Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New SR5 Campaign Spooling Up, Character Analysis
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 27 2014, 11:06 PM
Post #1

Prime Runner Ascendant

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,022

We have a new Campaign Starting up, and the Edition is 5th. So, I have put together the following character for the game. Just asking what people think and wanted to see if there were any glaring holes in the build. I do know that the DP's are not High (But they are respectable in my opinion), but they look like they will work for what I am wanting to do in the game. Let me know what you think, as it is my First character for an actual Campaign and not a theory craft to test out rules. Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

[ Spoiler ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
adamu
post Mar 27 2014, 11:33 PM
Post #2

Snakehandler

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,508

(Your post signature notwithstanding…) English is a pretty useful language.

I assume your campaign is taking place in China, but I think you would run into issues operating in HK, or abroad, or even in educated international circles within China without English.

Just a thought.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 27 2014, 11:46 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (adamu @ Mar 27 2014, 04:33 PM) *
(Your post signature notwithstanding…) English is a pretty useful language.

I assume your campaign is taking place in China, but I think you would run into issues operating in HK, or abroad, or even in educated international circles within China without English.

Just a thought.

Indeed... We will be in the Guangdong Province/State/Whatever it is (Canton Confederation), working out of the City of Guangzhou.
I am a bit torn on the Languages, because I am generally the Language hound. I had a 2nd Language in there before I removed it, and I might put it back in.
Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

EDIT: Put English Back in...

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Mar 27 2014, 11:49 PM
Post #4

Skillwire Savant

Member No.: 88,139

Yeah, definitely pick-up whatever the secondary language in the area is and take at least two ranks in it. The number of dice you can use from your social skills is limited by the number of dice you have in whatever language your target speaks (I have no clue how this works when two non-native speakers are talking to each other, I assume it is based on the speaker's skill).

ETA: I'm also a big fan of the Cleaner/Static Veil combo as well. One of the problems with learning new CFs is finding someone who has the one you want. Could be complicated, could be easy depending on the GM.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 27 2014, 11:55 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 27 2014, 04:49 PM) *
Yeah, definitely pick-up whatever the secondary language in the area is and take at least two ranks in it. The number of dice you can use from your social skills is limited by the number of dice you have in whatever language your target speaks (I have no clue how this works when two non-native speakers are talking to each other, I assume it is based on the speaker's skill).

ETA: I'm also a big fan of the Cleaner/Static Veil combo as well. One of the problems with learning new CFs is finding someone who has the one you want. Could be complicated, could be easy depending on the GM.

For Languages, we have always used the Rank as the Limit for Hits. Easier that way, and works out okay. Will see if we continue to do that in SR5 (Though I doubt it).

Noted on the CF's. I considered both, and actually had 2 CF's originally, but eventually decided against it and went to the one chosen. No sustaining Penalties is nice, though I do not see me using it often.
Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 28 2014, 12:19 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

decompiling is not terribly useful. i feel you'd be better off splitting that group, and putting the group points towards your biotech and engineering

hardware is not that great for a technomancer. i'd put the hacking group at 6 instead, and split out the electronics group, with considerably lower rating in hardware, personally.

looking forward, i'd say it's likely you'll want to have another technomancer (ideally a group) and a free sprite in your contact list, but that's a bit metagame focused (and you can probably pick them up later as well).

no smartgun? even without the wireless, it's better than the laser sight, and i feel like it would fit the concept just fine. plus, adjustable choke + smartgun = good times.

on a side note, have you talked to your GM about the relative state of technomancers as compared to deckers? are there any houserules to make it a bit less painful?

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Mar 28 2014, 12:28 AM
Post #7

Skillwire Savant

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 27 2014, 06:55 PM) *
For Languages, we have always used the Rank as the Limit for Hits. Easier that way, and works out okay. Will see if we continue to do that in SR5 (Though I doubt it).

Oh cool, I was just relaying the SR5 rules on it.

