> Troll Shotgun.
FuelDrop
post Apr 7 2014, 01:33 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

Here are the ingredients:
1) A very heavy steel pipe, sealed at one end and reinforced there too. Hand grip welded to one side.
2) Frag grenade.
3) Troll.

The troll drops the hand grenade into the pipe, points the open end at the target, and activates it wirelessly. BOOM! That, my friends, is the troll shotgun.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Apr 7 2014, 01:43 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

"Detective Sands."
"Detective Rogers."
"So what have we got?"
"Troll male, mid 20s, a whole lot of shrapnel wounds. Looks like an IED that went wrong. We're still looking for the other half of his face."

~Umi

+Quote Post
thorya
post Apr 7 2014, 01:46 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 39,030

1) large steel pipe
2) one troll with no common sense
3) grenade

Boom! no fingers!

Seriously though, there's a reason the sort of high explosives used in grenades are not used for propellant. And even if your pipe contraption held together, the amount and velocity of the shrapnel flying out isn't going to be drastically bigger than if the troll had just used a 12 gauge.

There's already a troll shotgun, it's called a 4 bore.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Apr 7 2014, 01:48 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Still going to try and sell the idea to our group's troll. He'll probably bite, then shenanigans ensue...
Should be laughing all the way to the emergency ward.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Apr 7 2014, 01:56 AM
Post #5

Runner

QUOTE (thorya @ Apr 6 2014, 06:46 PM) *

Nah, not quite. If you went with a 4 Gauge / 4 Bore it'd look like this.

For a proper Troll, I'd go with at least a 2 Gauge / 2 Bore punt gun, like this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

~Umi

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Apr 7 2014, 02:04 AM
Post #6

Runner

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Apr 6 2014, 06:48 PM) *
Still going to try and sell the idea to our group's troll. He'll probably bite, then shenanigans ensue...
Should be laughing all the way to the emergency ward.

To be fair, I'm totally stealing this for gangbanger usage. I have this plan of having the biggest fragging Troll the Runners have ever seen corner them in an alley with this deathtrap, make a big show of successfully firing off a "round" and shredding the alleyway to pieces, and then assuming the Runners haven't downed him by the second pass, having the contraption explode and take his head off on the second shot.

~Umi

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Apr 7 2014, 02:17 AM
Post #7

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

I thought a troll shotgun was fist mounted claymore mines?

-k

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Apr 7 2014, 02:32 AM
Post #8

Runner

See, those are at least shaped charges, but unfortunately for psycho Trolls everywhere, their casings don't stay intact during the blast, and there is substantial damage to the area behind them as well as in front. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

~Umi

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Apr 7 2014, 02:35 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

I'd suggest burying the bomb end of the contraption in the ground and using the 'shotgun' as a booby trap... but I'm scared that might actually work, so it's not on my list of things to do.
Style over survival!

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Apr 7 2014, 02:43 AM
Post #10

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 6 2014, 09:32 PM) *
See, those are at least shaped charges, but unfortunately for psycho Trolls everywhere, their casings don't stay intact during the blast, and there is substantial damage to the area behind them as well as in front. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

~Umi

I had a troll with a forehead mounted plate that read "FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY".

Nobody was apparantly willing to take him up on his offer to show them if it really worked.

-k

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Apr 7 2014, 02:55 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 7 2014, 10:43 AM) *

Nobody was apparantly willing to take him up on his offer to show them if it really worked.

-k

In much the same way no-one wanted to check if the nuke you have slaved to your biomonitor is a dud?

+Quote Post
Cain
post Apr 7 2014, 06:06 AM
Post #12

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 6 2014, 06:43 PM) *

I had a troll like that too. Only in his case, it was strapped to his chest.

This was also the troll that pulled off the "Newton's Cradle" maneuver. The chunky salsa rules are predicated on the idea that a sufficiently durable object will cause explosions to bounce off of them. We realized that if a sufficiently durable troll were next to a sufficiently durable wall, a blast would pass through him, hit the wall, rebound, and pass back through him with minimal harm. That's how a Newton's Cradle works in real life, after all.

So, the maneuver that developed worked like this: The troll grappled a target, and put his back against a wall. Then, he grabbed for a grenade on his belt, and pulled the pin. The troll took some of the blast, but the target got an immediate rebound, and became instant chunky salsa. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Apr 7 2014, 06:07 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Apr 6 2014, 08:33 PM) *
1) A very heavy steel pipe, sealed at one end and reinforced there too. Hand grip welded to one side.
2) Frag grenade.
3) Troll.

The troll drops the hand grenade into the pipe, points the open end at the target, and activates it wirelessly. BOOM! That, my friends, is the troll shotgun.

Ahh.. I am a bit disappointed as I was expecting a weapon that would use Troll as the bullet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Like a custom riot shotgun built for a dragon or similar.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Apr 7 2014, 06:16 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Apr 7 2014, 02:07 PM) *
Ahh.. I am a bit disappointed as I was expecting a weapon that would use Troll as the bullet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Like a custom riot shotgun built for a dragon or similar.

