IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR5 Control Thoughts vs. Control Actions?, Does Actions do anything useful?
Knight Saber
post Dec 16 2013, 08:26 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,720

What's the difference between Control Thoughts and Control Actions in SR5? The drain codes are the same. Control Actions makes the mage use his own skills when controlling a target, meaning he won't be able to make that heavy machine gunner turn on his friends effectively (Unless he has some grenades, or a railing to hurl himself over).

Control Thoughts uses the target's own skills and requires a "standard action," whatever that is… if it's a Simple one, then there's no reason at all to use Control Actions… and if it's a Complex Action to use, then there's STILL no reason to use Control Actions.

What am I missing here?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Dec 16 2013, 02:27 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Well, the only thing I see is this:

A victim of mental manipulation spell may roll to
notice the magical effect according to the usual rules
for Perceiving Magic (p. 280). Some of the less subtle
mental spells (Control Actions) are pretty obvious, but
more subtle spells (like Control Thoughts) can be pretty
insidious.

So, using Control Actions means the guy is pretty much automatically aware he's being manipulated, but not necessarely so for Control Thoughts. So, really, that just lends to your argument there is no situation you'd want Control Actions. My thought would be the drain code on Control Actions is wrong and should be lower. If it's not - no use in this spell.

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Dec 17 2013, 12:25 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,343

The two time I could see Control Actions used rather than Control Thoughts:
1. You need the target to do something for which she doesn't have the skill, but the spell caster does.
2. You want the target to know they are being manipulated.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:37 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.