Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cross bows are screwy
xizor
post May 3 2004, 05:07 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,501

Ok I have noticed that there is a big difference between a long bow and a crossbow in shadow run

The difference is:
Crossbows have a set strength minimum and damage. There does not seem to be any way to change it.

They can never ever have a higher strength minimum or better damage code. Except by using special bolts.

Why is that?
By the ranges there should be some way to get a better crossbow. However by the five pound cannon there is not.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post May 3 2004, 05:32 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,177

I would imagine the same techniques used in the construction of the Ranger-X bow could also be applied to a crossbow. I can't think of many applications for it that another device wouldn't be better suited for, but if all you are looking for is some logical way to improve crossbows in your game that might be something to look into.

+Quote Post
I Eat Time
post May 3 2004, 09:56 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,291

I'm not 100% clear on how crossbows work differently in real life than normal bows, and I imagine FASA folks didn't either, so that's why they came up with this rule. It makes sense to me, with mediocre knowledge.

So a bow fires with as much power as you put into it, and you have to HOLD the bolt while you're aiming at whatever power you want, or close to it. Farther you pull it back, harder it's gonna hit.

Crossbows are pulled back to notches, aimed, and fired like a gun. The notches or whatever controls the power, not how hard you pulled it. So it's like a delay-action bow, the benefit being you don't have to have a strength minimum to fire it, the downside being that the power's not nearly so 'customizable'.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post May 3 2004, 10:23 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

A bow has an absolute power limit just like a crossbow has. If you pull it back further you'll just strain yourself without putting any more power to it, or break the bow. You can't achieve that anyway unless you have arms much longer than an average human.

When there are Str Min 20 Longbows, there should also be ballistae. Or, actually, there shouldn't be any Str Min 20 Longbows, but there should still be ballistae.

+Quote Post
otomik
post May 3 2004, 01:34 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 752

*in south park martin jefferson voice* "thats ignorant, they're ignorant."

yes indeed FASA is ignorant on this.
the stopping power caused by bows and crossbows isn't comparable to that caused by bullets, a good hit with a arrow won't drop a deer the same way a bullet does. in many cases a deer will just stand there for a second trying to figure out what happened while a arrow is sticking in them, then start to run off and you just gotta follow the blood trail and hope you got a good enough hit so that they pass out from blood loss soon. (ohio law doesn't allow you to carry a pistol to finish them off quickly, but it's a popular way to go)

crossbows are more powerful than bows generally but really you just gotta check things out for yourself, i think the most powerful are composite crossbows some with draw weights of 300 pounds.

but in the end crossbows don't really do anything bows can't do, they're just easier to fire accurately and more powerful in a smaller package (this fact is balanced by the quicker firing of bows). remember that many crossbows have pulleys to crank back the drawstring so you're not as limited by your own muscle strength. there's no reason not to go high-tech though because arrows are like bullets against magical foes.

+Quote Post
Diesel
post May 3 2004, 02:41 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

How would arrows effect a magical (I'm guessing you mean spirit / materialized whatever) target more effectively than bullets? They're both more seperated in terms of personal beatdown by the launcher. Bow to arrow, crossbow to bolt, pistol and rifle to bullet, shotgun to slug - to target. All that as opposed to fist - to face. If there's some rule, that'd be awesome, I'm just curious.

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post May 3 2004, 03:03 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

Um, I think the two of you agree. He just said that there was not any real difference between arrows and bullets, as far as spirits and the like are concerned.

And that's true. The primary reasons one of my characters would carry a bow would be style, followed by stealth of use.

Of course, they're not as concealable as pistols.... which is why I like to go with tasers for quiet, semi-public jobs.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post May 3 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Heh. It depends on what you've stuck on the pistol. An Ares Predator III with a silencer slapped on is as concealable as a Str Min 20 Ranger-X bow... :eek:

+Quote Post
Raptor1033
post May 3 2004, 03:46 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,370

actually that brings up an interesting point. if you get ahold of some wooden arrows without metal heads, just sharpened tips, would that count as elemental wood and a spirits immunity to normal weapons not work against it? of course power would have to be lowered a little, maybe -2 or -3 because of the less effective point. anyone else think of this for a spirit killer?

