Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My first character., Hello there!
Ren
post Aug 16 2013, 09:28 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,790

This is an old account, but I'm sort of new to this forum. Hello there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm in my first Shadowrun game pretty much, ever, and I had two questions.

First! Could you guys look at my character and give feedback? Shadowrun seems to be maximum crunchy, so a skim-over from experts, I think, couldn't hurt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oV-eDqy...yAxws-B2aI/edit Her deal is basically as a first-generation elf that never grew up, psychologically, and still has a slew of jobs like bartender, pizza delivery, stuffer shack clerk, which she uses to fund her hobby: tooling around on the Matrix. Her emergence and the death of her human sister forced her to rethink her life. Her bar, which she may live above, is a runner haven, so it's not so difficult to use her new powers in the shadows.

Second question and the reason I actually made this thread: Is there a Sperethiel word for hacker or decker? I was hoping I could take a name that, in sperethiel, essentially means "I AM TOTALLY A DECKER, YOU GUYS, I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT THIS TECHNOMANCER BUSINESS BECAUSE I AM A DECKER WHO DECKS."

That would be far too long in english.

Or japanese.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fiddler
post Aug 17 2013, 05:09 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 144,074

Seems redundant to be a decker and a technomancer but that's my 2 cents.

I kinda like hitting elvish word sites for my elves Nolmė means philosophy or science sounds kinda cool for a decker.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Aug 17 2013, 05:27 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

"Incompetent" is a breathtakingly bad quality. Incompetent (Influence group) means that your elf has no concept of basic social mores, no concept of lying or deceit, no concept of haggling for better pay... I strongly recommend you either find a different 5-Karma quality, or find a place you can shave 5 Karma.

+Quote Post
Fiddler
post Aug 17 2013, 05:42 AM
Post #4

Target

Yeah missed that a bartender usually needs to be a social person as well otherwise no tips which is what they mainly survive on. Virtual personality will hurt you there and the combo of that and the incompetent will really hurt

+Quote Post
Slide
post Aug 17 2013, 05:51 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 127,215

I don't know much about necromancers, but yeah incompetent influence is possibly the worst incompetent to take. I mean you almost took uncouth by doing that. I'd recomend dropping it for an allergy or something. or there was umm.... socially awkward(?) or something like that that may fit what you are going for.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Aug 17 2013, 06:03 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Social Stress seems like it would be very fitting for this type of character. Could drop the Incompetent to Mild Allergy/Uncommon Substance, perhaps. (Though it looks like the Matrix Personality thing might be the Social Stress.)

Otherwise, besides the Incompetent, it looks solid overall! I'm not the biggest Technomancer expert, and yeah, a little redundant but it's a pretty funny idea, in any case, that someone whose already a decker emerges and then they don't quite want to give up the old way.

+Quote Post
Ren
post Aug 17 2013, 07:27 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 17,790

Thank you for the advice, everyone. I'll replace incompetent with something else. Just...don't know what yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And to clarify, she's not a decker, just a technomancer. The joke is sort of repeatedly insisting she's a decker when that's not the case.

+Quote Post
pragma
post Aug 17 2013, 09:29 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 7,336

You might make up your incompetence karma by dropping analytical mind. It's good flavor for a decker/TM, but the situations where those two bonus dice comes up varies a lot by GM and it may not be useful at your table. I house rule it out of existence because of that ambiguity. If you keep it, just make sure you're not afraid to ask when opportunities come up.

I recommend getting a strength greater than 1, probably by pulling a point from agility. It's useful to be able to default when strength based skill tests come up; if you are forced against your will to run, climb, or swim then you at least want to be able to roll.

Etiquette is a great skill, so is negotiation. If you can part with palming or disguise, a point or two in those will make your life much better. Didn't follow all the backstory details, so if you're trying to play someone antisocial then feel free to disregard this advice.

+Quote Post
Mal-2
post Aug 17 2013, 02:34 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 5,889

The age is too high -- if your character is 85, then they were born in 1990, decades before most of the elves started appearing. I don't think it fits in well with the background you've described either, unless your human sister died of old age.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 17 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Mal-2 @ Aug 17 2013, 07:34 AM) *
The age is too high -- if your character is 85, then they were born in 1990, decades before most of the elves started appearing. I don't think it fits in well with the background you've described either, unless your human sister died of old age.

Likely no Different than Dodger, or several other Canon Elves who expressed before Magic returned.

+Quote Post
Fiddler
post Aug 17 2013, 08:01 PM
Post #11

Target

If you are going for just a technomancer that pretends to be a decker I would drop the deck to either a comlink or the erika mcd1 since you aren't using it. Your average non decker couldn't tell the difference .

+Quote Post
Slide
post Aug 17 2013, 09:43 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 17 2013, 02:03 PM) *
Likely no Different than Dodger, or several other Canon Elves who expressed before Magic returned.

Speaking of Dodger, wasn't he black? In SRR he was white (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 17 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Slide @ Aug 17 2013, 03:43 PM) *
Speaking of Dodger, wasn't he black? In SRR he was white (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

Uhhhh, I always read him as Caucasian, personally, but I could be mistaken. Been a while since I actually read any of the novels that included him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Slide
post Aug 18 2013, 01:04 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 17 2013, 06:11 PM) *
Uhhhh, I always read him as Caucasian, personally, but I could be mistaken. Been a while since I actually read any of the novels that included him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

The only one I read was find your own power. I swear the reference him as being a black elf.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.