Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Matrix + various questions
Aramus
post Jan 24 2014, 03:37 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,677

I mostly played Shadowrun 3 and I want to start a game with this system BUT, the Matrix part seem sooooo much trouble to learn and play. I've read that 4th, even 5th, kind of got it better.

Question : Could it be hard to downgrade stuff like the Matrix to the 3th edition ?

Another question, not linked to the matrix : What do you think about the rule, in 4th, that put a maximum dice pool depending on the weapon used ?

Another question, same thing : Are 3th pre-generated adventure/campaign, like Wake of the Comet or Survival of the Fittest (and Brainscan, Renraku, etc.) worth it ?

Another question (this one final hehe) : I heard many good things about Season 3 and 4 of Shadowrun Missions. Could they be difficult to downgrade to 3rd ?

Thanks a lot !

EDIT : Sigh, I've joined Dumpshock in 2002 ... I'm so sad that I didn't get to talk or take time here in the community. I'm sadder that I couldn't play much Shadowrun these last years too ...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
apple
post Jan 24 2014, 03:47 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,827

QUOTE (Aramus @ Jan 24 2014, 11:37 AM) *
Question : Could it be hard to downgrade stuff like the Matrix to the 3th edition ?

Sending all other player to get a pizza is not that hard

Another question, not linked to the matrix : What do you think about the rule, in 4th, that put a maximum dice pool depending on the weapon used ?

That is SR5 and that is not a very good rule.

[b]Another question, same thing : Are 3th pre-generated adventure/campaign, like Wake of the Comet or Survival of the Fittest (and Brainscan, Renraku, etc.) worth it ?[/b]

Brainscan, They shoot the wild horses, Year of the comet are usually considered not really to be the highlight of SR.

Renraku is very good, Survival is ok

Another question (this one final hehe) : I heard many good thing about Season 3 and 4 of Shadowrun Missions. Could they be difficult to downgrade to 3rd ?

No, but you will need to handwaive/improvise some things.

SYL

+Quote Post
tete
post Jan 24 2014, 05:28 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

QUOTE (Aramus @ Jan 24 2014, 04:37 PM) *

There is a quick version in Mr Johnson's Black book but I prefer to just use a single Node/Host (whatever they call it in 3e) and just up the difficulty of the system a bit. Its been years since I ran 3e/VR2.0 though so you'll have to play around with it.

QUOTE (Aramus @ Jan 24 2014, 04:37 PM) *
Another question, same thing : Are 3th pre-generated adventure/campaign, like Wake of the Comet or Survival of the Fittest (and Brainscan, Renraku, etc.) worth it ?

Depends, I personally hate the way Shadowrun adventures are written (ie the style) except for Ghost Cartels which I still dont like but it was an improvement. However even the badly written old adventures have some pretty decent ideas buried in way to much text. Mercurial (1e) for example is terribly written but the basic idea is fantastic. Then there are are the classic great ones like Harliquin and Missing Blood (part of Universal Brotherhood) that are at least decently written and in some cases actually good.

+Quote Post
Aramus
post Jan 25 2014, 02:53 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 3,677

@Tete : Do you imply that the adventures are too much linear, binding players all into the bandwagon ? For the matrix, I gonna look at the info in Mr JBB and see what I can do to have a fast hacking and maybe a slower one via PBP (that way, we play live, but I reserve all the harder hacking outside of the live playing).

+Quote Post
tete
post Jan 26 2014, 07:37 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

QUOTE (Aramus @ Jan 25 2014, 03:53 PM) *
@Tete : Do you imply that the adventures are too much linear, binding players all into the bandwagon ? For the matrix, I gonna look at the info in Mr JBB and see what I can do to have a fast hacking and maybe a slower one via PBP (that way, we play live, but I reserve all the harder hacking outside of the live playing).

Its not just a problem a problem of linear, its a problem of 1 dimensional goals and motivations, but most importantly brilliant back stories in some cases that NEVER COME OUT in the adventure.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:09 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.