IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rule changes from 2nd to 3rd that didn't take, What didn't you change?
booklord
post May 4 2004, 04:46 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,583

When I switched from 2nd to 3rd Edition years ago some of the ol rules stuck. We voted on which rules we'd take and which ones we'd keep. I'll give an example of a rule that didn't take.

The astral damage table in shadowrun 2nd Edition was :

Unarmed Astral : (Charisma) L
Weapon Foci : (Charisma + Force/2) M
Dual nature : As physical damage
Spirit : ( force ) M
Barrier : ( force ) L

The astral damage table in shadowrun 3rd Edition is :

Unarmed Astral : ( Charisma ) M
Weapon Foci : ( Charisma ) + weapon type
Dual Nature : As physical damage
Spirit : ( force ) M
Barrier : ( force ) M

Well, that didn't sit well with the team mage. He had spent a lot of time bonding with his weapon foci dagger which had suddenly become less affective then just fighting unarmed. The physical adept likewise felt cheated. Personally I felt that a Force 2 weapon foci dagger should do as much damage as a Force 2 weapon foci polearm. ( Polearm still gets a reach bonus ) So we kept the old table.

Anyone else keep any rules from 2nd Edition when they switched from 3rd Edition?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post May 4 2004, 05:18 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Skill web.

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post May 4 2004, 05:24 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

Skill Web = Booh-Yeah!!!

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 4 2004, 06:00 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Skill web?

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 4 2004, 06:13 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

Skill Web = Defaulting on Crack. You could default from Heavy Weapons to Biotech and from there to Corporate Etiquette if you really wanted to, but each skill you take on the path from one to the other added +1 to the TN. Basically, it was a table you had to reference regularly in order to default. 3rd Edition's system is much simpler and doesn't require much referencing once you get the basics down.

+Quote Post
Connor
post May 4 2004, 06:15 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

We kept the FoF strength recoil mods over the ones in CC.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 4 2004, 06:18 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
Skill Web = Defaulting on Crack. You could default from Heavy Weapons to Biotech and from there to Corporate Etiquette if you really wanted to, but each skill you take on the path from one to the other added +1 to the TN. Basically, it was a table you had to reference regularly in order to default. 3rd Edition's system is much simpler and doesn't require much referencing once you get the basics down.

Yipe. That sounds absolutely insane.

QUOTE (Connor)
We kept the FoF strength recoil mods over the ones in CC.

I'm not familiar with 2nd Edition at all, really (in case that wasn't already obvious); any chance you could post a copy?

+Quote Post
Connor
post May 4 2004, 06:24 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Unfortunately most of my books are still packed up. I just moved not too long ago and I haven't unpacked most of that stuff yet.

Basically the FoF strength recoil mods are more generous than the ones in CC. So you get more recoil comp for a similar strength. Someone else around here my have a copy of FoF handy and can post up the table...

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post May 4 2004, 06:29 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

Just let me get my copy out of the scanner here, as soon as this gun is scanned...

Strength = Recoil reduction
1-4 = 0
5-6 = -1
7-8 = -2
9-10 = -3
11-12 = -4

+Quote Post
LoseAsDirected
post May 4 2004, 06:44 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,418

Man, I completely forgot about the skill web..

I never really liked that they changed so many spells.. I miss my Hellblast spell..

+Quote Post
Connor
post May 4 2004, 06:56 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Thanks for posting that up Cats.

I also miss the Hellblast spell, and so did all the guys that played mages during the switch..heh. Although we never bothered to bring it back. I think for the most part we were happy or fine with tha changes and didn't see much reason to keep the older material around except in a few rare cases. But it's been so long now I don't really know if I can name anything else at the moment.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 4 2004, 07:16 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

Wasn't Hellblast just a Deadly Fireball with no variation?

+Quote Post
Connor
post May 4 2004, 07:23 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

ACL, it's been so long, I'm incilned to think you're right. Perhaps that's why we never bothered to do anything with it. I didn't do a lot of magic stuff in 2nd Edition and not until we were well into the 3rd Ed. conversion...

+Quote Post
L.D
post May 4 2004, 09:40 AM
Post #14

Harlequin

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 861

QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime @ May 4 2004, 02:13 AM)
Skill Web = Defaulting on Crack.  You could default from Heavy Weapons to Biotech and from there to Corporate Etiquette if you really wanted to, but each skill you take on the path from one to the other added +1 to the TN.  Basically, it was a table you had to reference regularly in order to default.  3rd Edition's system is much simpler and doesn't require much referencing once you get the basics down.

Yipe. That sounds absolutely insane.

That was actually a "slight" exageration, but I could default from Military Theory to Ettiquette. Or from Gunnery B/R to Armed Combat.

