IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Concealed carry, What are you armed with off the job?
FuelDrop
post Mar 4 2014, 02:25 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

You're not on the run all the time and most runners can't carry their prized Ares Alpha with them at all times, in spite of what they wish was the case. None the less Runners move in dangerous circles and having a weapon close to hand can be the difference between life and death.

So, what weapon/armour loadout do your runners carry when off the job?

Zero favors a smart, silenced Colt Agent Special as her concealed carry of choice, generally loaded with S&S rounds and carrying a spare clip each of S&S and APDS. While on paper that just looks like an inferior taser with a large mag capacity, Zero's skill with semi-automatic pistols means that she's more comfortable with it than the more legal and effective Defiance EX Shocker.

Of course when she goes somewhere a bit rougher out comes the lined coat, which those that know her well will tell you is hiding a sawnoff shotgun. She's good enough at hiding it that short of giving her a pat-down the first sign she's packing heat is generally the distinctive click of a pump action. And yes she does load it with shot because if you've gone and forced her to draw a shotgun play time is over.

Her weapon of last resort is her hand razors, and while she's skilled enough with them the fact is that even with her augmentations she's not really got that much strength behind the blow. Still, if it's come to the point when she needs to use them then things have already gone to hell in a hand basket.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Mar 4 2014, 02:50 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

To be honest, you can carry a lot if you're smart about it. I carried a full-size Glock 17, two 17-round magazines, a 3.5-inch fixed blade knife, and a 2 and 3/8-inch fixed blade knife almost every waking moment for two months in OWB (Outside the WaistBand) rigs before my wife realized that I had my CHL. The only reason why I got "outed" was the fact that she surprised me with a trip to the Federal building were carrying in illegal so I had to put the gun under my front seat while she was in the car. My concealment garments were a 5.11 "shoot me first!" vest or a heavy-weight green flannel shirt. Check out ScottEVest for even better options for packing tons of stuff on the down-low.

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Mar 4 2014, 02:58 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,343

My hacker infiltrator is usually wearing either her Form Fitting or Second Skin and carrying her taser. Of course she is also a (non-standard) vampire and Adept, so there is that too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Rubic
post Mar 4 2014, 04:50 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 31,052

Gummy always has candies on her person. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And, let's face it, the best choice on or off the run is the Ingram Smartgun X, a powerful choice right out of packaging, and now available stock in a variety of patterns and colors to match EVERY outfit and ANY engagement, and with a plethora of available modifications for all but the most adamant gun-hater! Stop by your gun shop and demand the Ingram Smartgun X that's right for you!

Ingram, your first best choice, made to last!

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Mar 4 2014, 04:55 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Rubic @ Mar 4 2014, 12:50 PM) *
Gummy always has candies on her person. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And, let's face it, the best choice on or off the run is the Ingram Smartgun X, a powerful choice right out of packaging, and now available stock in a variety of patterns and colors to match EVERY outfit and ANY engagement, and with a plethora of available modifications for all but the most adamant gun-hater! Stop by your gun shop and demand the Ingram Smartgun X that's right for you!

Ingram, your first best choice, made to last!

Meh, I prefer to Trust The Legend ™

Also, I think that half of Jackpoint has an Ares fetish so best of luck convincing them...

+Quote Post
Rubic
post Mar 4 2014, 05:03 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 3 2014, 11:55 PM) *
Meh, I prefer to Trust The Legend ™

Also, I think that half of Jackpoint has an Ares fetish so best of luck convincing them...

(cue scenes revolving around a cabin in the hills) There's quite a few legends out there. Some true, like sasquatch, some still yet to be proven. (clip of an eagle flying overhead) When a professional is out in the field, though, (rugged old man, stubble on a strong, set jaw and a thousand-mile stare) what he needs is more than tall tales. He needs something he can hold on to, something he knows won't let him down. (a Grizzly pops through the treeline and charges the man, who levels a stylized rifle... BANG! Bear staggers a few steps and tumbles over from the inertia of its charge, tranq dart sticking out of its neck).

Remington. Make your OWN legends.

+Quote Post
thorya
post Mar 4 2014, 05:06 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 39,030

When I played (rather than GM'd), my characters always carried stun ball, control actions, invisibility, ignite (a mean spell for a nasty surprise if you have time), and physical barrier with him or her as their concealed carry weapons for everyday use.

Except for my demo expert. He had an armored jacket lined with C4, several frag grenades, and many slap patches of cram. But he was less concerned with his own safety and more concerned with his next hit and making sure no one ever took him alive.

+Quote Post
Rubic
post Mar 4 2014, 05:13 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Today, we live in a complicated world (clips staged in various "Touristvilles" around the globe, showing gangs troubling the streets). A world bereft of refinement and comfort. (cut to classic "MIB have arrived" shot, displaying people in suits carrying various guns, including the Sakura Fubuki. Cut to "Open Fire" as the muzzle flare fades to the logo).

Yamaha. Simply elegant solutions for a complicated world.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Mar 4 2014, 05:16 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (thorya @ Mar 4 2014, 01:06 PM) *
When I played (rather than GM'd), my characters always carried stun ball, control actions, invisibility, ignite (a mean spell for a nasty surprise if you have time), and physical barrier with him or her as their concealed carry weapons for everyday use.

Except for my demo expert. He had an armored jacket lined with C4, several frag grenades, and many slap patches of cram. But he was less concerned with his own safety and more concerned with his next hit and making sure no one ever took him alive.

Woah there, lets not blow things out of proportion around here...

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Mar 4 2014, 05:29 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

Given that SR5 didn't bother with giving us individual concealability ratings for guns, brand and model don't really matter much. Apparently a hogleg like the Super Warhawk or a Roomsweeper is just as easy to hide as a Predator these days.

