounded characters. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Aug 8 2013, 12:46 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Actually it forces you to max out all magic using pools as fast as possible so you can still cast/shoot inside areas with high BGC.

"Background Counts impose a negative Dice Pool penalty equal to their rating for all tests that are linked to or utilize magic in any way")
Does this mean an adept that has improved skill at rank 1 in a void zone is going to have a -|12+| dice pool modifier or someone with rapid healing won't heal at all? Or is it a max modifier of your bonus from magic?

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Aug 8 2013, 04:51 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,778

Bull,

By "Power Points cost 5 Karma per point instead of 2 Karma per point, and may be purchased up to your starting
magic rating," do you mean that Mystic Adepts can purchase PP up to their starting chargen Magic rating after Chargen as well, eg, a MysAd who starts with Magic 4 and 1 PP can later pay 15 karma to have 3 more PP (but not more - even if he raises his Magic later)?

The reason I ask is the book does not appear to allow MysAds to buy more PP with karma later, even if they started chargen below their "cap."

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 8 2013, 05:06 PM
Post #10

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Aug 8 2013, 11:51 AM) *
Bull,

By "Power Points cost 5 Karma per point instead of 2 Karma per point, and may be purchased up to your starting
magic rating," do you mean that Mystic Adepts can purchase PP up to their starting chargen Magic rating after Chargen as well, eg, a MysAd who starts with Magic 4 and 1 PP can later pay 15 karma to have 3 more PP (but not more - even if he raises his Magic later)?

The reason I ask is the book does not appear to allow MysAds to buy more PP with karma later, even if they started chargen below their "cap."

No. That's a simplification and summarization of the book rule, that's all. the core rules still apply, you just replace the "2" with the "5" and go from there.

You cannot buy any additional Power Points directly with karma after Chargen. You must Initiate and take the Power Point metamagic option to gain any addition PP's.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 8 2013, 05:29 PM
Post #11

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Aug 8 2013, 07:46 AM) *
Actually it forces you to max out all magic using pools as fast as possible so you can still cast/shoot inside areas with high BGC.

"Background Counts impose a negative Dice Pool penalty equal to their rating for all tests that are linked to or utilize magic in any way")
Does this mean an adept that has improved skill at rank 1 in a void zone is going to have a -|12+| dice pool modifier or someone with rapid healing won't heal at all? Or is it a max modifier of your bonus from magic?

1) Adepts can choose not to utilize their powers. Don't activate the power, don't take any negatives. Just have to use your base skills and abilties.

2) It's a dice Penalty equal to the full force Backrgound Count. So if it's a background count of -8, you lose 8 dice from your pool, regardless of your modifier from Adept abilities, even if you're Inmproved Skill only gives you a +2 Dice. So it's sometimes better to turn the power off (and lose 2 dice) than to keep going with it and lose 8 dice.

3) If you're in a Void or Flux (BGC or Aspected BGC of 13+), and you activate an ability, you not only take the dice pool penalty but you also take unresisted stun damage equal to BGC-12. each turn. Again, not wise to use powers.

We still need to figure out exactly how it impacts a few adept abilities that don't use dice pools, but this generally covers the basics.

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Aug 8 2013, 08:15 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,778

QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 8 2013, 12:06 PM) *
No. That's a simplification and summarization of the book rule, that's all. the core rules still apply, you just replace the "2" with the "5" and go from there.

You cannot buy any additional Power Points directly with karma after Chargen. You must Initiate and take the Power Point metamagic option to gain any addition PP's.

Thanks - a number of people weren't sure.

+Quote Post
bonehead
post Aug 8 2013, 09:21 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 18,674

Would a background count impose its dice pool penalty on Improved Attribute, Improved Reflexes, Adrenal Boost, or Attribute Boost?

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 8 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #14

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (bonehead @ Aug 8 2013, 04:21 PM) *
Would a background count impose its dice pool penalty on Improved Attribute, Improved Reflexes, Adrenal Boost, or Attribute Boost?

