Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gas mask, Helmet and Respirator
FuelDrop
post Sep 4 2013, 10:49 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

Hey, I've been thinking about a house rule and wanted your opinions on it before proposing it to my group:

Gas masks cover the whole face and cannot be used with a helmet. However, helmets come designed for most standard respirators to clip onto them and thus can be used together.

Really simple. Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Sep 4 2013, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Two things:

First, why? What are you trying to accomplish with this rule? Is your campaign suffering from rampant, gamebreaking munchkinism wherein the PCs wear gas masks and helmets at the same time?

Second, it's grossly unrealistic. Gas masks can absolutely be worn with headgear. Military gas masks are specifically designed not to impede a helmet.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Sep 4 2013, 11:04 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 5 2013, 06:54 AM) *
Two things:

First, why? What are you trying to accomplish with this rule? Is your campaign suffering from rampant, gamebreaking munchkinism wherein the PCs wear gas masks and helmets at the same time?

Second, it's grossly unrealistic. Gas masks can absolutely be worn with headgear. Military gas masks are specifically designed not to impede a helmet.

I'm trying to implement a reason for respirators. At present no-one uses them as when on a run gas masks are flat out better and when not on a run you're unlikely to get gassed.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Sep 4 2013, 11:07 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Also what do you mean by helmet? modern combat helmet? Special ops one? Baseball helmet? Motorcycle? Most types of civilian type helmets I would say can't easily fix a gas mask, but anything intended for combat/security/military would absolutely incorporate the ability, if not replace it entirely ala full security/military grade armor helmet.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Sep 4 2013, 11:11 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 4 2013, 04:04 PM) *
I'm trying to implement a reason for respirators. At present no-one uses them as when on a run gas masks are flat out better and when not on a run you're unlikely to get gassed.
Dress up how many other people simply use respirators, and no one uses gas masks, when air pollution levels go up. When the team is wearing gas masks just as openly, have the others that meet them give strange looks and/or remarks.

If the players are keen on being discreet and low-key, they'll learn.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Sep 4 2013, 11:23 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Voran @ Sep 5 2013, 07:07 AM) *
Also what do you mean by helmet? modern combat helmet? Special ops one? Baseball helmet? Motorcycle? Most types of civilian type helmets I would say can't easily fix a gas mask, but anything intended for combat/security/military would absolutely incorporate the ability, if not replace it entirely ala full security/military grade armor helmet.

The 'Helmet' listed in equipment doesn't differentiate, but I assume it's a civilian make considering how easy it is to acquire. The only 'Military' helmets are part of suits that can be upgraded with chemical seals, negating the need for either gas mask OR respirator.

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Sep 4 2013, 11:58 PM
Post #7

Skillwire Savant

Member No.: 88,139

That's funny. Considering there is all of one gas that is Inhalation Only, we've all been arguing that Gas Masks are relatively useless when your resistance test is usually going to be made at whatever level your armor's chemical resistance mod is rated (Max 6, so an R6 Respirator for 100 Nuyen more is equally effective and not limited to tank quantity). Amusingly, the chemical resistance quality (the armor mod appears to be the only item associated with it) is listed in the toxins section as providing resistance to both inhalation and contact vector toxins (even though the armor mod description itself only lists contact).

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Sep 5 2013, 12:06 AM
Post #8

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 4 2013, 06:58 PM) *
Amusingly, the chemical resistance quality (the armor mod appears to be the only item associated with it) is listed in the toxins section as providing resistance to both inhalation and contact vector toxins (even though the armor mod description itself only lists contact).

That's because all chemical resistant armors also come with an Ascot tie that is not only snazzy looking but can be held over the mouth and nose to act as a temporary protection vs Inhalation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 5 2013, 12:36 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 4 2013, 04:04 PM) *

Except that many city environments are so polluted in the 2070's that something is required if you want to actually breathe something other than rampant pollution. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 5 2013, 12:38 AM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Sep 4 2013, 05:06 PM) *
That's because all chemical resistant armors also come with an Ascot tie that is not only snazzy looking but can be held over the mouth and nose to act as a temporary protection vs Inhalation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Fashion Statement and Chemical Protection all in one package. Double Duty is the Best Duty. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
DamHawke
post Sep 5 2013, 03:53 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 57,096

Have people look at them funny, all the time. Especially when they attempt to eat/drink through their masks.

+Quote Post
Dolanar
post Sep 5 2013, 04:41 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,066

actually, based on the fact that there are still steampunk outfits & such & that masks & rebreathers are a common part of many steampunk outfits, it may not be as weird or jarring as people may think.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Sep 5 2013, 05:05 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Dress accordingly. If you're wearing a gas mask with the latest NAN fashion, you will draw the looks.

Now if said gas mask is accordingly styled, along with the rest of your steampunk ensemble, then you'll probably be fine. But if you're in an area where steampunk isn't exactly that common, you'll probably still get the looks anyway.

