IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fixing speed in melee?, Just might work.
Arethusa
post May 3 2004, 09:13 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,775

Ran my ideas by a couple friends of mine and came up with this; I think it really just might work:

The faster combatant recieves a Speed Reach bonus equal to the difference in ititiative between the two combatants / 10, rounded down. This bonus is not available during the first melee combat of the combat turn, and is available at 1 point progressive for each melee combat thereafter. This bonus functions as reach normally, but is not negatable by the Close Combat maneuver.

Basically, one speed crazy attacker with 5 actions this turn gets no bonus when attacking his opponent who has 1 action this round, but if he proceeds to attack for every action after his first, he'll have 1 point of reach for his second melee attack, 2 for his third, 3 for his fourth, and 4 for his fifth. Melee combats do not need to be consecutive for the bonus to carry over (though it resets at the beginning of each new turn, naturally). Personally, I think a person moving at 5 times the speed of a normal human being should ultimately have one hell of an edge, but he should definitely have to work for it.

A couple final notes: this is only applicable on offensive melee actions, which means a fast character doesn't get to build up a defensive bonus when being hit a second or third time. As a possible addendum suggested by a friend of mine, the bonus resets if the attacker desides to switch the reach bonus from applying to his skill roll to his opponents (or vice versa).

Initially, I was a little worried that initiative difference / 10 would be too powerful. 20, on the other hand, basically makes Speed Reach of 2 something that'll practically never happen, and even 15 makes it extremely rare. How often do you have a divide of 30 between two melee combatants? Given the people'll that'll be meeting in melee, seems likely that 10 is actually fairly balanced in practice.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
I Eat Time
post May 3 2004, 09:50 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,291

It's a little like the post I had put up on the other Thread about this, but definitely better. Speed in melee, if it gives you any advantage at all, shouldn't give you much, and shouldn't give you immediate. Plus, you can only get the full advantage of the speed reach bonus if and only if you fight for a few rounds. I for one like it.

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post May 3 2004, 09:53 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

Too complicated. Why not simply rule that defending in a melee fight requires a complex action?

If you are attacked in a melee battle you must use a complex action from your next initiative pass to defend yourself. If you choose not to do so you do not recieve any dice from your applicable skill, but may use combat pool dice to dodge. If you have no actions left this turn you cannot use your melee skill to defend yourself.

This would not only be realistic, it would make a lower melee combat skill a viable option (As things stand anything less than 6 = suicide), as a relatively weak character could use melee combat to distract an enemy long enough for a teammate to shoot him in the head.

+Quote Post
I Eat Time
post May 3 2004, 09:58 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

I dunno, Spider. I'm more comfortable with small, stacked modifiers for the faster character than I am with whole complex actions spent on defending. The former seems less capable of being abused. Not that yours doesn't work as a good houserule, but if I'm deigning to change the combat rules because I think it's too simplified, I'll probably go with the more complicated alternative.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 3 2004, 12:29 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

I still favor the notion of removing counterattacks completely and making the melee test an opposed roll with only the attacker able to deal damage (ie, when defender successes > attacker successes, nothing happens).

It's the simplest fix and makes the faster character more powerful in that he has twice the chances to deal damage as the slower character.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post May 3 2004, 03:31 PM
Post #6

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

A TN mod is never ever a "Small stacked modifier" a TN mod in melee combat has a huge, huge effect, even a + or -1.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post May 3 2004, 03:54 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

If you want counterattacking to use up actions, make it a simple action to reflect how defense usually requires less action. That way, a person can defend twice as often as they could attack and must be careful about how their actions are used up. I still see no reason for it, but it's better than the hideous TN mods and other equally excessive adjustments that have been suggested.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 3 2004, 04:52 PM
Post #8

Runner

The problem with requiring the expenditure of a complex or simple action to defend is that you create a dynamic where the defender can defend himself just fine for an attack or two and then suddenly stops and stands still as attacks come in. Yes, it's stimple. It's also silly as hell.

