Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4A Parkour Adept
psychophipps
post Apr 18 2014, 12:26 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,613

Once I got to thinking about it in the Character Concept idea thread, I just couldn't let it go. He's open season, but please be respectful and let me know if you use him.

Character concept is a high-risk courier at the very beginning of his career. He could also be a general add-on to an existing team that might need some second-story work, a snatch and run guy, or some enhanced mobility once they grab the (hopefully small enough to fit into a backpack) goodies. He does 'running on the side because he likes the risks vs. reward ratio and like all 'runners, he's just a smidgen crazy. Part-time stunt man by day with a side project of a series of moderately successful Street Parkour Trids out there done with a combination of POV and external angles. Exactly 400 points, zero karma, and ready for action.

As a side note, my games don't allow extra IP (because they be Ba-Roken!) and the concept is to <insert random attack type here> and MOVE YOUR ASS so I didn't really find them necessary even if your game does allow them. Just to (hopefully) keep the inevitable "WTF?!? No extra IP?!?" from surfacing.

Fiddleback - 4thA Orc Parkour Adept

B - 7 [30] A - 4(5) [30] R - 4(5) [30] S - 6 [30]
C - 3 [20] I - 4 [30] L - 2 [10] W - 3 [20]
Edge- 3 [20] Magic - 5 [40] Essence - 5.5

Qualities: Adept [5], Allergy: Mild - Soy [+10], Astral Chameleon [5], Day Job: Stuntman - 10hr/wk [+5], Fame: Local Parkour Artist [5], Metatype: Orc [20], SINner [+5]

Adept Abilities: Free Fall - 3 (.75), Great Leap - 2 (.5), Improved Ability: Gymnastics - 2 (.5), Improved Ability: Running (.5), Improved Physical Attribute: Agility - 1 (.75), Improved Physical Attribute: Reaction - 1 (.75), Improved Sense: Direction Sense (.25), Wall Running (1)

Contacts: Fixer - 3/2 [5], Agent - 1/4 [5]

Skill Groups: Athletics - 4 [40], Stealth - 3 [30]

Skills: Automatics (Machine Pistol) - 1(+2) [6], Etiquette (Street) - 2(+2) [10], Perception - 2 [8], Thrown Weapon (Grenade) - 1(+2) [6], Unarmed Combat (Lucha Libre) - 2(+2) [10]

Resources: 25k (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) [5]

Bio/Cyberware: Data Jack [500], Data Lock - Rating 6 [1600], Ear Recording Unit [500], Eye Recording Unit [2000], Skin Pocket [5000], Tooth Compartment [200]

Gear: Ares Crusader w/ Surefire External Smartlink/500-lumen Weaponlight combo and Suppressor [1750], Certified Credstick with 1500 [1525], Fake Sin - Rating 4 [4000], Flashbang x 4 [120], Folding Knife [20], Hot Smoke Grenade x 4 [140], Micro-transceiver: Rating 6 [1200], Motion Sensor [50], Ridiculously Tough Parkour Rucksack with plenty of pockets [70], ScottEVest Convertible Jacket (Jacket to Vest) with a gazillion pockets [75], Sleeping Bag [50], Sleeping Pad [50], Smartglasses w/ Flare Comp, Image Link, Smartlink, and Thermographic [750], Sony Emperor Commlink w/ Renraku Ichi [1300], Spare clip x 2 and Standard Ammunition [250], Urban Explorer Jumpsuit w/ Helmet 6/8, Front/Back mounted Flashpacks, Non-conductive 4, and Thermal Damping 4 [3750]

Low Lifestyle paid for by Day Job + Fame with 1000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) each month left over.

Loose Cash - 750 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 18 2014, 01:13 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Just so you are aware - Orc is not a Positive or Negative Quality. It is just a cost. So if you used Qualitiy points to purchase him, you still have that slot (20 points worth) available.

That said - I like him. A bit different than the one I statted, but definitely pretty cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Apr 18 2014, 01:47 AM
Post #3

Running Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 17 2014, 08:13 PM) *
Just so you are aware - Orc is not a Positive or Negative Quality. It is just a cost. So if you used Qualitiy points to purchase him, you still have that slot (20 points worth) available.

That said - I like him. A bit different than the one I statted, but definitely pretty cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I just tossed Metatype there because it was a handy place for it. I simply didn't have a mess of qualities to fit this character to worry about.

Thanks for the kudos and the feedback, sir. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

One thing that I have never had an issue with is that with beginning 'runners, I don't see the need to have 10+ dice (if not 12+) in their "other thing". That is what character development is for, after all. Having only 8 Infiltration dice is fine for now (hell, he can just run and jump the last 50 meters, right?), and I actually stopped myself from tossing Ruthenium on his armor to give him something to work towards if it proves necessary.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 18 2014, 02:09 AM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (psychophipps @ Apr 17 2014, 06:47 PM) *
I just tossed Metatype there because it was a handy place for it. I simply didn't have a mess of qualities to fit this character to worry about.

