IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just for fun: Shadowrun Crossovers, Shadowrunning on the Enterprise, anyone?
FuelDrop
post Mar 14 2014, 11:39 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

Crossovers, also known as "X meets Y", are when two different fictional universes intersect for the span of a story or so.

In the Shadowrun 'verse a solid framing device for pretty much anything is 'Corporate Experiment Gone Wrong', which for the purposes of this thread results in an inter-dimensional crossover.

So, what universes do you think would be really cool for shadowrunners to be dropped into?

My first thought would be TNG startrek. How would the Utopian Federation handle a group of hardened mercs from an alternate dimension rocking up out of the blue? And as a side note, anyone who's seen Voyager can testify that the 'runners weapons will be far superior to anything Federation issue...

Then there's the Star Wars universe. Admit it, you all want to know if a Jedi can parry a shotgun blast.

A superhero universe could also work, considering how far ahead of baseline mundanes most runners are...

Come on, throw some stuff out there!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Mar 14 2014, 11:50 PM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Just to say it before Stahl gets here.....

My Shadow Pony (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Where Cyberlegs are the norm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 15 2014, 12:04 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

ST:TNG may be utopian, but not the entire galaxy's that way. Plenty of planets and such where it's just as messed up as Shadowrun's Earth is. But then, also, just how good is the computer security on a Federation starship?

There've been times I've been half tempted to try writing a Shadowrun/Ghost In The Shell crossover. How would Section 9 be able to deal with a competent technomancer (using SR4 mechanics, not SR5)?

Or how about the Stargate universe. Think the SGC would like someone who can hack the Pentagon from the Pegasus galaxy? (Again, not using SR5 mechanics.)

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Mar 15 2014, 12:06 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Mar 15 2014, 08:04 AM) *
ST:TNG may be utopian, but not the entire galaxy's that way. Plenty of planets and such where it's just as messed up as Shadowrun's Earth is. But then, also, just how good is the computer security on a Federation starship?

Nonexistent, as proven in multiple episodes of the show ('Up the long ladder', for instance).

+Quote Post
tasti man LH
post Mar 15 2014, 12:25 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 66,005

Well, Fantasy Flight Games' "Star Wars: Edge of the Empire" is basically Star Wars+Shadowrun.

And Marvel Studios' "Guardians of the Galaxy" is also just "Marvel's Space Shadowrunners".

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 15 2014, 12:26 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Was trying to entice a possible story about what a rogue technomancer might be able to do...

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Mar 15 2014, 12:32 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Mar 15 2014, 08:26 AM) *
Was trying to entice a possible story about what a rogue technomancer might be able to do...

While a rogue technomancer in ST:TNG would be incredibly powerful, it is canon that computer security on the Federation Flagship is so bad that you don't even need to be a Decker to access the vast majority of it without any authorization at all.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 15 2014, 01:18 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 14 2014, 06:32 PM) *
While a rogue technomancer in ST:TNG would be incredibly powerful, it is canon that computer security on the Federation Flagship is so bad that you don't even need to be a Decker to access the vast majority of it without any authorization at all.
True, it's one thing to be able to tap in by using the actual interface, but what if someone could do that without using any of those interfaces...

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 15 2014, 02:09 AM
Post #9

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Something I threw together a few years ago (it might be different now, based on more Song of Ice and Fire lore that's surfaced, but whatever, you get the idea):

The year is 2050 and megacorp TargaryNet has been torn to shreds in a series of hostile takeovers despite their draconic support. The corporate merger between Baratheonics and LanniSoft has brought about an uneasy truce in the Sixth World, as together the two are a force the other Seven Megacorporations can't compete with. The smallfolk are still adapting to the 2011 Awakening that brought about a decades-long summer and ushered magic back into the world, but the Corporate Court and the Seven Megas rest for no man. There are profits to be made, after all.

Massive TullyTech trawlers scour the seas and waters for algae and sea-creatures that keep the smallfolk of all the Seven Megas fed, while unruly Greyjoy thugs -- ruthless corporate sharks united to criminal pirate networks and granted Mega status only grudgingly -- nip at their heels and smuggle goods across dangerous oceans. Martech facilities rake in terrible profits from diamonds and oil across Africa and the Middle East but their comparatively primitive industrial methods are sneered at by their peers and rivals. ArryNetwork spires climb towards the heavens in impressive displays of engineering, but their true pride and joy is the world's first self-sustaining orbital facility, the Eyrie, letting them look down on the smallfolk from madness-inducing heights. Magically talented Tyrellogistics executives smirk up at them in response, their hydroponic facilities sprawled across Europe, their shipping facilities spreading their influence and collecting their unfathomable wealth from every corner of the globe.

StarKorp, with their northern holdings and antarctic research facilities, broadcasts dire warnings across the Matrix, but the sunny lords of southern lands aren't eager to listen. Baratheonics reaps profits as a dizzyingly powerful PR and media firm thanks to their CEO's position as First Speaker of the Corporate Court, all while the elven execs from LanniSoft, military-industrial giants and the golden lords of the Matrix, reap the benefits of merger-brought stock options.

The Corporate Court's private army, Nite.Watch, prowls the wastelands where magic spikes the wildest, but no one but StarKorp pays their dues to keep the security force manned and equipped. Magic is back, StarKorp reminds the rest of the Court at every meeting. Interrupted Nite.Watch transmissions warn of the dead walking and other horrors. The other six Megacorps scoff at their concern and rake in their wealth, indulging in petty takeovers, cyber-duels, corporate espionage, and every extravagance known to man.