I'll see what I can whip up.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Apr 7 2014, 07:10 AM
Post #15

Runner

QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 7 2014, 12:06 AM) *
I had a troll like that too. Only in his case, it was strapped to his chest.

This was also the troll that pulled off the "Newton's Cradle" maneuver. The chunky salsa rules are predicated on the idea that a sufficiently durable object will cause explosions to bounce off of them. We realized that if a sufficiently durable troll were next to a sufficiently durable wall, a blast would pass through him, hit the wall, rebound, and pass back through him with minimal harm. That's how a Newton's Cradle works in real life, after all.

So, the maneuver that developed worked like this: The troll grappled a target, and put his back against a wall. Then, he grabbed for a grenade on his belt, and pulled the pin. The troll took some of the blast, but the target got an immediate rebound, and became instant chunky salsa. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

There is so very much wrong with the physics of this. I think I need to go lie down and think about my life.

~Umi

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Apr 7 2014, 07:14 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 7 2014, 03:10 PM) *
There is so very much wrong with the physics of this. I think I need to go lie down and think about my life.

~Umi

Please! We're shadowrunners, we make physics our bitch on a daily basis!

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Apr 7 2014, 07:22 AM
Post #17

Runner

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Apr 7 2014, 01:14 AM) *
Please! We're shadowrunners, we make physics our bitch on a daily basis!

If we're going to go with that particular analogy, I'd like to point out there's a world of difference between engaging in light bondage with physics, and shoving an entire live goat up physics' colon using a pneumatic speargun.

~Umi

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Apr 7 2014, 07:49 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 7 2014, 03:22 PM) *
If we're going to go with that particular analogy, I'd like to point out there's a world of difference between engaging in light bondage with physics, and shoving an entire live goat up physics' colon using a pneumatic speargun.

~Umi

Yeah, but leaving my evening's activities aside for a moment, I don't think this troll is more physically impossible than the stunts spirits and mages pull on a daily basis. If the troll is 'sufficiently hard' due to magic then I don't see why physics would have any say in the proceedings.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Apr 7 2014, 09:23 AM
Post #19

Runner

I just don't think you're understanding the problem of distributing the amount of energy we're talking about through the troll.

I mean, this idea could maybe be something approaching reasonable if the goal was for the energy to just be deflected outright, the way it is when it hits a "sufficiently durable" wall and bounces off - if the you somehow magically gave the troll an effective Barrior Rating (via some absurdly powerful Reinforce spell or something) to match the wall he was standing against, the explosion would simply treat the troll as just another part of the wall that's jutting out a bit from the rest.

But to pass through the troll, bounce off the wall, and then go through the troll again? That're where things get messy. (Pun intended.)

The reason that the shockwave from an explosion is deadly is that it while it travels through your body, it disrupts your tissues. Ever watch high speed footage of people getting punched in the face or the stomache?

Yeah, that Jello jiggling you see going on with the flesh in those videos? Explosions do that, but literally thousands of times worse. Which is why people end up anywhere from shredded to atomized, depending on the situation.

Now, if your flesh is somehow sturdy enough to withstand that sort of shockwave, it's not going to jiggle - it's just going to deflect the energy outright at the surface. And if your flesh isn't sturdy enough, the shockwave is going to go through your flesh and rip it apart on a molecular level. But to have all that force transfer through the space your flesh is occupying twice without causing harm, you're going to need a wormhole or something.

(...which technically isn't entirely out of the question - see the Invisibility spell bending light around things - but then we're not talking magical sturdiness anymore, but rather magical energy redirection).

~Umi

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Apr 7 2014, 09:58 AM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

Wouldn't it just be easier and smarter (relatively speaking) for the troll to pin the target between himself and the wall, popping the grenade off then?

Blast hits troll, but with sufficient reinforcement we could have it rebound onto the target.

Blast hits target, blowing through and rebounding off wall for a second taste.

Or maybe I am misthinking this image.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Apr 7 2014, 10:54 AM
Post #21

Grand Master of Run-Fu

QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 7 2014, 02:23 AM) *
I mean, this idea could maybe be something approaching reasonable if the goal was for the energy to just be deflected outright, the way it is when it hits a "sufficiently durable" wall and bounces off - if the you somehow magically gave the troll an effective Barrior Rating (via some absurdly powerful Reinforce spell or something) to match the wall he was standing against, the explosion would simply treat the troll as just another part of the wall that's jutting out a bit from the rest.

But to pass through the troll, bounce off the wall, and then go through the troll again? That're where things get messy. (Pun intended.)

A troll with maxed-out body, disgusting levels of armor, and titanium bone lacing *does* effectively have a Barrier rating. So yeah, the explosion could bounce off the troll, and rebound onto hapless victim, causing instant chunky salsa. Said troll would take damage-- or rather, need to make a soak roll-- but that's not likely to be a problem.

Wouldn't it just be easier and smarter (relatively speaking) for the troll to pin the target between himself and the wall, popping the grenade off then?

