Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adding Flexibility to Spells
Voran
post Aug 8 2013, 09:28 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,099

I could use your assistance to see if this is possible, and if so, what appropriate stats for it might be.

Basically I'd like a physical barrier spell that when cast, you decide to narrow its range of effect, while in turn increasing its effectiveness against that range of effects.

So you can cast it as normal, 1 armor/structure rating per hit. Or you can fiddle with its range of effect before casting.

Fiddling with the effect can result in a barrier that's better versus small fast projectiles like bullets and arrows and flechettes, but consequently does nothing for 'thrown' objects or larger. You could make a barrier suitable for affecting big things like cars, maybe trolls, but anything smaller would be unimpeded. Would such an effect be too broad/powerful? Could you say make it like the Dune personal shields (the slow blade pierces, etc)

Should I keep the 1 armor/structure per hit mechanic and instead make this modified barrier 'easier to cast' as in less-drain, or some other approach?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Aug 8 2013, 09:38 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Though SR5 spell creation rules are not yet available, in previous editions, you could make specific target spells, that only affected certain things. Such as Wreck Gun, and such. So I see no reason you couldn't make a "Physical barrier: Bullets" that only stops bullets, but not the knife, car, or fist coming at you. (All three. Yes, you're having a bad day)

+Quote Post
Voran
post Aug 8 2013, 09:50 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Would "Grenade, Rocket, Mortar" be too broad?

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 8 2013, 09:57 PM
Post #4

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

QUOTE (Voran @ Aug 8 2013, 04:50 PM) *
Would "Grenade, Rocket, Mortar" be too broad?

Explosion or Concussive Force maybe?

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Aug 8 2013, 10:00 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

I'd go with Sendaz's solution. Of course, if the grenade penetrates the barrier first....

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 8 2013, 10:09 PM
Post #6

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Aug 8 2013, 06:00 PM) *
I'd go with Sendaz's solution. Of course, if the grenade penetrates the barrier first....

Well that is the risk you run with using a filtered (specific defense) magic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

For this case you might want to tweak the Armor spell instead of the Barrier, that way the protection is unlikely to be circumnavigated (penetrating prior to exploding) unless they actually hit you physically with that grenade first. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Aug 9 2013, 01:36 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

Bullet Barrier was an old favorite in earlier editions. Also a favorite for anchoring, tied to a detection spell.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.