+Quote Post
Dolanar
post Sep 5 2013, 05:35 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,066

yeah but the same could be said about wearing a Tux to a Punk Concert

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Sep 5 2013, 05:53 AM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I think you might be making a problem over a minor issue. So one piece of gear is blatantly superior to another. How many street samurai use laser sights instead of smartlinks?

They are used a bit differently, though. A gas mask is something you wear when breaking and entering a corporate compound. A respirator is something you wear to deal with the ubiquitous pollution of the sprawl. They are similar in function, but not in what they are used for. A gas mask will attract a lot more (negative) attention in most places, and is a lot less portable when you are casually dressed and out on the town.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Sep 5 2013, 06:52 AM
Post #16

Runner

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 4 2013, 08:38 PM) *
Fashion Statement and Chemical Protection all in one package. Double Duty is the Best Duty. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You know, this whole camoflage thing for me doesn't work very well."

"Why is that?"

"Well, because you go into the jungle, I can't SEE you! You know, its like wearing stripes and plaid! For me, I want to do something different. You know, if you go in the jungle, make a statement! If you're going to fight, CLASH!"

------------

points for those can remember this quote (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Sep 5 2013, 08:55 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

QUOTE (Glyph @ Sep 5 2013, 08:53 AM) *
I think you might be making a problem over a minor issue. So one piece of gear is blatantly superior to another. How many street samurai use laser sights instead of smartlinks?

They are used a bit differently, though. A gas mask is something you wear when breaking and entering a corporate compound. A respirator is something you wear to deal with the ubiquitous pollution of the sprawl. They are similar in function, but not in what they are used for. A gas mask will attract a lot more (negative) attention in most places, and is a lot less portable when you are casually dressed and out on the town.

..for B&E Chameleon suit, FFBA (w/hood), Ballistic mask + Death mask ( works as gas mask) and if needed various PPP armor..

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Sep 5 2013, 08:56 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Given the replies here I think I might be blowing this a bit out of proportion.

This is why I run house rules past Dumpshock before letting them near my players: Dumpshock points out the holes in my reasoning and stops me looking like a complete moron. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Sep 5 2013, 11:05 AM
Post #19

Runner

Now Capacity of a helmet, usually refers to built in features that do not overly compromise the overall design and form of the object.

But what about external add-ons?

Namely the classic Beer Helmet.

Welding on two can/cup holders with flexible straws for siphoning the liquid goodness within.

Yeah Concealibility goes to heck, but the thirst quenching goodness is worth the price.

Projected Sales for the CAS market alone expected to be very good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Wireless Bonus: Hat reports on liquid content levels, alerting user when running low on either side.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 5 2013, 02:13 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Glyph @ Sep 4 2013, 10:53 PM) *

*Raises Hand*... My Ganger uses a Laser Sight. Of course, he cannot afford the Smartlinked equipment or other hardware, and a Laser Sight is cheap. However, if I am going to use a Laser Sight, I often would rather use the Red-Dot Sight. No Laser to give you away, and the same bonus. Lets hear it for Retro. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh wait... You said Street Sam... My Unaugmented Street Sam uses a Red-Dot Sight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
forgarn
post Sep 5 2013, 03:02 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,988

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Sep 5 2013, 01:52 AM) *
You know, this whole camoflage thing for me doesn't work very well."

"Why is that?"

"Well, because you go into the jungle, I can't SEE you! You know, its like wearing stripes and plaid! For me, I want to do something different. You know, if you go in the jungle, make a statement! If you're going to fight, CLASH!"

------------

points for those can remember this quote (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oh, I remember it!! Great movie, and the actors imitation of the fashion designer is hilarious!

"First of all, don't make fun of the weather here, and don't say the weather is the same all the time here. Because it's not. In fact, it's two degrees colder today than yesterday."

"Two degrees colder, me without my muff. "

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 5 2013, 05:24 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (forgarn @ Sep 5 2013, 08:02 AM) *
Oh, I remember it!! Great movie, and the actors imitation of the fashion designer is hilarious!

"First of all, don't make fun of the weather here, and don't say the weather is the same all the time here. Because it's not. In fact, it's two degrees colder today than yesterday."

"Two degrees colder, me without my muff. "

Sorry... I still have no clue... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
forgarn
post Sep 5 2013, 06:31 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,988

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 5 2013, 12:24 PM) *
Sorry... I still have no clue... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

Robin Williams...

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Sep 5 2013, 06:45 PM
Post #24

Runner

Movie was 'Good Morning Vietnam' a most excellent military comedy.

It was loosely based on an actual Armed Forces Radio DJ, though I imagine he didn't pull half of these stunts off (he WOULD have been shot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) )

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 5 2013, 07:46 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner Ascendant

Thanks, Forgarn and Sendaz... Pretty sad... I just watched that again a few weeks ago, and even knowing where the quote originated, I still do not remember it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:36 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.