IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [SR3] Matrix Amount of Dice for IC, Hacking Pool, Basic Rule question about the handling of IC and Pools
Acenoid
post May 8 2014, 10:58 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 133,691

Hey ho!

I have a 3.01 related question, maybe someone knows:
The rules for matrix combat describe that the "IC attacks with the host security value (e.g. Orange-6) == 6 dice for the IC when attacking)

However most IC actions seem to have special rules stating that only opposed tests are being made iam unsure how many dice to use....

Example:
tarbaby 5 vs utility 4 on a green-8 host for example ... tarbaby rolls 5 dice with TN 4 , utility rolls 4 dice TN 5 correct? At least I saw that this was being done in a sample run document that I read.

Second question - The decking/hacking pool refreshes after each round (like for normal combat) - so outside of combat I could use the full pool for every action correct?

Thanks for all info
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bigity
post May 9 2014, 04:13 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

1) It would roll 5 (IC rating) dice against a TN of 4 (the rating of the utility that triggers the Tar baby). The decker would roll 4 dice against a TN of 5.

2) Yes - assuming the decker is using a hot interface and limited to attribute+skill in question. So you can't add 7 dice to a test you are only starting with 5 dice for. They have to actually be jacked into the matrix as well. I don't think you can use them for resisting black IC either.

+Quote Post
Acenoid
post May 9 2014, 11:32 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 133,691

Thanks for the response! Do you know in which cases I use the host rating instead of the ic rating for attacking an intruder?

QUOTE (Bigity @ May 9 2014, 05:13 AM) *
They have to actually be jacked into the matrix as well.

Can you elaborate what is meant here?

Thanks for the helpful info so far. Now I know to take special care when using IC attack dice.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post May 14 2014, 02:45 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (Acenoid @ May 9 2014, 05:32 PM) *
Thanks for the response! Do you know in which cases I use the host rating instead of the ic rating for attacking an intruder?

Can you elaborate what is meant here?

Thanks for the helpful info so far. Now I know to take special care when using IC attack dice.

The host rating determines the damage rating of the attack and TN only. See the tables on 224 and 226 in SR3 BBB. The status of the target icon (legit or intruding) also plays a part in determining the target number for the attacker. Taking your example of Orange 6, a Killer IC 5 would roll 5 dice against a TN 4 (its target is an intruding icon) with an attack code of 5S.

Basically, IC typically rolls it's own rating in dice, while the system ratings (ACIFS) are baseline target numbers to perform system operations when not a legitimate user. For example, a host with an index of 14 would require TNs of 14 minus appropriate program (usually Browse) rating to perform a search for a file.

A decker has to be jacked in for Hacking Pool. He can't be doing legwork type search rolls.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.