Are Speed Reach modifiers significant? Yeah. But they don't come easy, and when do people with more than difference of 29 really ever get into melee combat?

+Quote Post
Entropy Kid
post May 3 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,196

Keep in mind that the Complex Action used to attack allows as many as the attacker wants, but at increasing TN#.

How about this: Defenders get a +1TN after every turn they counterattack if they are out of actions.

If a Street Samurai gets four turns, and a normal gets two...
Sam goes first, attacks. Norm defends, counterattacks without penalty.
Norm goes second, attacks. Sam defends, counterattacks without penalty.
-10 and...
Sam goes first, attacks. Norm defends, counterattacks without penalty.
Norm goes second, attacks. Sam defends, counterattacks without penalty.
Sam goes, attacks. Norm defends, counterattacks without penalty; now gaining a +1TN to his next defense.
Sam goes, attacks. Norm defends, counterattacks at a +1TN

If Norm had only gone once, his last defense would have been at +2TN, but only if he had previously counterattacked.

Another idea is to not allow Combat Pool to refresh if out of turns and still engaged in melee combat. Of course, anyone with a gun standing five meters outside of the fight will love this.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 3 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

There's a difference between a counterattack (where your goal is to hurt the opponent) and defending yourself (where you simply counter successes).

I've been using this house rule for quite a while and it's worked without a hitch. Unaugmented characters don't gain any advantages from augmented opponents, nor are they left helpless as their skill is still the dominating force behind the encounter.

The house rule is pretty simple: If you have a Simple Action available that phase, you can sacrifice it to counterattack (which is particularly useful especially for adepts with the Counterstrike power). Otherwise, you're simply defending yourself. One of the perks of a counterattack for mundane characters is that it is only a Simple Action, allowing them to either counterattack twice (if facing multiple opponents) or perform some other Simple Action when their turn comes up.

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post May 3 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

QUOTE (Arethusa)
The problem with requiring the expenditure of a complex or simple action to defend is that you create a dynamic where the defender can defend himself just fine for an attack or two and then suddenly stops and stands still as attacks come in. Yes, it's stimple. It's also silly as hell.

Are Speed Reach modifiers significant? Yeah. But they don't come easy, and when do people with more than difference of 29 really ever get into melee combat?

What do you mean silly? That's exactly how melee combat should occur with one opponent faster. On the first attack you might be able to block, but additional attacks which come faster than you react overwhelm your reflexes and leave you in bad shape to defend anymore. What's more your own idea does the exact same thing, the first attack is blocked just fine, the rest are hard to block. Observe:

An MBW4 Cyberzombie attacks a tanked non-speed Samurai. Both have a Melee combat skill of 6. MBW4 boy has 5 initiative passes, the samurai has 1.

In the first pass the Zombie attacks the Samurai melee style. The Samurai is able to use his normal combat skills to successfully block and even get a hit in back, but in the process he loses his complex action.

Role-playing-wise the Samurai has effectively blocked the Zombie using his own reflexes, however in doing so he's left off balance by the Zombie's faster moves.

Second Pass the CZ attacks again, this time, being off-balance, the Samurai can't attack back but is able to dodge using up his combat pool in the process.

Role-playing-wise the Samurai now simply leaps backwards to avoid combat with the zombie altogether, but he's in bad shape now for further combat despite not haveing taken any wounds.

Third pass the CZ attacks yet again. The Lightning barrage of attacks have exceeded any ability of the Samurai to counter. He's simply going to have to suck it up and pray his augmented body holds out.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 3 2004, 07:52 PM
Post #12

Runner

What I'm saying is that in the system I proposed, it gets significantly difficult to defend against successive and very quickly overwhelming attacks, but it's not impossible. I dislike a system that simply lays down a rule instead of making the dynamic mechanically emergent.