Thanks for the kudos and the feedback, sir. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

One thing that I have never had an issue with is that with beginning 'runners, I don't see the need to have 10+ dice (if not 12+) in their "other thing". That is what character development is for, after all. Having only 8 Infiltration dice is fine for now (hell, he can just run and jump the last 50 meters, right?), and I actually stopped myself from tossing Ruthenium on his armor to give him something to work towards if it proves necessary.

No worries...

And I heartily agree sir. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Apr 18 2014, 04:47 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

Your Char needs Skates or a Hoverboard (from the Rigger PDF !)
-Mild Soy Allergy could be tough
what about a mild Addiction to Betelgum ?
(but generally he looks good to me )

with a dance back to the Future
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Apr 18 2014, 07:20 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

..u buy magic 5 and adding Cyberware would drop magic to 4 (only 4 PP worth of adept powers)..and also max magic would drop also..

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Apr 18 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (Stingray @ Apr 18 2014, 01:20 AM) *
..u buy magic 5 and adding Cyberware would drop magic to 4 (only 4 PP worth of adept powers)..and also max magic would drop also..

I wasn't sure about the cyberware thing in 4th. Earlier editions had the "you're fine until you hit one full essence of loss" and I've always played that way over the years. Always liked the idea of that Combat Mage with cybereyes.

Cyberware doesn't make or break the character so reallocating the points/funds should be pretty simple.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Apr 18 2014, 01:17 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Apr 17 2014, 10:47 PM) *
Your Char needs Skates or a Hoverboard (from the Rigger PDF !)
what about a mild Addiction to Betelgum ?
(but generally he looks good to me )

Medicineman

If we're going full Marty, I say trade the Allergy for some form of Poor Self Control: Compulsive, or Poor Self Control: Vindictive.

"What's wrong, McFly? Chicken?!?"

~Umi

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 18 2014, 03:02 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Actually, none of that cyber/bio is necessary for the character. That'd free up some cash/BP on more central things (2 BP for a Spec, for example). Overall a good build, though.

Looks a lot like one I built, but my ork was SURGE'd for the satyr legs, celerity, and had roller blades.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 18 2014, 03:07 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 18 2014, 09:02 AM) *
Actually, none of that cyber/bio is necessary for the character. That'd free up some cash/BP on more central things (2 BP for a Spec, for example). Overall a good build, though.

Looks a lot like one I built, but my ork was SURGE'd for the satyr legs, celerity, and had roller blades.

Cyber/Bio is nice, though. I think mine had 2 Essence worth of Cyber/Bio and a remaining Magic of 3. But he was an interesting build.

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Apr 18 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #11

Skillwire Savant

Member No.: 88,139

Not going to lie, every time I see a parkour adept, I think of this...

Boost your Dodge dice!

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 18 2014, 05:05 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Jack VII @ Apr 18 2014, 09:46 AM) *
Not going to lie, every time I see a parkour adept, I think of this...

Boost your Dodge dice!

Heh... That is just awesome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Apr 19 2014, 02:54 AM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Apr 17 2014, 11:47 PM) *

Medicineman

There is a reason why even the "Mild" version is 10 points, my friend. Soykaf, Soyburgers, Soyshakes, Soypizza, Soylent Green...the list goes on and on...

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 20 2014, 06:37 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Soypokalypse.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Apr 20 2014, 06:49 PM
Post #15

Running Target

If it's bad enough for him to be at -2, imagine what everyone around him is dealing with...lol

+Quote Post
Rubic
post Apr 20 2014, 10:11 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 31,052

QUOTE (psychophipps @ Apr 18 2014, 09:54 PM) *
There is a reason why even the "Mild" version is 10 points, my friend. Soykaf, Soyburgers, Soyshakes, Soypizza, Soylent Green...the list goes on and on...

"How's the soylent cola?"
"Eh, it varies from person to person..."

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Apr 21 2014, 12:04 AM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (Rubic @ Apr 20 2014, 04:11 PM) *
"How's the soylent cola?"
"Eh, it varies from person to person..."

Thank you, sir. I was afraid that post might have gone over everyone's head.

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Apr 22 2014, 02:03 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

bioware could be useful, just not the ware you gave him. you only want things that give you +dice faster than they make you lose magic. for recording things, you can just get contacts after all.

enhanced articulation is +1 to physical skills (.3 essence), synthcardium r3 is +3 to athletics (.3 e), reflex recorder(athletics group, .2 e) and muscle augmentationr 1 (.2 e) for +1 strength. that gives you 1 essence for +6 dice to running/climbing, and then you can add your adept powers on top of those bonuses. needs at least 21 points in money to get all that though, but you could add another negative quality to help with that. if you could afford alphaware then you could get another rating of strength. if you add 15 points negative, tehn you would only need 1 more point free.

that would bring you up to 17 dice of running, climbing, or gymnastics, enough to be able to just buy 4 hits (a critical success).

