Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arrays and Sensors, Capacity or Slots
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 23 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #1

Prime Runner Ascendant

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,022

Okay - One of the guys at our table has a question, because it is somewhat confusing, and he would like clarification...

Sensor Arrays have a Capacity of 6, and Ratings ranging from 2-8, with a number of Functions in the Array equal to Rating.

So, the character purchases an array for a Drone, Rating 3. It will cost 3000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) to purchase the array, and per the text will fit 3 functions into that array. However, also in the text it says that each sensor takes capacity equal to rating, so that 6 Capacity of the Array gets eaten up pretty quickly with only 2 rating 3 Sensor functions, thus eliminating the 3rd function due to Capacity limitations. Same thing with an Array of Rating 6. ONE function at rating 6 takes up capacity of 6.

Now, My inference is that you ignore the capacity requirements of the sensor when placing it into an Array. You just take Rating Functions and add to the array, regardless of capacity issues. Does that scan as being somewhat correct? I thought SR4 was screwy with the Sensor Rules, but SR5 is giving me a headache.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gyrox10
post May 23 2014, 10:12 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 6,777

I believe the (capacity = rating) thing is specifically for sensor functions which share names with audio/visual devices described elsewhere.

The first paragraph on pg 446, right?

Also, where did you find it saying they're limited to Rating functions? The text unders sensors states you can have up to 8 sensors. I think you're correct Sensor worry about capacity. It costs 6 capacity to install them in something else, not that they have 6 capacity.

If that weren't true and the (capacity = rating) thing were, single-sensor functions couldn't ever have more than 1 rating when their minimum is 2.

And shadowrun 5 can't possibly induce madness, could it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 23 2014, 10:22 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Gyrox10 @ May 23 2014, 03:12 PM) *
I believe the (capacity = rating) thing is specifically for sensor functions which share names with audio/visual devices described elsewhere.

The first paragraph on pg 446, right?

Also, where did you find it saying they're limited to Rating functions? The text unders sensors states you can have up to 8 sensors. I think you're correct Sensor worry about capacity. It costs 6 capacity to install them in something else, not that they have 6 capacity.

If that weren't true and the (capacity = rating) thing were, single-sensor functions couldn't ever have more than 1 rating when their minimum is 2.

And shadowrun 5 can't possibly induce madness, could it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Yeah, I know, it is very troubling indeed...

+Quote Post
Gyrox10
post May 23 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 6,777

Something about the writing in SR5's core book makes me think of the phrase, "Premature optimization is the root of all evil."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.