That said, I think I really am growing to like the idea of requiring a simple action to counter attack and otherwise simply not allowing the defender to do damage. I'd like to include speed based bonuses one way or another, but I'm starting wonder if it's really doable.

+Quote Post
Gem the Troll
post May 3 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 5,973

You're forgetting something...the whole counter attack thing...it's basically a way to show the instinctive portion of melee combat. Let's say Player 1 has an unarmed combat 6 and 1 action per round, let's say that player 2 has unarmed combat at 3, but he's a quick, wiry bastard, and gets a round with three actions. Reallistically speaking, somebody who's trained to fight with their hands (or melee weapon) can take advantage of somebody else's mistake to score a hit on their opponent (thus the oppossed dice rolls). Remember the rolled attacks are a representation of significant effort in a fight. There's a lot of feinting, blocking, dodging, dancing around, etc in a fight, that for storyline purposes would be pretty dull. Try watching a movie with the fights done like you roll for shadowrun...it's all the stuff in between that makes it visually appealling and believable.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 3 2004, 08:09 PM
Post #14

Runner

I'm not forgetting about counter attacks. I'm saying that a person who normally gets one attack shouldn't be benefitted by essentially getting three attacks for free when the poor speed samurai makes the mistake of attacking him three times of his own volition, only to have his ass handed to him four times faster than would have been possible if he stood completely still and asked his slow budy to hit him. Speed should give a benefit in melee. I'm just worried that there's no way to factor it in without either not going far enough or going too far and negating skill's presence in the equation.

+Quote Post
I Eat Time
post May 3 2004, 08:09 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (BitBasher)
A TN mod is never ever a "Small stacked modifier" a TN mod in melee combat has a huge, huge effect, even a + or -1.

Granted, my point is, I'd rather take a modifier than have to sacrifice the entirety of a complex action, which is plus or minus a LOT of modifiers.

I'm either for the original post or the "by default defending, simple action to counterattack". They both make sense intuitively.

+Quote Post
Gem the Troll
post May 3 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 5,973

But that's the thing about taking a big swing...you leave yourself open to the counter attack...that's where skill comes into play. If you're more skilled, you should still be able to take down a faster opponent (within reason). If what you're going for is to give another player a shot with a ranged weapon, tell the gm you're going full defense. If you're outclassed, that's real life. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. What kills you, provides food for ghouls.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 3 2004, 08:32 PM
Post #17

Runner

What do you mean by within reason? We're potentially talking about augmented combatants operating at 5 times the speed of a normal human being. I don't even know what you're referring to by talking about taking a big swing.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post May 3 2004, 10:36 PM
Post #18

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I'll just repeat what I said in the other thread, for what ever good it will do me. Melee is fine. Don't change it. YMMV

+Quote Post
I Eat Time
post May 3 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Gem the Troll)
But that's the thing about taking a big swing...you leave yourself open to the counter attack...that's where skill comes into play.

Not only skill, but the initiative to take that chance. If I've got to take a big swing, and I leave myself open, you've still got to take the time out from anything else you might be doing to hit me back. It's like saying, having a guy in your sights automatically is cause for a reflexive pull trigger action for free. Take an action for landing an attack, a Simple action (instead of complex) because it's easier to counterattack than to attack, but an action no less.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post May 4 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #20

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Bull, with skilled martial artists, noone "takes the time" to do anything, there's not even conscious thought involved. They swing, you hurt them for it, pure and complete reflex, no though is involved at all. If you have to think about it, they means you're not very good at it and are unlikely to suceed. That's the point of practicing it in repetition over and over, to make it reflex.

+Quote Post
Entropy Kid
post May 4 2004, 12:47 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,196

If you have to think about it, they means you're not very good at it and are unlikely to suceed. That's the point of practicing it in repetition over and over, to make it reflex.
Comments like that support what Arethusa is saying :P

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 4 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #22

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

There's a difference between a counterattack (where your goal is to hurt the opponent) and defending yourself (where you simply counter successes).

