Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magical Girl Design, Not sure how to handle this
Moonstone Spider
post May 4 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,834

Just for giggles (And possible use as an odd NPC) I'm trying to put together a magical girl character. Unfortunately I've run into a problem or two.

Powers are Free Fall, Great Leap, magic sense, imrpoved senses, and some sort of combat skills all geased to the Magical Girl using some crappy-looking costume jewelry as a fetish. But figuring out a reasonable combat power is being a problem.

A magical girl should have some sort of energy bolt of magic zap to use. I was planning on a physad for her powers, but no physad power fits the bill. There's Distance Strike but a magical girl shouldn't have insanely high melee combat skills, and geasing improved melee combat to "Only when distance striking" seems idiotic to me, plus I'd still have to have regular melee combat skills. I could go Magician's Path but I really don't want to if I can come up with another canon option. I also won't be taking any firearm skills because a magical girl with an uzi just doesn't seem to work. I'm starting to think I just can't make a magical girl who will stay alive 10 minutes on a run, style notwithstanding.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zazen
post May 4 2004, 09:58 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

I'm guessing this is a TV show or a movie or something? Anime?

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 4 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Make her a mage or sorcerer. That'll solve your problems pretty fast.

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post May 4 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

@Zazen: Magical Girls are their own genre of bad, usually anime, fiction. They typically are high-school age girls who have some locket, pendant, wand, etc. that grants them magical powers. Typically this is not spell-type magic but the ability to transform their clothing (Often mysteriously becoming naked during the transformation), act athletic (sometimes) and dish out a single magical attack of some sort that always kills the bad guy (As I said, it's generally bad fiction).

Staples of Magical Girldom are:

1) Talking Cats, Dogs, Birds, or some other spirit-guide. This can be handled as a free-spirit contact, presumably a trickster taking advantage of some naive fool in the SR universe.

2) Bad costume Jewelry: Magical girls tend to wear hideously ugly brooches, tiaras, bracelets, earrings, etc, each of which grants magical powers.

3) The Monologue: Magical Girls invariable give a 10-minute speech about their cause or whatever before attacking. I'd add this as a second geas but I need to use up my Geasa on Costume Jewelry.

+Quote Post
White Knight
post May 4 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 195

QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
A magical girl should have some sort of energy bolt of magic zap to use.  I was planning on a physad for her powers, but no physad power fits the bill.

You could try the Knack power from Talon Studio: Magic in the Shadows Miscellany. It allows an adept to use a single spell as an adept power, rather like the way some Critter powers work. Pick as appropriate from the Combat or Elemental Manipulations list and you should be good to go.

While I would normally not recommend using powers found on the internet, this is from Steve "I wrote the book" Kenson's web page so I'd count them as semi-official, if untested, rules. (Rather like 'Deleted Scenes' from MitS).

I won't ask why you want to have a Magical Girl. You can claim it's "just for giggles" if you want but I suspect that only deep seated psychological issues could possibly be real reason for considering this. ;)

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 4 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

Killing Hands and/or Distance Strike would be a more canonical way of handling it. You're totally free to describe a Distance Strike attack as a ball of flame, a bolt of lightning, a pair of tiger claws shooting from your wrists, butterflies shooting out of your mouth at bitchslapping your opponent with their wings, or an invisible burst of kinetic energy. Regardless of how it's described, it still has the same net result, but it does fit the bill. :)

+Quote Post
Shadow
post May 4 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #7

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

That sounds like all anime I have ever seen Moonstone.

She could be a phys-ad magician. You know path of the magi.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post May 4 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

QUOTE (Shadow @ May 4 2004, 06:13 PM)

I'm sorry. Theres much better anime out there, and its not even hard to find.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post May 4 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Shadow)

Haven't seen much anime, or just a lot of the worst series? :)

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 5 2004, 01:01 AM
Post #10

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Either Sorcery adept, full mage, or physmage would work for you. Pure adept doesn't fit as nicely.

A Sorcery adept could either have quickening, or a ton of sustaining foci. She's apt to need a Talisman geas anyways, so it's not a big deal. The same is true for full mage, but also allows you to summon taking animal spirits. (I'd suggest Coyote or Raccoon shaman-- both those totems are apt to get the joke.) Physmage allows you access to the widest array of powers, but is weakest overall.