With his back to the wall, the troll can't suffer knockback or knockdown. Under your scenario, if the troll falls down, some of the chunky salsa effect is lost.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Apr 7 2014, 11:18 AM
Post #22

Runner

QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 7 2014, 03:54 AM) *
A troll with maxed-out body, disgusting levels of armor, and titanium bone lacing *does* effectively have a Barrier rating. So yeah, the explosion could bounce off the troll, and rebound onto hapless victim, causing instant chunky salsa. Said troll would take damage-- or rather, need to make a soak roll-- but that's not likely to be a problem.

Technically, no they don't effectively have a Barrier Rating - both speaking in game terms, and speaking in terms of realism.

Realistically speaking, no matter how tough of a mofo you are, you aren't a solid crystalline object like a concrete wall. Flesh just isn't rigid enough to withstand an explosion and deflect it. (Except for maybe - maybe - the flesh of an Obsidiman / Granite Shell changeling.) I could maybe see individual armor plates withstanding the explosion, but the problem with a shockwave is it finds its way around obstacles like those and into the cracks between them, taking the path of least resistance right into your supple flesh.

Mechanically speaking, your Body Rating isn't a measure of your Structural Integrity, it's a measure of your resiliance and health and whatnot. A big ol' troll with maxed out body can take a lot of punishment, but their body does so by spreading the force out and absorbing it, or by having a strong enough immune system to counteract the effects of diseases or toxins, or by just being tenacious enough and having enough blood to power through minor inconveniences like a punctured aorta.

More importantly, however, only inanimate objects have Structure Ratings. If you don't have a Structure Rating, you can't deflect an explosion - it's that simple. I could see arguing for a really sturdy armored plate deflecting a portion of the blast, but that's represented by the dice you get to help you resist the damage of the shockwave. Heck, if you have fully enclosed Milspec armor, I'd say that can deflect an explosion - but that's only because it's Hardened Armor, which essentially operates like a Barrier, in that if the damage doesn't exceed the armor, nothing happens, and if it does it blows through despite the armor.

A really large Soak Pool is not the same as a Barrier Rating. If you have enough Body and Armor on you to reduce the damage you would take to zero, you don't deflect the blast, you absorb it.

QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 7 2014, 03:54 AM) *
With his back to the wall, the troll can't suffer knockback or knockdown. Under your scenario, if the troll falls down, some of the chunky salsa effect is lost.

Hate to say it, but that's a load of munchkiny bullshit.

Merely having your back to a wall doesn't prevent knockdown in a situation where you otherwise would be on your ass. If you take the appropriate amount of damage to be Knocked Down (or suffer the effect via any other method), then you are knocked down - end of story.

If you really need rationale as to how exactly this could happen, I can easily come up with various ways. The force of the blast lifts you up off the ground and you slam into the roof, then tumble to the floor. The blast hits you off center and knocks you off to one side, throwing you violently to the ground. The blast hits you full force and stuns and disorients you, making it impossible to keep your balance as all your muscles lock up in reflexive shock and you crumple into a heap.

Et cetera.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 7 2014, 02:26 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 6 2014, 08:56 PM) *
For a proper Troll, I'd go with at least a 2 Gauge / 2 Bore punt gun, like this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

They did not use a big enough target. Just sayin'

(Per explosions and physics: I am not wading into that mess)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 7 2014, 03:32 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (thorya @ Apr 6 2014, 07:46 PM) *

1) large steel pipe
2) one troll with no common sense
3) grenade

Boom! no fingers!

Seriously though, there's a reason the sort of high explosives used in grenades are not used for propellant. And even if your pipe contraption held together, the amount and velocity of the shrapnel flying out isn't going to be drastically bigger than if the troll had just used a 12 gauge.

I prefer a 2-Bore for my Troll. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Cain
post Apr 7 2014, 08:58 PM
Post #25

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Technically, no they don't effectively have a Barrier Rating - both speaking in game terms, and speaking in terms of realism.

I recall reading a rule in one of the editions, for using a metahuman body as a shield. You got a Barrier rating equal to their body. So, in this case, you kinda did get one, in game terms at least. Realism is different, of course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
More importantly, however, only inanimate objects have Structure Ratings. If you don't have a Structure Rating, you can't deflect an explosion - it's that simple.

That's actually not true. The chunky salsa rules for all editions only require that when the explosion hit something, that it not be destroyed by the blast. I don't think they even had structure ratings in SR1, when chunky salsa first came out. There's also the old trick of using a Physical barrier spell to contain an explosion on a hapless target; Barrier spells didn't get structure ratings either.

Hate to say it, but that's a load of munchkiny bullshit.

Merely having your back to a wall doesn't prevent knockdown in a situation where you otherwise would be on your ass. If you take the appropriate amount of damage to be Knocked Down (or suffer the effect via any other method), then you are knocked down - end of story.

It was just a load of silliness, showing that a troll could be more heavily reinforced than a structural wall. But IIRC, you couldn't suffer knockdown unless you suffered knockback, and if you had your back to a wall you couldn't suffer knockback. So, it's technically legal, although it is very silly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:57 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.