Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Etiquette, Or the one thing they shouldn't have changed from 2e
Lobo0705
post Aug 16 2013, 12:56 AM
Post #1

Prime Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 140,076

Perhaps it is my own pet peeve, but I've never really liked that they mashed all the various etiquettes into one skill now.

Sure, you can specialize and get a couple extra dice, but just dropping 6 skill points into the Etiquette skill means you can handle yourself in any situation.

That rubs me wrong way. In 3e, I had a house rule that kept each etiquette as a individual skill, Street, Corporate, Organized Crime, etc - but you could raise it using karma as a specialization (so as not to punish the players too much.)

The result was the runner who was brought up in the barrens and dealt with the people who hung out in that area would have Street Etiquette, and he would be able to buy illegal weapons, score drugs, know who to talk to when he needed info, etc - but if you put him in a boardroom or in a Native American tribal council he would stick out like a sore thumb - I don't care how charismatic he was - he just wouldn't know the nuances and body languages to fit in.

Similarly, the runner who came from a corporate background would have corporate etiquette - and would have the reverse problem.

In many cases, players took multiple etiquettes, but usually a primary and a secondary - so that runner from the barrens might have a street etiquette of 5, and after a while of dealing with corporate drek, would buy a corporate etiquette of 2 or 3 so as not to stick out so badly.

It is just to homogenized now for my tastes.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slide
post Aug 16 2013, 01:12 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 127,215

My etiquette, negotiation, intimidation, con, and seduction checks are all done with a Rugger Supper Warhawk.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Aug 16 2013, 01:13 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 5,729

QUOTE (Slide @ Aug 15 2013, 09:12 PM) *
My etiquette, negotiation, intimidation, con, and seduction checks are all done with a Rugger Supper Warhawk.

This.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Aug 16 2013, 01:15 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

QUOTE (Slide @ Aug 16 2013, 09:12 AM) *

Ah yes, the last argument of kings. If ever there was a universal language its either this or the chainsaw (the great communicator)

+Quote Post
RHat
post Aug 16 2013, 01:24 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 76,875

There is always the option to leverage the character's Knowledge skills in terms of how well they fit into a given situation - if you don't understand the details, it can be pretty easy to say the wrong thing.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Aug 16 2013, 02:03 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

QUOTE (Slide @ Aug 15 2013, 07:12 PM) *
Nothing says GTFO like the distinct sound of a 10-gauge shotgun being pumped.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Aug 16 2013, 02:17 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Aug 16 2013, 10:03 AM) *
Nothing says GTFO like the distinct sound of a 10-gauge shotgun being pumped.

At least until 1 gauge shotguns become popular...

Man, that would be an arm breaker!

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Aug 16 2013, 02:27 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,343

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Aug 16 2013, 11:17 AM) *

I believe that is called a 3 inch canon, but I could be mistaken.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Aug 16 2013, 04:41 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

This is a 2 gauge, so something twice as big for a 1 gauge?

~Umi

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Aug 16 2013, 05:11 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Umidori @ Aug 16 2013, 12:41 PM) *
This is a 2 gauge, so something twice as big for a 1 gauge?

~Umi

Yeah, pretty sure it's troll only.

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Aug 16 2013, 05:34 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

Lobo:
You're forgetting that there was a skill web which would allow you to use a closely related skill to do the task. (p70 SR2)

I never actually saw a well-made face character bother with the etiquette skill.

They'd simply roll their pimped negotiation skill with a minor +2 penalty. Then negotiation became ANY needed etiquette sub-skill.

Similarly for non-faces... I remember GM's handwaving it away and allowing other etiquettes to be used at the same +2 penalty to sub for another etiquette.

In practice this is little different than getting ranks in etiquette now then specializing it in one particular type.

So I find your base argument flawed in the extreme given the particulars of the SR2 system and common min/maxing tricks.

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Aug 16 2013, 08:26 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 29,391

QUOTE (Slide @ Aug 16 2013, 11:12 AM) *

Not the Cavalier Arms Sheriff?

+Quote Post
Lobo0705
post Aug 16 2013, 12:01 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Member No.: 140,076

QUOTE (Falconer @ Aug 16 2013, 12:34 AM) *
Lobo:
You're forgetting that there was a skill web which would allow you to use a closely related skill to do the task. (p70 SR2)

I never actually saw a well-made face character bother with the etiquette skill.

They'd simply roll their pimped negotiation skill with a minor +2 penalty. Then negotiation became ANY needed etiquette sub-skill.

Similarly for non-faces... I remember GM's handwaving it away and allowing other etiquettes to be used at the same +2 penalty to sub for another etiquette.

In practice this is little different than getting ranks in etiquette now then specializing it in one particular type.

So I find your base argument flawed in the extreme given the particulars of the SR2 system and common min/maxing tricks.

Except for a couple things:

A) I'm not talking just about face characters, I'm talking about ALL characters.