But StarKorp knows the mana level is on the rise, and Winter Is Coming.

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Mar 15 2014, 12:25 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 29,391

A star trek crossover would have to take place during "trouble with tribbles".

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 15 2014, 03:09 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I had a friend who used the SR rules to run a space opera once.

I created (but was never able to play) a character somewhat based on Mr. Universe from Firefly.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Mar 15 2014, 03:15 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

Star Trek's Section 31 is basically a bunch of Shadowrunners, to be honest. They not only have to get the job done, but they have to keep up the Federation's mamby-pamby, Boy Scout reputation while they get the jobs that no one else has the stones to do.

+Quote Post
Kyrel
post Mar 15 2014, 06:31 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,583

I'd actually kind of like to see a bunch of Shadowrunners in White Wolf's Old World of Darkness setting. Ought to fit in well enough.

Shadowrunners in Star Wars would probably also work quite fine. Bounty Hunters and Spies anyone?

A more f***ed up crossover, however, would be to drop a team of runners in The Forgotten Realms for an extended period of time.

Shadowrunners vs. Aliens and/or Predator might also be kinda fun.

Plenty of options really.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 15 2014, 06:40 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Kyrel @ Mar 15 2014, 01:31 PM) *
Shadowrunners vs. Aliens and/or Predator might also be kinda fun.

MLP / Aliens is a crossover that I've heard is pretty good. So I don't see why it couldn't be SR / Aliens too.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Mar 15 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

SR and Blue Planet
Shadowrunners are warped to a Water planet that is barely colonized and brims with alien aquatic Lifeforms
---------------------------
SR and GURPS Yrth
Yrth is a vanilla EDO Fantasy World with a twist.
All mages (ALL !) work together to retain the Status Quo of a medieval Techlevel. Everyone with a higher technology will be hunted down and stripped of his tech and his Memory erased or (if too dangerous) killed and his technology
destroyed. Woe to Droneriggers and cybered Streetsams
--------------------------
SR and Deadlands
Shadowrunners fighting Horrors and Undead...or maybe Mad Scientists with Steamware
---------------------------
SR and Firefly
Runners with a Spaceship that are..... just Leaves in the Wind

with Dances on different Worlds
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 15 2014, 08:57 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

I've actually played all of those.

Well, not that variant of GRUPS, but...

Wait, no, I haven't played Deadlands.

+Quote Post
Kesendeja
post Mar 16 2014, 10:17 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,226

QUOTE (Kyrel @ Mar 15 2014, 01:31 PM) *
A more f***ed up crossover, however, would be to drop a team of runners in The Forgotten Realms for an extended period of time.

Sort of been there, my GM actually dumped us in the Warhammer Fantasy world after we managed to stop a demonic summoning.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Mar 18 2014, 03:32 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Mar 16 2014, 05:17 AM) *
Sort of been there, my GM actually dumped us in the Warhammer Fantasy world after we managed to stop a demonic summoning.

I heard the reverse (almost) - some WH40K dudes got dumped in the FR 'verse after stopping a demonic summoning.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Mar 18 2014, 05:06 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

mmmmm..... Bolter Ammo

plus all the trolls would be thrilled at weapons just their size. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 18 2014, 05:08 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Mar 18 2014, 11:06 AM) *
mmmmm..... Bolter Ammo

plus all the trolls would be thrilled as weapons just their size. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Just throw some Assault Cannon rounds into the Bolter - Should work... Right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Mar 18 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,341

Shadowrun could probably dovetail into the Borderlands universe pretty well - behemoth corporations that span galaxies and have zero regard for human life; isolated orders of mystics capable of tapping into mysterious special abilities; plus: guns. lots and lots of guns.

+Quote Post
Happy Trees
post Mar 19 2014, 04:00 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 188,262

Borderlands would couple with Shadowrun VERY nicely. It's actually one of the reasons I chose CalFree for my campaign setting for my kids. They love campaigning in The Dust.

I don't like how Manhattan is set up in Shadowrun, and tentatively plan to replace that whole area with Mega City 1 from the Judge Dredd universe, having my kids make a run on some Mega Blocks and try to avoid getting geeked by the judges. It seems it should be easy enough, if I just incorporate SIN and make the local s see magic users as muties.

+Quote Post
Azrael
post Mar 22 2014, 12:39 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 131

We once hacked shadow run not so much to reflect an alternate universe but more of an extrapolated future. We ended up with the world of 2500, where soldiers / riggers ran around in heavy gear style mini mechs, physical adepts ran around in organic mechs (kinda like the guyver suits), mages had harnessed void magic and our poor little deckers were made redundant by sentient quantum AIs (this was the days of the second edition mind you, so having AIs as characters was not the norm).

Was a blast. The major antagonists were space-faring horrors and the other corp worlds.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Mar 22 2014, 06:16 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Between UV nodes and the metaplanes you can port current SR characters to anything at all.

EDIT: The good thing about SR is that the rules are flexible enough to allow you to do it too.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 22 2014, 06:26 PM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Neraph @ Mar 22 2014, 01:16 PM) *
Between UV nodes and the metaplanes you can port current SR characters to anything at all.

EDIT: The good thing about SR is that the rules are flexible enough to allow you to do it too.

That's what they said about GURPS.

(I still need to get me a copy of GURPS Asparagus)

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:09 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.