PS Cleaner is not a sustained CF, it's Permanent (so you only have to sustain it a few CTs). It should help you significantly if you're planning on doing a lot of hacking and are at all worried about convergence. While Static Veil is sustained, you only have to thread it at L1 (meaning you could take Focused Concentration 1 and sustain it without penalty).

ETA: I agree with what Jaid said about Decompiling. Since you don't have any ranks in Locksmith, I'm not sure if Hardware would be all that useful for you either.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 28 2014, 12:37 AM
Post #8

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Jaid @ Mar 27 2014, 05:19 PM) *
decompiling is not terribly useful. i feel you'd be better off splitting that group, and putting the group points towards your biotech and engineering

hardware is not that great for a technomancer. i'd put the hacking group at 6 instead, and split out the electronics group, with considerably lower rating in hardware, personally.

looking forward, i'd say it's likely you'll want to have another technomancer (ideally a group) and a free sprite in your contact list, but that's a bit metagame focused (and you can probably pick them up later as well).

no smartgun? even without the wireless, it's better than the laser sight, and i feel like it would fit the concept just fine. plus, adjustable choke + smartgun = good times.

on a side note, have you talked to your GM about the relative state of technomancers as compared to deckers? are there any houserules to make it a bit less painful?

Not a big fan of the Tasking Group as a whole, honestly. Was seriously considering dropping it entirely, at least to begin with. Could indeed switch it with either Biotech or Engineering Groups and use the 5 points to just get Compiling/Registering at 1 (with a spare Karma Point remaining).

I cannot specialize a Group at Chargen, which is why I put the 6 in Electronics and the Hacking group Skills as Individualized. Truth be told, I far prefer to have specialties delineated at the start (even if it is not the best way to go, point wise). And you use [Edited: Locksmith] to crack Locks (The Lockpicking Skill does not exist in SR5, after all, it is all [Locksmith] Rolls now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I have been debating on the Smartlink. I don't really have a big pool to start with, and the Link gives me an additional +1 Limit, which is definitely nice. And you are right... The ability to change settings on weapon is nice, but I don't plan on having it wireless, so that removes the easy ability to switch modes/Choke Settings anyway. Still, I am looking at that. I have enough Funds to make that change should it be needed (based upon any House Rules that may be in play).

As for Possible House Rules - Those will be discussed at the Initial Session, with Finalization of Character to occur at that time. Not sure what they may be, since he is still putting them together. We will see how it flows at that point.

Thanks for the Deconstruction Jaid. Greatly Appreciated... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

EDIT: Changed the Tasking Group to Engineering Group, Added Compiling 1, Registering 1, and Classical Music 1 with Karma...

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Mar 28 2014, 12:39 AM
Post #9

Skillwire Savant

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 27 2014, 07:37 PM) *
And you use Hardware to crack Locks (The Lockpicking Skill does not exist in SR5, after all, it is all Hardware Rolls now - even if the rules don't reflect that, the errata removed the Lockpicking skill entirely, so all that is left for that niche is Hardware, which works for me.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Lockpicking was removed. Locksmith still exists and is used to pick most locks. Hardware is generally used for a few rolls in conjunction with Locksmith.

ETA: Or, you can usually hack the device and use Control Device...

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 28 2014, 12:46 AM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 27 2014, 05:28 PM) *
Oh cool, I was just relaying the SR5 rules on it.

PS Cleaner is not a sustained CF, it's Permanent (so you only have to sustain it a few CTs). It should help you significantly if you're planning on doing a lot of hacking and are at all worried about convergence. While Static Veil is sustained, you only have to thread it at L1 (meaning you could take Focused Concentration 1 and sustain it without penalty).

ETA: I agree with what Jaid said about Decompiling. Since you don't have any ranks in Locksmith, I'm not sure if Hardware would be all that useful for you either.

Yeah, there are a few CF's that are interesting, but I am not Aspected to sustain them, so I was steering away from them initially.

There IS a Lockpicking Skill in SR5 Skill list, but it is removed... Check the Errata. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Makes no Sense, I know, but there you go.

EDIT: Whoops... There is a Difference? Have to check my PDF...
Indeed - LOCKPICKING Skill is removed entirely, per the Errata. That was what I remembered reading.