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post May 3 2004, 04:17 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

I don't see how this counts as elemental wood. It's just wood, which isn't a defined element in the game (leave Earthdawn at the door momentarily).

It's still a normal weapon; it hasn't changed and isn't being driven by the force of a person. OTOH, anchor a spell to the tip and then you've got something, like slay spirit or something of that nature.

Don

+Quote Post
Thistledown
post May 3 2004, 05:37 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,155

Other reasons to use crossbows in some cases. If you're going some place with a high likelyhood of cooking off your ammo, you don't have to worry. One of my characters has massive electricity problems, so he has to use one. Another uses emps and other gear a lot, so he choses to play it safe and go with a nice stable bolt instead of potentially hazardous bullets.

Then of course, there's the cake ammo spell (saw it in some suplement), and all the wonderful secondary effects from elemental manipulations. (Fireball may burn your bolts, depending on material, but it isn't going to make them explode.)

And of course, another big plus for crossbows is that the ammunition is re-useable. Just take it out of the body when you're done, and fire again.

+Quote Post
Fahr
post May 3 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,094

as someone who shoots a Compound bow, I thought I would throw out some defenitions and explaations that might make this a little clearer.

first, a bows power comes from the amount of force imparted to the arrow working through a sharpened surface (broadhead) bow strength is measured in pounds of draw, basically how many pound would you have to hang on the string if you were shooting the ceiling to pull the bo back. for long bows and recurves, these also are accompanied by a draw length, as the length of draw varies by shooter and the force varies as well. as a rule of thumbe I learned in archery class, every 1" or draw adds about 2# to a bow in the 30-50# range

Long Bow == straight stick of rather long length (usually aroun 4-5') linear poundage progression, ie you pull it back 26" it has 40#, 28" is 44# 30" is 48#
these are big and harder to aim than more modern designs, but can be made relatively easy our of the right kinds of wood.

Recurve Bow == bow which curves away from the shooter so the limbs look a little like a flattened S bad ascii art to follow
CODE

|
/
I
\
 |

these bows also have a linear poundage progression like a long bow, but are generally much shorter in height 3-4'.

Compund bow = a very short bow that uses a pully system to get mechanical advantage on the string. these bows have a set draw length, you just can't draw them any furhter. they also have a set poundage, usually moderm bows of this type are in the 60-70# range. the other advantage to this design is "let off" basically full draw weight occurs somewhere in the middle of the movement to draw the bow, rather than at the end when where you hold it, so the full draw is easier to hold than other "straight" bows. this is usually measured as a % let off. my 68# compound has a 30% let off, which means at full draw it only feels like I am holding about 49# allowing me to have more power at less strain.

Crossbows can use any of the above mechanisms, but they are moving to the compound style in most hunting crossbows now. the draw weights are usually above 125# up to 400#. they almost always have either a lever, or crank to load the string with. these take a while to get ready but have more force than you can shake a stick at. IRL here in Texas, if you are not disabled you may not use a crossbow in bow hunting season, they are treated like rifles. you can use them for varmint hunting all you want though.

Modern arrows are usually aluminum, or carbon. they are not re-usable as the impact almost always warps the shaft when used on a real target (you can re-use them in practice because the targets slow the arrows down so as to not destroy them). wooden arrows can and will shatter if shot out of a significantly powerfull enough bow, the compunds in particular accelerate the arrow very fast and can shatter them. arrows must be matched to the bow being fired ro it can damge the bow or make the arrow inaccurate.

there... them's the basics of archery today.

-Mike R

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 3 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

in answer to the question about wood vs spirts, the answer is yes if you consider wu-jen elements to be effective against spirits the same way that the classic elements are. however, if you're allowing wu-jen, then there's no point in removing the metal tip, as metal is one of the five wu-jen elements.

+Quote Post
Raptor1033
post May 4 2004, 01:14 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,370

does it have to be a pure metal or can an alloy count to be elemental?