Here's an example of the 2:nd edition skill web. You can move from one skill to any other skill as long as you don't pass an arrow in the "wrong way". You can't go from Armed Combat to Stealth, but you can go the other way around. Each dot passed gives you +2TN. Actually, you can move from Armed Combat to Stealth, but that would require you to pass Armed Combat B/R, Firearms B/R, Firearms and then you're home free! Although you'd have a TN modifier of +14.

I remeber one time when a troll with 15 in strength and one of those great big axes with +2 in reach used his strenght instead of Armed Combat. It was insane!

+Quote Post
Rock-Steady
post May 4 2004, 10:37 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 1,934

We still use the 2nd Ed Attribute Karma Costs.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post May 4 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

There were big dots and little dots too...big dots were +2TN and little dots were +1TN I believe...it may have been +4 and +2, or they were half-dots or something...but you could roll your Magical Theory or your Enchanting skill for your Sorcery or Conjuring :P

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
L.D
post May 4 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #17

Harlequin

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 861

I conjure a city spirit using... Aura Reading! :D

It was +2, except if you where using a concentration/specialization. I tried to understand how to use the +1 thingy (it's in SRC), but it gave me a headache.

+Quote Post
Namergon
post May 4 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 639

QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
Wasn't Hellblast just a Deadly Fireball with no variation?

It was also a combat spell, whereas in 3rd edition, elemantal effects are only in manipulation spells.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post May 4 2004, 01:01 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

New Hellblast Spell:
Elemental manipulation, Area effect, Physical, Instant, Fire Elemental Effect, Blast Elemental Effect - final drain of +1(Damage level+3) (Cast it at Deadly for +7D drain, or at Light for +1D drain...).

For real nasty effect, add the Extended Area modifier as well, and you have a +9D ranged elemental manipulation doing deadly damage with fire and blast effects, that targets an area with Magic x 10 meter radius.

(For cool effect and more nastiness, you might want to add Smoke elemental effects too - merely an additional +2 drain power. No sweat.)

Nothing like it! :grinbig:

+Quote Post
phaedrus
post May 4 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #20

Target

From: for the most part a stunned and stationary target...
Member No.: 2,884

I never played 2nd ed, but I've been told there were different rules for initiative passes - that being super fast didn't just mean you went first, but it meant you went more than once before the non-super quick characters? Is that right? Why did they change it? (Please, if this is going to start some kind of flame over reaction/speed of movement then I'll just take the question back and you can all pretend I didn't ask...)

+Quote Post
Cray74
post May 4 2004, 01:33 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

Initiative. My group sticks to SR2 initiative.

SR3 went a long way to giving slower characters a better chance to act early in combat, rather than letting high initiative characters dominate combat. SR3 is much fairer system.

However, I don't believe combat should be fair (at least in that fashion). Hence, I stick to SR2 initiative.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post May 4 2004, 01:44 PM
Post #22

Running Target

SR2 Initiative went like this: Roll your initiative. Start with the highest number. That person acts, then subtracts 10 from their number. Repeat. So your Street Sam rolls his 12 + 4d6 and gets a 39, and your combat decker rolls his 6 + 1d6 and gets a 7. That means the sam's going to use EVERY ONE of his actions before the decker gets a single shot off. Makes gettign those reflex boosters much more important.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
phaedrus
post May 4 2004, 01:54 PM
Post #23

Target

From: for the most part a stunned and stationary target...
Member No.: 2,884

So is it common to keep the SR2 rules on initiative? Makes more sense to me - if someone is that much faster than you, why should you get to go after they've had only one of their four actions... Those who have spent the essence, nuyen and effort to be super fast should get the benefit. Otherwise my arthritic grandma still gets to fire her shotgun immediately after the super-wired street sam who just grabbed her purse.

+Quote Post
northern lights
post May 4 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,929

i totally prefer the 2nd edition init spirit. the sammie was lightning for a reason, he needed to get that mage down and fast. now you have a character rolling 5d6+14 and you're toast cause everyone else gets their shot in on you. okay so you're double everyone else, well that sucks. you take out one dude you're first init pass then all 5 remaining guys gun you down one l or m at a time. the only thing in 3rd that follows this spirit is the required extra actions for move by wire.

makes a fast physad useless unless he can soak 5 hits.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post May 4 2004, 02:03 PM
Post #25

Running Target

It does make more logical sense that way, but the other way no one other than a speed freak cyberzombie or initiated adept would stand a chance in combat. It was an attempt to solve that particular problem without letting those who spend all that nuyen/karma/essence/power points to become super-fast lose the advantages of that. Personally, I go with a 3rd Ed just because I don't like my PCs dying and I don't like pulling punches either.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:29 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.