Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How obvious are cybereyes?
FuelDrop
post Feb 26 2014, 11:13 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

During the Cat's Eye thread it was pointed out that cybereyes may attract stigma where the bioware wouldn't. It got me thinking:
Can you tell at a glance that an average pair of cybereyes are artificial?

Obviously there will be people with all-black cybereyes or other fancy 'cool' designs which are obvious, but are a normal pair going to attract any attention?
Cat's Eyes are specifically stated to have vertical pupils and thus are fairly clearly not your natural eyes, but is a non-cybereye lowlight vision implant just as obvious, Riddick style?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Feb 26 2014, 11:18 PM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

THIS is usually a good sign it is a (heavily armored) cybereye.

Not really recommended to go around checking this way, but is lots of fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

But joking aside, it comes does to what style you get. You can get parts that will look as normal as anything and only your MAD scanner or aura reader will ever know.

+Quote Post
RHat
post Feb 26 2014, 11:33 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 76,875

Aren't cybereyes ludicrously common?

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Feb 26 2014, 11:40 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

Yes and No.

Among the PC's it's not uncommon, especially as you can load up lots of different packages to suit the user.

Among your average NPC, however it is not as common, but probably one of the better known augmentations.

It is weird, but there is still a subtle bias against getting cyberware, especially as a voluntary measure.

Lost a limb during one of the Eurowars and sporting a cyberlimb? No prob.

Chopped off both of your arms of your own free will (like Argent where in his description they stress the fact this was a voluntary action) to get the same thing and people think you are bit loco.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Feb 27 2014, 06:06 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

Can you tell at a glance that an average pair of cybereyes are artificial?

the Player /char can decide weather his cybereyes are lifelike (not discernible) or obvious Cybereyes
and even then
Cybereyes and Datajacks are the most common (and most accepted) pieces of ' ware.
No Freakfactor at all.
the Social Limit stems from within the Char himself. According to RAW he feels inferior and "out-of-his-Body" if he has cyberware. And thats what limits him socially. (I consider this explanation ridicoulos but its RAW )

with an accepted Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Feb 27 2014, 09:32 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Well, if you get eyes like this then there could be some freak factor going on. Generally though, from past book descriptions, cybereyes look like normal eyes, except that they're color changing (and for the SR5 variant I'm surprised this isn't a WiFi only option now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif) ).

+Quote Post
Deschain
post Feb 27 2014, 09:37 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 5,328

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Feb 27 2014, 03:32 AM) *
Well, if you get eyes like this then there could be some freak factor going on. Generally though, from past book descriptions, cybereyes look like normal eyes, except that they're color changing (and for the SR5 variant I'm surprised this isn't a WiFi only option now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif) ).

Cybereyes Wi-Fi bonus: Able to rotate separately...i.e. IGUANA VISION!

Seriously though, if I can ever get my eyes chromed, that'll probably be the first thing I try...

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Feb 27 2014, 03:05 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (RHat @ Feb 26 2014, 04:33 PM) *
Aren't cybereyes ludicrously common?

Depends upon if you believe the fluff...
They are so common that there are clinics for them that will treat you on your Lunch Hour in the Mall.
Seems pretty ludicrously common to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Feb 27 2014, 04:38 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

they're the second most common Cyberware .directly after a Datajack

with a common Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Feb 27 2014, 11:15 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 27 2014, 08:05 AM) *
Depends upon if you believe the fluff...
They are so common that there are clinics for them that will treat you on your Lunch Hour in the Mall.
Seems pretty ludicrously common to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Lunch hour? Quite the luxury for the common wageslave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Feb 28 2014, 12:14 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

I would think the default would be, "Not discernible in most situations". Yeah, your street thugs or hipsters might want something crazy but most folks, and professionals, will want them to look as close to realio-dealio as possible.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Feb 28 2014, 12:16 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

QUOTE (Deschain @ Feb 27 2014, 03:37 AM) *
Cybereyes Wi-Fi bonus: Able to rotate separately...i.e. IGUANA VISION!

Seriously though, if I can ever get my eyes chromed, that'll probably be the first thing I try...

I want my Kid Stealth legs first. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Drace
post Feb 28 2014, 01:13 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,936

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Feb 27 2014, 08:16 PM) *

Max Str and Agi cyber legs with attached hand blades/spurs and climbing claws... Not obvious at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) then again walk around with those and everyone would pretend I not notice you, so I guess you could claim a default victory there.

As well, I've always found the fluff behind cyber eyes in general public to really away per each writer. Sometimes it's simply "no jimmy you can't have them until you are ten like all your friends (oh brainscan)" to even the natural ones give people the heebe jeebees. While data jacks were something almost every wageslave who valued their job had until trodes became non crap.

+Quote Post
Deschain
post Feb 28 2014, 03:17 AM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Feb 27 2014, 06:16 PM) *

As nifty as that'd be, I've said for years that if cyberware made its way to RL, one of the first things I'd want is a prehensile tail, retractable if possible. The amusement I could gain from having one would be worth the looks.