There's not, actually. That's a mistake many beginners make, though, so don't take it the wrong way.

Look, we're all familiar with the basic outside block. If I change my aim on it just slightly, what's the difference between an outside block and a backfist to the chin? About ten-fifteen degrees. The same is true for most blocks. Kicks are the same as steps; so if you move, you may as well have kicked.

You're thinking "I defend, then I attack." Which is great, and is how beginners are taught to see things. Once you get into it further, however, you start seeing them as one-- there's no difference between an attack and a defense.

Really, the goal of a defense is to not get hurt, right? Well, if the other guy's on the floor unconscious, he's not going to be hurting me much. If I can stop or avoid his punch, that's great! But if I can stop or avoid his punch, and incidentally knock him unconscious, that's even better.
Not only skill, but the initiative to take that chance. If I've got to take a big swing, and I leave myself open, you've still got to take the time out from anything else you might be doing to hit me back.

Sort-of and not really. If you're really skilled, you'll have already anticipated that, and be in a position to hurt the guy. Speed is a result of skill, and not the other way around.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 4 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

QUOTE (BitBasher)
They swing, you hurt them for it, pure and complete reflex, no though is involved at all.

And yet you still can't grasp why people who have a problem with it have a problem with it for that very thing.

Some regular Joe Schmoe (his skill level is completely and totally irrelevant) fighting four Joe SuperSchmoes (whose skill levels are likewise irrelevant, but they do possess SUPERHUMAN REFLEXES) is NOT going to have his reflexes increased one iota. Yet the rules, as they stand, result in that very thing. Joe Schmoe just gained superhuman reflexes SIMPLY because he was fighting four people who augmented reflexes up to four, five, or even six times in excess of what an unaugmented human could possibly achieve or conceive (3+1D6 or average of 6 vs. 15+4D6 or average of 29).

Even Wired Reflexes 1 is beyond comprehension. Imagine the fastest, more reflexive person you've ever seen in your life. Now drill it into your head that he's an unaugmented human. No magic. No cyberware. His Initiative is a mere 1D6 and his Reaction is, at absolute most, 10, but more likely closer to 6. A whole 6+1D6. And Wired Reflexes adds 2+1D6 on top of that. :eek:

So yeah, it is retarded that the rules allow Joe Schmoe to simulate the incredible REFLEXES of someone with, no shock here, superhumanly augmented REFLEXES.

If such things didn't exist and we were just talking about a bunch of regular humans with no augmentation in existance, I wouldn't have as much trouble with the rules or your rationalization thereof. But as it stands, all the stuff you keep going on about has no bearing on the reality of the gameworld.

QUOTE (Cain)
There's not, actually. That's a mistake many beginners make, though, so don't take it the wrong way.

And you're wondering why I'm not responding to you any longer, oh great Kung Fu master who knows all. <bows>

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post May 4 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

I agree BitBasher - which is why I like Arethusa's suggestion of 'speed reach'.

While the counters are reflex and so doesn't take 'time' as far as actually planning out an action go, there should be difference between someone who is a normal metahuman and someone who replaced his spinal cord with superconductors (or worse - has a Move-by-Wire) simply because their reflexes are just a little bit faster.

The 'speed reach' is a good indicator of that, I think. I'm gonna run this by my gaming group - see what they think.

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 4 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #25

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Almost forgot....

While I personally see the rules as being decently balanced as is, one of the interpretations I add is that you can only change your combat option/maneuvers on your action. Thus, faster people have more flexibility to respond to the other guy.

As an example: Slowpoke Segal is fighting Jean-Claude Van Damme-Hes-Fast. Slowpoke is on his last initiative pass, and decides to instigate Evasion, in order to try and outlast his opponent. Jean realizes this, and on his next pass-- and subesquent remaining actions-- switches over to Full Offense. The increased TN to be hit is meaningless, since Segal can't actually cause him any damage.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.