IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It's just like 'Nam!, Thinking about historical recreation hike, but limited resources
Wounded Ronin
post Aug 22 2013, 09:56 PM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,383

So, I'm currently on Pohnpei in the Federated States of Micronesia, where there's still really dense jungle.

I figure the world is changing for the worse and among other things in the future there will be less jungle.

From a historical perspective, I am considering maybe going out into the jungle for a few days in order to experience exhaustion, getting rained on, getting soggy, being bitten by mosquitoes and ants, and all these kinds of things, which I had read about so much in Vietnam War memoirs. The odds of encountering unexploded WWII ordinance on this particular island are minimal so I probably won't have as much realism in the fear-of-stepping-on-a-mine department.

The problem is that unlike a historical re-enactor in the US I basically don't have access to a lot of the historical gear. The best I can do is simulate like products from limited availability locally.

The good news is that there's Japanese navy biscuits which I believe to be similar to the flavorless historical ration biscuits. There's also canned spaghetti and meatballs, and cans of pork and beans (although no franks and beans), and cans of lima beans, so maybe I can start to re-create the C Ration experience for at least a few days with these elements.

I do have four surplus one liter canteens with covers and iodine, so I should be able to lug around a gallon of water and purify river water, which legitimately does contain micro organisms.

If I wear cotton clothing and bring these food items, in terms of simulating weight and comfort level, how many pounds of equipment should I shoot for, for a representative level of physical strenuousness? Are there any items that I specifically should carry for historical reasons if I can or anything specifically I should avoid carrying for historical reasons?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Aug 23 2013, 12:19 AM
Post #2

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

Micro-organisms may use various vectors. You may want to check out what is prevalent in the area before testing your immunity.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Aug 23 2013, 12:21 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

FYI, I think you are bugfuck nuts for actually wanting the experience of wandering around in the jungle; it's called "the green hell" for a reason.

That said, buon fortuna, and try not to get dead.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Aug 23 2013, 12:26 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Aug 22 2013, 07:19 PM) *
Micro-organisms may use various vectors. You may want to check out what is prevalent in the area before testing your immunity.

Thanks for the tip. Leptospirosis for one. Some bodies of water have hep A and amoebas. I was actually planning on going to the highlands where there is less of that stuff. I'll have to double check. I've actually done a bunch of research on tropical "fever of unknown origin" so I feel like I have a decent general understanding, but couldn't hurt to double check.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Aug 23 2013, 12:35 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

It's not always about 'Nam, Walter!

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 23 2013, 01:07 AM
Post #6

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

I strongly recommend prioritizing not dying over historical realism when choosing your gear.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Aug 23 2013, 04:50 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 22 2013, 09:07 PM) *
I strongly recommend prioritizing not dying over historical realism when choosing your gear.

I'm really moved by your concern and am glad to hear from you after all this time!

I dunno, wasn't the Vietnam era stuff generally good enough for not dying of exposure or disease? I've read up on the disease related casualty rates in 'Nam and they were quite low compared to the violence related fatality rates.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 23 2013, 04:55 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

I'd suggest refraining from shouting out, "Let's do this whole f***ing village!" or some such. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) Other than that, good luck with trying out the jungle!

I'll stick to mountains and forests myself.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Aug 23 2013, 10:21 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 22 2013, 11:55 PM) *
I'd suggest refraining from shouting out, "Let's do this whole f***ing village!" or some such. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) Other than that, good luck with trying out the jungle!

I'll stick to mountains and forests myself.

Hah, yeah, that would be *really* bad, seeing as there are literal villages out there.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 25 2013, 06:55 PM
Post #10

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Aug 23 2013, 12:50 AM) *
I'm really moved by your concern and am glad to hear from you after all this time!

I dunno, wasn't the Vietnam era stuff generally good enough for not dying of exposure or disease? I've read up on the disease related casualty rates in 'Nam and they were quite low compared to the violence related fatality rates.

Its certainly better than what they had before, much better, but still not as good as modern stuff. And if you can't find historically accurate equipment its better to get something inaccurate than nothing at all.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 25 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Wish International Shipping was easier. My FLGS/Army Surplus store gets some Vietnam stuff occasionally.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Aug 25 2013, 08:41 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Your FLGS is also an Army surplus store? OK, now I'm jealous.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 25 2013, 10:06 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 25 2013, 03:41 PM) *
Your FLGS is also an Army surplus store? OK, now I'm jealous.
Yes, it is completely awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Aug 25 2013, 10:43 PM
Post #14

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

CanRay, we've got to have pics of that place!

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 26 2013, 03:35 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Front of store.

Games.

Army Surplus.

The Website.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Aug 26 2013, 04:03 AM
Post #16

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

That's awesome. Also makes me think of the kind of place a Fixer might work out of.

I mean, when you're running an FLGS/Army Surplus Store, you have the perfect excuse for all kinds of shit and weird people coming in and out of your store.

Also, damn. I've always wanted one of those floppy camo hats.

+Quote Post
GloriousRuse
post Sep 4 2013, 11:52 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 53,471

For that extra 'nam flavor, be sure to lie dead still not making any noise while you stare at a trail all night long. If anyone comes up it, pantomime trying to wake up the claymore guy.

Then do your hike the next day like you got all the sleep you needed.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 5 2013, 12:06 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Pity we can't get Adrian Cronauer as a DJ any longer...

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Sep 5 2013, 12:32 AM
Post #19

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

Well, if we could link to the Ghostbusters Winnipeg thread, maybe we could!

EDIT: Oh, shit. He's not dead yet. Sorry.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 09:34 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.