Granted, my reliance on corrective vision does throw cybereyes up on the list.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Feb 28 2014, 11:52 AM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

Right in the description of cybereyes:
Cybereyes are likely the most common cyberware in the Sixth World. Once designed to help the blind, the cybereyes of today allow for even better vision than the original equipment—it’s not uncommon for
anyone who can afford it to exchange perfectly functioning natural eyes with cybernetic replacements. Cybereyes can be purchased in any shape or color the user desires, from perfectly natural seeming to the most outrageous of ocular designs. Color and patterns are easily altered by downloading a new skin

That's from 4A, 5th has a similar blurp that mentions a social stigma "in some places", but most of those places I can think of are rather isolationist anyway, so an outsider would be shunned regardless of his eyes.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Feb 28 2014, 02:06 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Feb 27 2014, 04:15 PM) *
Lunch hour? Quite the luxury for the common wageslave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Not like they are not working in the corp designated lunch spot, in the corp approved Mall, on their corp approved devices. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Feb 28 2014, 10:05 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

You'd be surprised what you can already get done to your body on your lunch hour at the mall. Doesn't mean its all that common. Though much more so that it used to be.

I do wonder how corps would deal with the security risk posed by employees with cyber eyes. Think about the stink they's make today about somebody wearing Google glass or otherwise video-taping EVERYTHING they see. I'm guessing they'd have some contract about installing manditory lock-ware that can disable recording (as well as other undisclosed 'necessary operations capabilities'), which would probably be tied in to buying them at a discount from the company. Seems outrageous, but for many people, their cell phones are nearly as locked down.

+Quote Post
Drace
post Feb 28 2014, 10:25 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,936

QUOTE (Mongoose @ Feb 28 2014, 06:05 PM) *
You'd be surprised what you can already get done to your body on your lunch hour at the mall. Doesn't mean its all that common. Though much more so that it used to be.

I do wonder how corps would deal with the security risk posed by employees with cyber eyes. Think about the stink they's make today about somebody wearing Google glass or otherwise video-taping EVERYTHING they see. I'm guessing they'd have some contract about installing manditory lock-ware that can disable recording (as well as other undisclosed 'necessary operations capabilities'), which would probably be tied in to buying them at a discount from the company. Seems outrageous, but for many people, their cell phones are nearly as locked down.

Probably loophole less contracts that say thy owe all wages for the rest of their life and their next 5 lines of descendants lives to the company. Ontop of their eyes. All of their eyes.

+Quote Post
Deschain
post Feb 28 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #19

Target

QUOTE (Mongoose @ Feb 28 2014, 04:05 PM) *

Corps in RL would freak out, yes. Corps in SR though, they'd encourage it. The contracts their wage-slaves have signed no doubt state that purchase/installation of cyber-eyes must be done through a corp approved clinic with a minimum spec list. In addition, the employing corp would have access to the cyber-eye feeds via the employee's corporate commlink. In short, wage-slave becomes a potential extra security cam as well as a deterrent against betraying the company. Think how Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s doing cyber-eyes, only without the employee knowing about the cranial-bomb...

+Quote Post
Curator
post Mar 1 2014, 12:29 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 177,727

yea i'm sure any corp would have an employee sign a contract guaranteeing how they use their cybereyes if they weren't paid for by the corp. then they own them. plus i'm sure the buildings defenses would notice an unauthorized file transfer on property, if they didn't monitior they eyes exclusively. i'm talking level 5 security shizz for that though.

i always thought the ware grade helped determine how much the perception test can reveal

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 1 2014, 01:40 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 28 2014, 07:06 AM) *
Not like they are not working in the corp designated lunch spot, in the corp approved Mall, on their corp approved devices. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
True, but for comparison at my last job a full hour was not an option. You got 30 minutes, no ifs, ands, or buts, and they were sticklers on time (more than two minutes early or late and they took notice).

Now on the subject of Shadowrun, if that hour is a working lunch (paid, get to eat, but still must be working) then I could believe it.

+Quote Post
Curator
post Mar 1 2014, 03:38 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 177,727

QUOTE (Deschain @ Feb 28 2014, 11:11 PM) *
Corps in RL would freak out, yes. Corps in SR though, they'd encourage it. The contracts their wage-slaves have signed no doubt state that purchase/installation of cyber-eyes must be done through a corp approved clinic with a minimum spec list. In addition, the employing corp would have access to the cyber-eye feeds via the employee's corporate commlink. In short, wage-slave becomes a potential extra security cam as well as a deterrent against betraying the company. Think how Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s doing cyber-eyes, only without the employee knowing about the cranial-bomb...

screws the idea of the dirty cop. maybe they can just turn their wireless off and get hardly noticied

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 1 2014, 03:39 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Feb 28 2014, 06:40 PM) *
True, but for comparison at my last job a full hour was not an option. You got 30 minutes, no ifs, ands, or buts, and they were sticklers on time (more than two minutes early or late and they took notice).

Yeah, I know places like that.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.