IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unconsciousness, Accidental or Deliberate omission?
mister__joshua
post Sep 16 2013, 12:25 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241

Something I'm really bad for in new editions of games is 'assuming'. It happens a lot in tabletop games with regular edition changes like the kind Games Workshop serve up; you assume something is one way because it always has been, only to find that it's not. I also wonder sometimes if this problem befalls developers who read and playtest things so often you can easily forget to add into the rules something that you've been doing all along.

Well, in an effort to avoid this I'm reading Shadowrun 5th cover-to-cover, and trying not to skip ahead. I still haven't got to the matrix or magic changes. I'm in Combat.

While reading this section I noticed that it doesn't mention unconsciousness when a damage track is full. I checked SR4a and the sections are almost identical but for this missing paragraph. My questions is, is this deliberate? Can people now act normally all the way up to body-1 overflow? I'm not sure it's a change I like. I think it will devalue stun damage quite a lot. This is only a theory. Maybe playtesting showed that the wound penalties were enough without the need for unconsciousness to screw the players. I'm not sure it's a change I like, and not convinced it's deliberate.

Josh (conscious on 30 stun damage)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chinane
post Sep 16 2013, 12:39 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 49,431

QUOTE (p100)
Every character has a Condition Monitor that tells the player how much Physical and Stun damage they can take before falling unconscious.

QUOTE (p137)
If your Stun Condition Monitor overflows and you fall unconscious,

QUOTE (p289)
If all of the boxes on the track are filled, the character still falls unconscious.

QUOTE (p459)
While the pump is active, you ignore injury modifiers and don’t fall unconscious, even if your Stun Condition Monitor is filled.

So yeah, it's not said outright that you fall unconscious when either monitor is filled, but it can be pieced together.

You're not the first to observe the omission, though - it's really just another example of sloppy execution when assembling the SR5 rules.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.