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 22 2014, 04:15 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Muscle Aug and Muscle Toner would be better all around, as they help with Athletics things and are still useful for non-Athletics actions as well. A Reflex Recorder for Athletics or a lower rating Synthcardium would make all that fit inside 1 Essence also.

And yeah, just get a GoPro10.0 and enjoy not having Cyber also.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Apr 23 2014, 03:20 AM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Teulisch @ Apr 22 2014, 08:03 AM) *
bioware could be useful, just not the ware you gave him. you only want things that give you +dice faster than they make you lose magic. for recording things, you can just get contacts after all.

enhanced articulation is +1 to physical skills (.3 essence), synthcardium r3 is +3 to athletics (.3 e), reflex recorder(athletics group, .2 e) and muscle augmentationr 1 (.2 e) for +1 strength. that gives you 1 essence for +6 dice to running/climbing, and then you can add your adept powers on top of those bonuses. needs at least 21 points in money to get all that though, but you could add another negative quality to help with that. if you could afford alphaware then you could get another rating of strength. if you add 15 points negative, tehn you would only need 1 more point free.

that would bring you up to 17 dice of running, climbing, or gymnastics, enough to be able to just buy 4 hits (a critical success).

I was thinking of that stuff, but then I thought to myself, "Self, this guy needs a direction to go in for later. Why go bugfuck now when you can build him up later?" So basically, I kept him reeled in on purpose to make sure I had stuff to dump karma on later. At 24 karma (God willing), he's up to Gymnastics: Parkour 5(+2) and Running: Sprinting 5(+2) for +3 dice on each and the ridiculousness goes to a whole new level as he can count on a full extra success on a typical roll (+1 success for dodging, +1m distance straight up for wall running, and +2m/turn running twice).

+Quote Post
mister__joshua
post Apr 23 2014, 10:28 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 19,241

I haven't checked out the points, but would he benefit from the Athlete's Way Adept path?

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Apr 23 2014, 12:13 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

QUOTE (psychophipps @ Apr 22 2014, 11:20 PM) *
I was thinking of that stuff, but then I thought to myself, "Self, this guy needs a direction to go in for later. Why go bugfuck now when you can build him up later?" So basically, I kept him reeled in on purpose to make sure I had stuff to dump karma on later. At 24 karma (God willing), he's up to Gymnastics: Parkour 5(+2) and Running: Sprinting 5(+2) for +3 dice on each and the ridiculousness goes to a whole new level as he can count on a full extra success on a typical roll (+1 success for dodging, +1m distance straight up for wall running, and +2m/turn running twice).

well, if your going to lose magic anyway, you may as well make it worth it. also, you still have places to go later on- in fact, some of that ware makes it easier to advance. at skill 5, the reflex recorder raises it to 6 for a potential +3 from magic. adept allows for several awesome things biotech simply cannot do, but bioware add more dice to a point. the two have a nice synergy, and i could see an agent pushing for limited augmentation that wont show up on cyberware scanners. the biggest argument against a magical character getting ware is the magic loss from even 0.01 essence loss, but with adepts in many cases this can result in a net gain in effect.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 23 2014, 01:18 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Teulisch @ Apr 23 2014, 07:13 AM) *
well, if your going to lose magic anyway, you may as well make it worth it. also, you still have places to go later on- in fact, some of that ware makes it easier to advance.

This.
QUOTE (Teulisch @ Apr 23 2014, 07:13 AM) *
at skill 5, the reflex recorder raises it to 6 for a potential +3 from magic. adept allows for several awesome things biotech simply cannot do, but bioware add more dice to a point. the two have a nice synergy, and i could see an agent pushing for limited augmentation that wont show up on cyberware scanners. the biggest argument against a magical character getting ware is the magic loss from even 0.01 essence loss, but with adepts in many cases this can result in a net gain in effect.

The Reflex Recorder is treated just the same as Magical enhancement, if memory serves.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 23 2014, 01:22 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 23 2014, 06:18 AM) *
The Reflex Recorder is treated just the same as Magical enhancement, if memory serves.

Indeed it is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 24 2014, 03:34 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Haven't looked at Reflex Recorders since before the Marine Corps. Surprised that knowledge survived Boot... I've forgotten a lot of things that happened before Boot.

/proud, but also /AshamedGameRuleInformationSurvivedWhileBirthdaysAndSignificantEventsDidNot.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:36 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.