Shadow: Not all anime is like that. Star Blazers, for one, you may be familiar with and isn't "magical girl" crapola. The classic example of "magical girl" anime is Sailor Moon; if you want to get the idea, watch as many episodes as you can before your head explodes.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 5 2004, 01:08 AM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

It's also worthy of note that most American voice actors are horrible. There's a big difference between dubs and subs. Even Sailor Moon is watchable in the original (okay, more watchable) langauge with subtitles.

For truely good Anime, watch Berserk. If you like the basic martial arts style, there are a lot of options, though I like Recca no Honno pretty well. Some of the characters from either make good physads.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 5 2004, 01:12 AM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Shoujo Kakumei Utena is a good example of how close you can get to Magical Girl and still be good.

~J

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post May 5 2004, 01:29 AM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
It's also worthy of note that most American voice actors are horrible. There's a big difference between dubs and subs. Even Sailor Moon is watchable in the original (okay, more watchable) langauge with subtitles.

For truely good Anime, watch Berserk. If you like the basic martial arts style, there are a lot of options, though I like Recca no Honno pretty well. Some of the characters from either make good physads.

Damn, though - I *really* hated the ending of Berzerk. Otherwise, great stuff.

+Quote Post
danbot37
post May 5 2004, 01:34 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,137

the series was more like a pre-quel to the manga, so it had to end that way. (at least thats how I understand it) But thats where he got his bad ass hand cannon and repeater cross bow from the first episode, so ya know.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 5 2004, 01:39 AM
Post #15

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Check Toonami on Saturday night, or just late night 11 to 3 or 4 (ignore OTHF). Some decent anime, some lousy.

Back tothe 'magic girl' genre, I'd also suggest some mystic armor power sense these characters seem to be able to shrug off anything shy of a tactical nuke. as far as physical damage goes.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post May 5 2004, 01:46 AM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (danbot37)
the series was more like a pre-quel to the manga, so it had to end that way. (at least thats how I understand it) But thats where he got his bad ass hand cannon and repeater cross bow from the first episode, so ya know.

Oh I know. It's still annoying.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post May 5 2004, 04:19 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

QUOTE (Moonstone Spider @ May 4 2004, 05:16 PM)
Staples of Magical Girldom are:

1) Talking Cats, Dogs, Birds, or some other spirit-guide.  This can be handled as a free-spirit contact, presumably a trickster taking advantage of some naive fool in the SR universe.

2) Bad costume Jewelry: Magical girls tend to wear hideously ugly brooches, tiaras, bracelets, earrings, etc, each of which grants magical powers.

3) The Monologue: Magical Girls invariable give a 10-minute speech about their cause or whatever before attacking.  I'd add this as a second geas but I need to use up my Geasa on Costume Jewelry.

Oh, ok. That's Sailor Moon right there. I saw an episode or two of that.

Thanks for the low-down.

+Quote Post
Firewall
post May 5 2004, 08:24 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,125

I came across a magic-girl parody a couple of months back, though I am not sure just how serious magic-girl is supposed to be anyway. But, I think it sums up what it is while still mocking it...

http://www.sgvy.com/

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post May 5 2004, 08:34 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

QUOTE (Zazen)
3) The Monologue: Magical Girls invariable give a 10-minute speech about their cause or whatever before attacking.  I'd add this as a second geas but I need to use up my Geasa on Costume Jewelry.

More like 10 to 20 seconds, and yes, I've watched it a bit.

+Quote Post
Thistledown
post May 5 2004, 08:41 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,155

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)

Some dubs are getting better though. Fruits Basket and Azumanga Daioh both have good dubs, and a few others I can't think of the names to right now.

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post May 5 2004, 08:45 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

QUOTE (Firewall)
I came across a magic-girl parody a couple of months back, though I am not sure just how serious magic-girl is supposed to be anyway. But, I think it sums up what it is while still mocking it...

http://www.sgvy.com/

Grade-AAA props for telling us that site! :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 5 2004, 09:46 AM
Post #22

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Or, for yet another completely different take on the magical girl genre...

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post May 5 2004, 12:05 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Well here's at least a first-draft for my Magical Girl. Although I did giggle plenty while writing it, now I actually want to play her, I guess something is wrong with me. I'll have to wait until somebody in Dumpshock starts a humor-theme PbP I guess.