For any power that Boosts or Increases a skill or an attribute, either permanently or temporarily, any dice pool based on that magically boosted skill or attribute gets a penalty. This includes boosts through spells and foci.

For Improved Reflexes, this would specifically apply to any Reaction based dice pools, since your Reaction is enhanced.

However, for the moment (And this may change when the official errata is released), since Initiative is not a Dice Pool, it is not effected by the penalty.

Any tests to "cast" or "activate" the ability (Such as with Attribute Boost) would be affected, as are any drain tests.

Plus keep in mind, penalty or not, if you end up in a Void or Flux (BGC 13+), you WILL take damage each turn if you have any magical effect active.

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Aug 8 2013, 11:42 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Bull, you have been really good in answering all these questions, especially considering that you have a lot to prepare for at the moment, and I would just like to say thank you.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 9 2013, 12:07 AM
Post #16

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Aug 8 2013, 07:42 PM) *
Bull, you have been really good in answering all these questions, especially considering that you have a lot to prepare for at the moment, and I would just like to say thank you.

My pleasure. I know it's important for our players, so trying to do what I can to help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
bonehead
post Aug 9 2013, 02:14 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 18,674

QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Aug 8 2013, 07:42 PM) *

Agreed. Thanks for answering all these questions. On two forums. While getting ready for Gen Con. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Aug 28 2013, 04:50 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

Glad to see this, Bull. I'm gearing up to maybe run some SR5, and I'd kinda like my own errata to be close enough to Missions' that my players won't be fish out of water. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
wilcoxon
post Jan 6 2014, 05:00 AM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 9,529

QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 8 2013, 01:06 PM) *

That is a massive nerfing of Mystic Adepts. You can not buy 6 power points at chargen any longer (at least without cutting into positive qualities). You do not acquire power points in any way other than selecting them in place of meta-magic post-creation.

I could see an increase in power point cost to 3 or 4 karma. I could see having to pay that for power points post-creation (I assumed the "free" part was a mistake for Mystic Adepts) when magic is raised or if you started with fewer power points than your magic attribute but not removing it altogether.

And here the Mystic Adept finally looked playable in 5th ed - back to Mystic Adepts being useless compared to either mages or phys ads unless this is revisited in the final errata.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jan 7 2014, 01:33 PM
Post #20

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (wilcoxon @ Jan 6 2014, 12:00 AM) *
That is a massive nerfing of Mystic Adepts. You can not buy 6 power points at chargen any longer (at least without cutting into positive qualities). You do not acquire power points in any way other than selecting them in place of meta-magic post-creation.

Most of the MystAds I have been seeing in Missions even after the 'nerf' are pretty superior to pure adepts and magicians. So you have fewer points for Qualities. There has to be SOME cost for having access to the abilities of two archetypes, and frankly the previous costs were not enough.

It is telling that most of the powergamers at launch were playing MystAds.

-k

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Jan 7 2014, 01:56 PM
Post #21

jacked in

Member No.: 463

QUOTE (wilcoxon @ Jan 6 2014, 06:00 AM) *
And here the Mystic Adept finally looked playable in 5th ed

If by "playable" you mean "better than everyone else by factor 1.5 to 2 at least", then... yeah! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Mystic Adepts as printed in the SR5 book are grossly overpowered.

A balancing "nerf" is most definitely necessary to keep their power in line.

The only thing I do not like in this one here is the "no PP from raising Magic".
You should get PP from that, even if you have to pay another 5 Karma each.

My own house rule for Mystic Adepts cuts their power quite harsh as well:

Mystic Adepts combine the aspects of Aspected Magician (without Astral Perception) and Adept (no Karma cost for initial PP, but gain only 0.5 PP per point of Magic, plus full PP from Metamagic).

Priorities:

A - Mystic Adept: Magic 6, one Rating 5 Magical skill group, Astral Perception
B - Mystic Adept: Magic 4, one Rating 4 Magical skill group
C - Mystic Adept: Magic 3, one Rating 3 Magical skill

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.