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post May 4 2004, 03:04 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

well, la-de-frikin' da, I might as well just use bullets, cause they are METAL. hmmm... I do not think wood or metal would count as a "elemental effect." But wood will be good against vampires, so it can be useful. (note: on re-reading of post I noticed I was being insulting, I am sorry and do not mean it :))

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post May 4 2004, 03:20 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

If you accept as an elemental weapon everything listed on the elemental effects (MitS spell design guide), lead is not valid but iron is.
That's everyone's cue to start making iron bullet house rules.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post May 4 2004, 03:29 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

-1 Power, x0.75 Ranges, 2x Price (to represent rarity more than actual cost of manufacturing), +2/48hrs Avail, only as a "modification" of Regular Ammo.

How's that?

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: May 4 2004, 03:30 AM

+Quote Post
Thistledown
post May 4 2004, 03:32 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,155

I know nothing about actually making bullets. Why would an iron bullet have less power, etc, than lead? Isn't lead heavyer and softer?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post May 4 2004, 03:45 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

That's pretty much it. Iron is lighter, and in general making a bullet lighter is counterproductive to doing more damage with it. It certainly reduces ranges -- the bullet is still as large, ie as much friction, but decelerates a lot faster, thus shorter range.

Iron is also less likely to deform/fragment than anything that would count as Regular Ammo, which means an iron bullet would cause less tissue damage. Combined with lower mass and lower energy (right at the muzzle it'd probably have as much energy as normal bullets, but beyond that the energy would go away faster), you get less damage. And it still won't penetrate very well, because iron will flatten/fragment if it hits something very hard, such as body armor.

You could make a fragmenting iron bullet, which should use something like the Flechette rules, except double Ballistic armor. -1 Power might still be called for. Or you could concentrate on the shorter range and forget about the Power, but I figured you'd want some extra penalties for firing iron bullets because of the bonuses you'd be getting (Elemental Iron attack).

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 4 2004, 04:08 AM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Is .75 enough? We are talking about a bullet with 1/4th the weight of a normal lead round. Personally, I'd give it -2 power and 30% reduction in range. I wouldn't allow frangible, either.

Also, hell, while we're at it, any suggestions for silver? I'm thinking -1 power, 20% reduction in range, +3/+1 week availability and x4 price (materials and market rarity).

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post May 4 2004, 11:16 AM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Arethusa)
We are talking about a bullet with 1/4th the weight of a normal lead round.

Nope, we're talking about a bullet with 0.6925x the weight of a pure lead round. The density of iron is 7.86 grams/cm^3 in room temperature, the density of lead is 11.35 grams/cm^3.

If you're doing them at home, making them fragment might be a bit difficult but possible. Do them in a mold that is shaped like a hollowpoint and has tiny "walls" separating small sections on a hit.

Silver weighs 10.5 g/cm^3, not significantly less than lead. The hardness of lead is 1.5, silver is 2.5, iron is 4.0. Not only is silver heavy enough to be effective bullet material, it's malleable enough for many uses. I think neither range nor Power should be reduced with silver rounds. Your Availability and Price estimations are as good as any.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 4 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #22

Runner

Well, that'll teach me to pay attention when I'm staring at a periodic table at 12 in the morning. Accidentally looked at nuclear mass instead of density and somehow didn't realize that a density of 200g/cm^3 might be a bit strange. Guess I'll never live that down.

In any case, looking at the right numbers, I agree. No change for silver and -1 for iron is about right. Personally, though, I'd stick with a 20% reduction in range. Easier to calculate on the fly, and possibly more realistic. Not a big deal, in any case.

One addendum, though: I think x6 or x8 for silver rounds might be better, but I don't know canon's costs for a simple Heavy Pistol round. I'm just thinking that a silver pistol round should weigh in at around 6-10¥ a piece.

[edit: typo]

This post has been edited by Arethusa: May 4 2004, 07:16 PM

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 4 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Canon cost for ammo, 10 rounds: ¥20. Hence, ¥2 per bullet.

~J

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 4 2004, 07:57 PM
Post #24

Runner

Well, that's silly. In that case, x4 or x5 would do just fine.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post May 4 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

It's much better than the canon weight of ammo, though, which is the equivalent of a medium-light 12G shotgun round.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.