Here is the Errata...

AGILITY SKILL LIST (P. 90)
“Herding” and “Lockpicking” should be removed from this list, as they are not skills in SR5.

Sadly, that leaves Locksmith/Hardware as the only other sources for getting through locks (Other than Hacking). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I say sad, because I originally had the Lockpicking Skill, but since it is not a Skill, I changed it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

EDIT AGAIN... Corrected to Locksmith, and re-added to Character... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Mar 28 2014, 12:55 AM
Post #11

Skillwire Savant

TJ, I know you hate Sr5, but you should really crack the book if you're going to argue. The errata directs you to the Agility Skill List on p. 90. Guess what skills are listed there? BOTH Lockpicking and Locksmith. The errata only directs you to remove one of the two, Lockpicking, because it doesn't exist. Locksmith still exists and the use of the skill is described in the security devices section.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 28 2014, 12:57 AM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 27 2014, 05:55 PM) *
TJ, I know you hate Sr5, but you should really crack the book if you're going to argue. The errata directs you to the Agility Skill List on p. 90. Guess what skills are listed there? BOTH Lockpicking and Locksmith. The errata only directs you to remove one of the two, Lockpicking, because it doesn't exist. Locksmith still exists and the use of the skill is described in the security devices section.

Yeah, Indeed, I missed it entirely. I blame my CGL Language Chip... Must re-read the relevant Locks sections to see if they reference Lockpicking or Locksmith. If it is Locksmith, I will have to re-add the skill BACK into the build somehow. .

Sheesh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

EDIT: Ahh Well... Locksmith it is... That sucks *sigh*
Will alter Initial Post to comply with Concept. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Awesome... Thanks Jack VII - Nothing like looking the fool to make me pay a bit MORE attention to what I read. I also downloaded a new CGL Language Chip - Hopefully that will help.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Mar 28 2014, 01:10 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

You're built for gathering intelligence but you own zero drones, cameras, or sensor systems? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Get a Sensor Housing in the size of your choice, then stuff a Sensor Array in it.

Pick whichever eight sensor functions you like best to put in it, but definitely take the really useful stuff - a MAD scanner to help know if other folks are packing heat or 'ware; directional microphone and laser microphone for discrete eavesdropping; ultrasound for obvious reasons; olfactory sensor to tap into the wealth of information available from smells; radio signal scanner to physically locate wireless devices within 20m; those sorts of things. If you don't have a camera or ordinary omni-directional microphone in any of your other gear, they are also available as sensor functions.

For a lot of these sensors, Rating isn't actually important at all. The ones where it does matter are the Cyberware Scanner, the MAD Scanner, and the Radio Signal Scanner. The Cyberware Scanner isn't going to be terribly useful at ultra low ratings so you might want to skip that, but a MAD scanner only needs 1 hit to detect the presence of ferrous metals, so it can operate at Rating 2 or 3 and still work fine a lot of the time. As for the Radio Signal Scanner, it can prove somewhat useful despite the [Rating] Limit imposed on your Electronic Warfare test - even reaching the Limit with a mere 2 or 3 hits can be enough to detect lower rating devices that aren't being actively protected.

If you don't care much about the Cyberware Scanner or the Radio Signal Scanner, then get all the rest of the features at Rating 2 in an RFID sized Housing and conceal it somewhere on your person. Then enjoy the benefits of a full sensor suite, allowing you to see more, hear more, smell more, and even record it all for later playback. (Yes, you can play back smells. Potentially gross, but also useful.)

~Umi

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 28 2014, 01:18 AM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Umidori @ Mar 27 2014, 06:10 PM) *
You're built for gathering intelligence but you own zero drones, cameras, or sensor systems? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Get a Sensor Housing in the size of your choice, then stuff a Sensor Array in it.