B) A +2 penalty in SR2 and 3 is is NOT a minor penalty. In SR5 if I have an average character, with a stat and skill combo of 6 (non-face) then rolling 4 or 6 dice means I average slightly more than 1 success instead of 2. If I have a face and I'm rolling 12 dice normally, then I roll on average slightly more than 3 successes instead of 4. A +2 target modifier in SR2 or 3 means a lot more than that. Consider that the average difficulty in a social test back then was 4. Remember also that the test was simply skill based - there was no skill+stat. (Later on, they added the optional "Social Pool" but that is not standard). So unless your character has Tailored Pheromones (which most characters don't), their tests are going to go from a 4 to a 6. So now instead of a 50% chance to hit per die, it is now 16% per die. So if you only have a skill of 3 or 4 you can easily not roll any successes. If you had a high skill, and lets say you were using social pool - so now you are rolling 12 dice, instead of averaging 6 hits, you are now only averaging 2. BIG difference.

C) Subbing Negotiation is also assuming that what you were doing was face to face. If the character was trying to determine if he knew some information, based on his familiarity with the area - you could use Street Etiquette to make that roll (or an appropriate knowledge skill). If the character lacked either of those skills, you were not going to be able to default to Negotiation to figure it out. Now you are defaulting to an Attribute, which is now a +4 TN.

D) You are talking about min/maxing a system, I'm talking about how the system itself changed. Before, you could default at a significant penalty - thus, yes - it didn't mean that the street-level ganger could not possibly interact with the members of the boardroom - he just did it at a significant penalty - while when he was on his own turn, he didn't have that. Now you have people who are at home EVERYWHERE - and are a minor tick better in one situation. I know from a roleplaying situation which one I prefer.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 16 2013, 04:01 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Aug 15 2013, 08:17 PM) *

You are looking for the 2-Bore (you can get custom ones in England starting at about $26,000).... Anything bigger is a True Punt Gun/Cannon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I believe that Umidori provided a Video for that one.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 16 2013, 04:06 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Falconer @ Aug 15 2013, 11:34 PM) *
Lobo:

See, I don't agree with sliding through Society using your Negotiation abilities. When our GM calls for an Etiquette Test, Negotiation is not an option.
Of course, it sounds like you are talking Skill web, here, so that would work in previous editions. Still don't agree with it, though.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Aug 16 2013, 09:53 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 16 2013, 09:06 AM) *
See, I don't agree with sliding through Society using your Negotiation abilities. When our GM calls for an Etiquette Test, Negotiation is not an option.

*a team of Runners is meeting with a local Yakuza boss*

"Hey, oyabun! How's it hanging? How's the crimes? Good, right? Kill any drekheads lately? Me, I killed so many I lost count!"

*stony silence*

"So anyways, I figured, you and me, baby! We could get into business together, make some money, kill some people, have some laughs, it'll be swell!"

*the Yakuza boss turns and whispers something into his retainer's ear*

"Now, I know you're a busy, and I mean busy, guy! So let's get right down to brass tacks. I'm in the market for information on a local MCT compound, and let's just say a little birdie told me you'd be the guy to go to, amirite? I'll give you... hmm... 3k for the word on how to get into the research wing on the third basement floor. Deal? No? Fine, fine, I'll go as high as thirty five hundred, but not a nuyen more!"

*the retainer walks over to the wall and takes down a vintage katana, which he unsheaths, before approaching the Negotiator*

"Oh hey, that's a nice wall piece! Doesn't exactly match my decor, but I could probably find a place for it in my bathroom. I'll give you two and a half... wait... what are you doing? Cut it out, buddy! This isn't funny! Stop! No! Wait! I'll pay you whatever you want! Just put down th-"

*SPLORT*

~Umi

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 16 2013, 10:15 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner Ascendant

Heh... Exactly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Jizmack
post Aug 16 2013, 10:42 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,151

QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Aug 15 2013, 05:56 PM) *
Perhaps it is my own pet peeve, but I've never really liked that they mashed all the various etiquettes into one skill now.

I ran a 4th edition campaign and changed the specialization options for Etiquette to make it a more universal skill. The threshold value would be specific to each situation, where if the character has similar background then the threshold would be lower.

Specialization: Assimilate
Test: Threshold
Action: Character attempts to avoid attention in a foreign or stressful situation by following local customs and mores, assimilating gestures and attire, adopting an inconspicuous posture and mannerism, and engaging in unassuming conversations. Each specific setting or circumstance has a Threshold based on cultural difference and the character’s attire.
Result: If successes meet or exceed the threshold then the character does not draw unwanted attention and appears ordinary to others, so long as they are not actively looking for the character.

Specialization: Ease Suspicions
Test: Threshold
Action: Character attempts to verbally prevent combat in a confrontational situation or stressful encounter by assuming a nonthreatening posture to pacify tensions and divert any fears with amiable expressions. The situation or encounter has a Threshold value based on disposition, being outnumbered, etc.
Result: If successes meet or exceed the threshold then combat is avoided and basic dialog may begin, like Negotiation, Con, etc.

Specialization: Build Rapport
Test: Extended
Action: Character attempts to gain the trust of others in an uncooperative setting by mimicking mannerisms and subtle behaviors, giving small gifts or favors (verbal or physical), and establishing commonalities. Each specific setting has a Threshold based on social and motivational differences of the parties involved. Interval is typically hours.
Result: If accumulated successes meet or exceed the threshold then the character gains the cooperation or acceptance of the key person or group.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.