IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Impression Quality & Social Tests?, 5th ed.
yesferatu
post Feb 18 2014, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,916

Hey guys,

Does the First Impression positive quality work for intimidation?
The description specifically mentions Negotiation and Con, but I don't see why that wouldn't work on Leadership or Intimidation too.
Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lobo0705
post Feb 18 2014, 05:07 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Member No.: 140,076

For me as a GM, I'm not sure that I would let it apply to Leadership or Intimidation.

The idea of First Impression is that you make a good one. I.e. people like you, or are willing to work with you, but it is about a positive personality trait.

That isn't the same as being willing to follow you, or feel threatened by you.

I mean, there might be a specific case where I could be convinced - but in general, I would say no. YMMV.

+Quote Post
DrZaius
post Feb 18 2014, 06:01 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,360

QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Feb 18 2014, 12:07 PM) *
For me as a GM, I'm not sure that I would let it apply to Leadership or Intimidation.
The idea of First Impression is that you make a good one. I.e. people like you, or are willing to work with you, but it is about a positive personality trait.
That isn't the same as being willing to follow you, or feel threatened by you.
I mean, there might be a specific case where I could be convinced - but in general, I would say no. YMMV.

I'm inclined to agree. I wouldn't be opposed to a house-rule to split it up, though.

"Positive First Impression" X Karma
"Intimidating First Impression" Y Karma
"Force of Personality First Impression" X + Y Karma

As it stands, "First Impression" is a really, really good quality for Face characters; almost mandatory. I'd prefer the system was such that there weren't some qualities that were *so* good you end up almost having to take them (Focused Concentration also comes to mind). 3rd Edition D&D had the same problem with the "Power Attack / Cleave" feats.

-DrZ

+Quote Post
yesferatu
post Feb 18 2014, 07:36 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,916

I've always thought of First Impression as a strength or personality thing.
You can be convincing/striking/imposing without being particularly likeable.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Feb 19 2014, 05:18 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

If the description of the quality is about the same as 4th Edition (which it might be - a lot of things seem to have just been copypasted from 4th), then it gives a bonus to all social skill tests during a first meeting, where the character is trying to fit in. So intimidation or leadership might not apply as often as etiquette, but I could see intimidation being used to let a gang, or fellow prisoners at a detention facility, know that the "new guy" is not someone you want to mess with. Similarly, I could see leadership being used for a face trying to be the unofficial spokesperson at the meet with the Johnson, or a street samurai taking command of a crew of mercs for a full-on assault on a bug hive.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.