IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Faking a Technomancer PAN..., Can it be done?
Oregwath
post Sep 17 2013, 05:34 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,187

So, I was thinking of background stories for my technomancer and an idea came to me. In the story our team had run up against a group with a decker that I couldn't handle on my own, so I used the trace icon matrix action and led the team to him in meat space. After he was "handled" I grabbed his deck and spent the time to change ownership. I was thinking of loading it with defensive programs and a mid to high level agent with the order to stay on permanent full matrix defense and slave all the teams gear to it.

My question is will this work? Could I do this without actually using the deck to enter the matrix, since it is the agent running the deck?

Also, if I use the change icon action to make the agent look as close to my meat body as possible and then ran in silent mode do you think that would fool most people into assuming I was using the deck?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Sep 17 2013, 09:03 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

I can't tell you the actual answer to your question, but I'm going to get the inevitable out of the way:

NO! You're a technomancer, it's your lot in 5th edition to suck. Anything you try to get around this fact will fail, even if a normal person trying the same thing would succeed.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Sep 17 2013, 09:20 AM
Post #3

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

The really short answer is: no, agents can't run Full Matrix Defense, because they're not the owner of the device.

The corollary is that the decker can't run Full Matrix Defense to protect slaved gear, either, since Full Matrix Defense requires ownership.

The technomancer can, however, thread Infusion of Firewall onto the deck and turn a middling 4 into an 8, then run Encryption to boost it to a 9. Pump up the deck's Attack to its highest value (since Firewall is lower for ease of Infusion), with a high-level agent running some extra attack software (commanded to find and attack any enemy gear or personas that get too close) and maybe set a Fault Sprite on standby in case anything attacks the deck or the agent. Then the technomancer can creep around the Matrix while everyone's focused on the attack dog he's set loose.

+Quote Post
Oregwath
post Sep 17 2013, 03:09 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 17,187

Thank you Epicedion. That really helps out our group. I am the only matrix savvy member, the others being a shaman, and adept, a face and a sniper. I need to find all the little tricks I can.

And to FuelDrop... I know. I made the char and got it approved before the storyteller actually read the technomancer rules, and since he has read them now he says that I will be the only technomancer in the game. Once this char dies he isn't allowing any more tm's until they get a bit of lovin' in a splat book somewhere.

(Yes, he said once, not if...)

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Sep 17 2013, 07:09 PM
Post #5

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

QUOTE (Oregwath @ Sep 17 2013, 10:09 AM) *
Thank you Epicedion. That really helps out our group. I am the only matrix savvy member, the others being a shaman, and adept, a face and a sniper. I need to find all the little tricks I can.

And to FuelDrop... I know. I made the char and got it approved before the storyteller actually read the technomancer rules, and since he has read them now he says that I will be the only technomancer in the game. Once this char dies he isn't allowing any more tm's until they get a bit of lovin' in a splat book somewhere.

(Yes, he said once, not if...)

Note that the technomancer can actually thread Infusion on himself as well, which I don't think most people realize, so take advantage of that. In the Target description on p252 there's an explicit rule that Target = Device can also target personas.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:37 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.