@Firewall: That's a hilarious comic. Thanks.

Magical Amazing Pretty Princess Makoto (MAPPM for short)
Makoto's (Real name May) not sure who she is or who her parents were. She's been an orphan as long as she can remember. Bounced from one overworked under-funded orphanage to the next, she managed to escape any and all magical searches by the corps, but not a search by the mysterious Spirit Kawai Neko Genki. Claiming to be an Animus (Everybody else suspects he's a trickster). Neko discovered an abandoned subway car with thousands of ancient comic books inside, which he introduced Makoto too. Obsessed with magical Girls, Makoto studied the comic books, and in a twist even the crazy spirit couldn't predict, managed to build a hermetic library out of them and start using real magic based on the comics. Makoto is convinced there's some great evil threatening to invade Earth from another dimension, or maybe space, or actually it might be a conspiracy (She's still working out the details) and she has to prepare to battle it and save the world! Also she's broke. But still! It's time to Save the World!
Makoto is a real idiot savant. Incredibly intelligent, she's also very naive. Dressed in some old Securetech armor she long since Fashioned into a mass of ribbons and form-fitting lacy-looking body armor festooned with bits of costume jewelry used as Fetishes, Makoto is actually useful on a Shadowrun mainly for her ability to provide excellent spell defense, often augmented with her "Magical Anti-Evil Field of Love and Happiness" (Magic Static Spell). Surprisingly, she's also intimidating as heck to others, apparently many people are afraid of someone who's obviously packing lots of magic and also certifiably insane. She's trying to get together the Nuyen to purchase an enchanting shop to add to her subway car so she can start building magical weapons to fight against all evil. Also she could use some more comic books, she's read through just about all of these.

Edges: Daredevil
Focused Concentration
Extra Contact
Flaws: Distinctive Style
Phobia, Uncommon, Extreme: Adult Fan Fiction (Do you know what they DO to Magical Girls in those things?)

Attributes: (60)
Body: 4
Quickness: 6
Strength: 2
Charisma: 6
Intelligence: 6
Willpower: 6
Essence: 6
Magic: 6
Reaction: 8
Initiative: 2d6

Combat Pool: 9
Spell Pool: 6
Karma Pool: 1(2)
Total Armor: 7/4
Active Skills: 
Skill
Level
Sorcery 6
Conjuring 6
Enchanting 6
Athletics 4
Etiquette 6
Intimidation 6

Knowledge Skills
Comic Books 6
Geology 6
Talismongering 6
Safehouses 6
Spirits 6
Magical Threats 6
Paranormal Animals 3

Magic: Physad/Wujen (30)
Magic Power 4 (Geas: Incantation)
Freefall 4 (Gease: Fetish)
Improved Reflexes 1
Improved Sense: Thermographic Vision

Spells: (All Fetish Limited For Drain)
Nova 4
Laser 4
Armor 4
Transform 4
Heal(Exclusive) 4
Fashion(Exclusive) 4
Mana Static 4

Gear (0pts,5,000Y)
Healing Fetish
Manipulation Fetish
Secure Jacket
5/3
Secure Long-Coat
4/2
Rating 1 Hermetic Library
Herbals x4
Silver
Crystals x3
Squatter Lifestyle, 1mo

Contacts (All L1):
Kawai Neko Genki
Free Spirit
Talismonger and Advisor on Magical Girl Matters

Lowboy
Ork
Street Waif, source of Street-Level Information

Barry Merche
Human
Fixer

+Quote Post
FXcalibur
post May 5 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,206

Phobia, Uncommon, Extreme: Adult Fan Fiction (Do you know what they DO to Magical Girls in those things?)

:rotfl:

But wait, no pulling rocket launcher/minigun out from behind skirt? It may not be magical girl specific, but it IS anime, and would complement the magical girl concept rather well :)

Unless I'm confusing magical girl with gunbunny girl.

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post May 5 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Naw, Catgirls and Tomboys typically manage to carry around miniguns (Didn't All-Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku have the minigun in a backpack?). Magical girls don't use guns at all (though some of them mysteriously pilot mecha), they just use the power of love and friendship to blow monsters away.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.