Pick whichever eight sensor functions you like best to put in it, but definitely take the really useful stuff - a MAD scanner to help know if other folks are packing heat or 'ware; directional microphone and laser microphone for discrete eavesdropping; ultrasound for obvious reasons; olfactory sensor to tap into the wealth of information available from smells; radio signal scanner to physically locate wireless devices within 20m. If you don't have a camera or ordinary omni-directional microphone in any of your other gear, they are also available as sensor functions.

For a lot of these sensors, Rating isn't actually important at all. The ones where it does matter are the Cyberware Scanner, the MAD Scanner, and the Radio Signal Scanner. The Cyberware Scanner isn't going to be terribly useful at ultra low ratings so you might want to skip that, but a MAD scanner only needs 1 hit to detect the presence of ferrous metals, so it can operate at Rating 2 or 3 and still work fine a lot of the time. As for the Radio Signal Scanner, itcan prove somewhat useful despite the [Rating] Limit imposed on your Electronic Warfare test - even reaching them Limit with a mere 2 or 3 hits can be enough to detect lower rating devices that aren't being actively protected.

If you don't care much about the Cyberware Scanner or the Radio Signal Scanner, then get all the rest of the features at Rating 2 in an RFID sized Housing and conceal it somewhere on your person. Then enjoy the benefits of a full sensor suite, allowing you to see more, hear more, smell more, and even record it all for later playback. (Yes, you can play back smells. Potentially gross, but also useful.)

~Umi

Hmmmmm...
I do usually pick up some sensors, but was not sure where I wanted to go with that. But I did not think an RFID Sensor Tag could actually hold a Sensor Array, which is what I originally was looking at. I don't think an RFID will hold an Array, will it? I did consider several RFID Sensor Tags with a Sensor in each one, which is not too expensive. I did stay away from Drones, though, as I was not looking to get into that area just yet. Works out well, since I need a Submersion to actually jump into one, so no need to hurry on that one. Will have to revisit the Sensor Idea again, it looks like.

Thanks Umidori. Gave me something else to think about. Not a Glaring Hole, but a hole nonetheless.

Edit: Added 10 RFID Camera (Rating 2) Tags

+Quote Post
Sponge
post Mar 28 2014, 01:29 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,097

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 27 2014, 07:46 PM) *
Sadly, that leaves Locksmith/Hardware as the only other sources for getting through locks (Other than Hacking). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Actually in 5th, Locksmith covers electronic locks as well - Hardware is purely a build/repair skill. I realize you're getting Hardware in Electronics anyway, but I just thought I'd point it out.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 28 2014, 01:34 AM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Sponge @ Mar 27 2014, 06:29 PM) *
Actually in 5th, Locksmith covers electronic locks as well - Hardware is purely a build/repair skill. I realize you're getting Hardware in Electronics anyway, but I just thought I'd point it out.

*sigh* Yeah, there you go. Sad but true.
At least Hardware will let me build my Sensors and other electronic hardware. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Mar 28 2014, 01:38 AM
Post #17

Skillwire Savant

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 27 2014, 07:18 PM) *
But I did not think an RFID Sensor Tag could actually hold a Sensor Array, which is what I originally was looking at. I don't think an RFID will hold an Array, will it?

Nope you're correct, RFIDs only hold single sensors. Arrays (per the sensor table) normally require a wall-mounted unit but you can somehow fit one into a microdrone, so who knows...

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 28 2014, 01:42 AM
Post #18

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 27 2014, 06:38 PM) *
Nope you're correct, RFIDs only hold single sensors. Arrays (per the sensor table) normally require a wall-mounted unit but you can somehow fit one into a microdrone, so who knows...

What I was thinking, but no worry. I did add 10 RFID Camera Tags.
Sadly, Running out of Funds.

Still not sure if I should reduce Her Strength to a 2. Was considering it, but it does not feel right to me. What do you think?

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Mar 28 2014, 01:44 AM
Post #19

Runner

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 27 2014, 07:18 PM) *
I don't think an RFID will hold an Array, will it?

It would seem you are correct.