That said, Murphy generally doesn't bother carrying a gun off the run. Most people don't pick fist fights with a troll in Armante with a gold chrome cyberarm.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Mar 4 2014, 05:37 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Mar 4 2014, 01:29 PM) *
That said, Murphy generally doesn't bother carrying a gun off the run. Most people don't pick fist fights with a troll in Armante with a gold chrome cyberarm.

Damn cowards.

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Mar 4 2014, 05:42 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,343

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 4 2014, 02:37 PM) *
Damn cowards.

Naw, it's just all that chrome makes the blood taste like oil. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Mar 5 2014, 07:53 AM
Post #13

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

Old Man Jones can kill you with his mind.

What does he need a sidearm for?

Not to say he didn't carry them anyway. Several. Including one embedded in his arm. He also has laser eyes.

Because he's Old Man Jones.

-k

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Mar 5 2014, 08:34 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 5 2014, 03:53 PM) *
Old Man Jones can kill you with his mind.

What does he need a sidearm for?

Not to say he didn't carry them anyway. Several. Including one embedded in his arm. He also has laser eyes.

Because he's Old Man Jones.

-k

I like Old Man Jones.

+Quote Post
Xystophoroi
post Mar 5 2014, 09:00 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 57,622

Defiance Ex Shocker and a spare set of taser darts.

Michael 'Mac Myddin' Walt is a professional wagemage family man. He doesn't travel in dangerous circles.

At least. That's what my SIN says.

Generally though he's not out on the mean streets unless on a run (he pays extra for enhanced security on his medium lifestyle home and lives in the nice controlled areas of town) and most encounters with armed people are with 'legitimate' law enforcement and civillians. Hence a weapon that's unlikely to escalate violence or draw legality checks.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 5 2014, 05:12 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 4 2014, 03:25 AM) *
You're not on the run all the time and most runners can't carry their prized Ares Alpha with them at all times, in spite of what they wish was the case.

Not an Alpha, but a Predator (not the one you take to work, of course) always goes

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 5 2014, 05:24 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Nexus (Cyberlogician) carries a Hammerli 620s.
Jenks (Occult Investigator) carries a Fichetti Security 600.

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Mar 5 2014, 06:24 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Mar 4 2014, 12:29 AM) *
Given that SR5 didn't bother with giving us individual concealability ratings for guns, brand and model don't really matter much. Apparently a hogleg like the Super Warhawk or a Roomsweeper is just as easy to hide as a Predator these days.

I miss conceal ratings, but sounds to me like murphy carries two guns with him at all times. He is a troll after all.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Mar 5 2014, 07:51 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Mar 5 2014, 12:24 PM) *
I miss conceal ratings, but sounds to me like murphy carries two guns with him at all times. He is a troll after all.

It's more that when the local go-gang scrapes some punk of theirs up with a broken jaw, they write it off as him picking a fight he couldn't finish rather than getting pissed about bullet holes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Mar 8 2014, 03:20 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

QUOTE (thorya @ Mar 3 2014, 11:06 PM) *
He had an armored jacket lined with C4, several frag grenades, and many slap patches of cram.

The first guy to use Explosive Rounds against this nutter is gonna be REAL surprised at their effectiveness.

Sympathetic detonation can easily become your worst nightmare.

~Umi

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Mar 8 2014, 04:08 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Probably a non-issue, really. Explosive bullets only have enough "bang" in them to consistently fragment the bullet and C4 requires you to be pretty darn intent on setting it off with specific equipment. Of course, this goes straight out the window if you want explosive bullets to "pull a Kite" so it's really up to you and your group.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Mar 9 2014, 02:34 AM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (psychophipps @ Mar 9 2014, 12:08 AM) *
Probably a non-issue, really. Explosive bullets only have enough "bang" in them to consistently fragment the bullet and C4 requires you to be pretty darn intent on setting it off with specific equipment. Of course, this goes straight out the window if you want explosive bullets to "pull a Kite" so it's really up to you and your group.

Isn't C-4 detonated by an electrical current? Very likely wrong, but if so S&S rounds are going to be a lot less non-lethal around this guy.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Mar 9 2014, 02:36 AM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Wouldn't do a thing.

At least, that's my understanding. Requires a blasting cap (a shock wave). Course, I wouldn't want to test that personally.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 9 2014, 02:51 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

While I never get to play, my favorite Mr. Johnson has finally replaced his modified Browning Ultrapower with a Colt Agent Special with similar mods. Typically in a Small-Of-The-Back concealed holster, but sometimes in a shoulder rig. He also has a lot of hunting and fishing permits, which allows for a variety of interesting weapons available to him. He also keeps a SMG of whatever type he currently played with in the door holsters of his car (driver and passenger.).

Once my group met him on the docks, where a rented fishing boat was being loaded with depth charges. "What are you fishing for? My ex-wife?" "Megalodon." "Almost as vicious."

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Mar 9 2014, 02:56 AM
Post #25

Running Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 8 2014, 08:51 PM) *
While I never get to play, my favorite Mr. Johnson has finally replaced his modified Browning Ultrapower with a Colt Agent Special with similar mods. Typically in a Small-Of-The-Back concealed holster, but sometimes in a shoulder rig. He also has a lot of hunting and fishing permits, which allows for a variety of interesting weapons available to him. He also keeps a SMG of whatever type he currently played with in the door holsters of his car (driver and passenger.).

Once my group met him on the docks, where a rented fishing boat was being loaded with depth charges. "What are you fishing for? My ex-wife?" "Megalodon." "Almost as vicious."

That, my friend, is pretty damn funny. In fact, this an ex-wife joke worthy of the Hammer demonstration in Iron Man 2.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.