I was remembering a recent character I built for a PbP game who had cybereyes and cyberears, and I had used the Capacity of those to fit a Sensor Array at Rating 2. Since the Sensor Housing table lists RFIDs and Headware as both maxing at Rating 2, I suppose I just sillily assumed if it could fit in headware, it would fit in an RFID. Which upon reflexion is obviously absurd, as I went with Rating 3 cybereyes in order to have the Capacity to fit the array as well as various ordinary visual aides.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Mar 28 2014, 01:46 AM
Post #20

Runner

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 27 2014, 07:42 PM) *
What I was thinking, but no worry. I did add 10 RFID Camera Tags.
Sadly, Running out of Funds.

Still not sure if I should reduce Her Strength to a 2. Was considering it, but it does not feel right to me. What do you think?

I dunno - does the character concept have any particular reason to be physically strong? Or rather, a reason to not be slightly physically weak?

A strength of 3 might be "average", but 2 is by no means unreasonable for a character who mostly works with electronics and isn't terribly physically active. Heck, I'd probably be a 2 in Strength myself, even if I'm a 3 or 4 in Body, since I'm a big person with a decent pain tolerance but I don't exactly work out and I'm not athletic.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 28 2014, 01:47 AM
Post #21

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Umidori @ Mar 27 2014, 06:44 PM) *
It would seem you are correct.

I was remembering a recent character I built for a PbP game who had cybereyes and cyberears, and I had used the Capacity of those to fit a Sensor Array at Rating 2. Since the Sensor Housing table lists RFIDs and Headware as both maxing at Rating 2, I suppose I just sillily assumed if it could fit in headware, it would fit in an RFID. Which upon reflexion is obviously absurd, as I went with Rating 3 cybereyes in order to have the Capacity to fit the array as well as various ordinary visual aides.

~Umi

No worries - You pointed out to me that I had a hole in my concept, so it all worked out in the end. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 28 2014, 01:49 AM
Post #22

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Umidori @ Mar 27 2014, 06:46 PM) *
I dunno - does the character concept have any particular reason to be physically strong? Or rather, a reason to not be slightly physically weak?

A strength of 3 might be "average", but 2 is by no means unreasonable for a character who mostly works with electronics and isn't terribly physically active. Heck, I'd probably be a 2 in Strength myself, even if I'm a 3 or 4 in Body, since I'm a big person with a decent pain tolerance but I don't exactly work out and I'm not athletic.

~Umi

Yeah, I just don't know. I get where you are coming from, to be sure. I have been waffling on that topic. I like the 3, but it really serves no inherent purpose, to be sure, and the extra point could definitely go into Agility. Since I picked up some Shock Gloves, the strength is of no absolute necessity, and the Agility could use the love... Losing it won't change the Physical Limit at all, as it will still stay a 4... My wife thinks I should put the moved point into her Logic or Intuition (2 More Knowledge Skill Points, Better Living Persona)... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Mar 28 2014, 02:19 AM
Post #23

Skillwire Savant

I don't think you need the 3 in STR, particularly if the physical limit isn't going to change. I'd put it into Willpower, Logic, or Intuition, Positives for all of them, TBH.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 28 2014, 02:23 AM
Post #24

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 27 2014, 08:19 PM) *
I don't think you need the 3 in STR, particularly if the physical limit isn't going to change. I'd put it into Willpower, Logic, or Intuition, Positives for all of them, TBH.

Yeah I have to agree with you and my wife....
Just updated the OP... Went with a 6 Logic, which improved a few knowledge Skills, Raised the Mental Limit to 7, and improved LP Data Processing to 6. Seems like a good tradeoff in the end.

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Mar 28 2014, 02:33 AM
Post #25

Skillwire Savant

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 27 2014, 09:23 PM) *
Yeah I have to agree with you and my wife....
Just updated the OP... Went with a 6 Logic, which improved a few knowledge Skills, Raised the Mental Limit to 7, and improved LP Data Processing to 6. Seems like a good tradeoff in the end.

Not that you're focusing much on it, but it also (according to the errata assuming it overwrites the current rule) increases the number of sprites you can have registered and also raises the number of CFs you can know (capped at Logic per a table in the Chargen section).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:37 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.