> Shadowsearch, Because Not Everyone Memorizes Google Search Operators
JesterZero
post May 23 2014, 09:23 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,682

Hey Everyone,

So the product list seemed popular with a small subset of folks, so I'm back with another offering that some might find useful. It's a Google CSE (that stands for "Custom Search Engine") designed to return results from the Shadowrun-related sites I find myself referencing the most often. It also has a few search refinement options that allow you to narrow the results (including one that targets Dumpshock specifically; that was important to me, since searching Dumpshock in general is akin to black magic unless your Google-Fu is strong).

I'm terrible at naming things in general, and since La Femme Nikita already cornered the market on "Shadownet," I've landed on the descriptive but rather uninspired "Shadowsearch" instead. Whatever, as long as it works, right?

It seems to do the job relatively well. It's not really intended to be a substitute for those times when caffeine, eight hours, the entire WWW, and a list of search operators are called for, but rather to be a helpful tool for quick research.

The only problem I've noticed is that the inclusion of the more general RPG forums tends to be skewing the autocomplete suggestions, but the only way to mitigate that is either to 1) turn of autocomplete, or 2) remove those sites from the CSE. Silly suggestions seem preferable to those two options.

Any feedback is appreciated. Have fun.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 23 2014, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Will definitely try it out. Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Curator
post May 24 2014, 02:16 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 177,727

awesome~! how many hits/uses has it gotten so far? if you can tell

+Quote Post
JesterZero
post May 24 2014, 03:02 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (Curator @ May 23 2014, 07:16 PM) *
awesome~! how many hits/uses has it gotten so far? if you can tell

If the basic analytics that Google provides are to be believed, it has gotten very little use. I'm not sure if there's a delay in the data or it's just not being used.

It's not going to thrill me or kill me either way; it's still enables me to do research more easily for a couple of projects, which is why I built it in the first place.

Still, I hope it takes off, if only because it makes it that much easier to search the years and years of Dumpshock posts. Personally I think there's quite a bit of value in being able to retrieve a lot of those discussions and debates. A lot of the people who've worked on Shadowrun in various capacities posted their thoughts and ideas here, and have since moved on. Being able to delve into the recesses of Dumpshock is more or less required for people who have recently discovered the game and want to understand the history of it. I really didn't want that to be lost.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post May 24 2014, 06:49 AM
Post #5

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Pretty neat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks

+Quote Post
Curator
post May 24 2014, 03:06 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 177,727

i'll definitely use it thanks chumm3r!

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post May 24 2014, 09:03 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I like the idea...is there a way to make it search only DSF?

EDIT: Ah hah, found it.

Here is the search I have been waiting for all my life: https://www.google.com/cse?cx=0014211023126...k&gsc.sort=

+Quote Post
JesterZero
post May 25 2014, 12:45 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 24 2014, 02:03 PM) *
I like the idea...is there a way to make it search only DSF?

EDIT: Ah hah, found it.

Just to clarify for the folks who might still be figuring it out, clicking on any of the search refinements at the top of the page...AFTER you do the initial search....will narrow the results to only those contained in that refinement. Since this particular version was made with the Dumpshock crowd in mind, the "Dumpshock" refinement will return results only from dumpshock.com (which 99% of the time will be from forums.dumpshock.com, but occasionally you might pick up something from either the main site or a different subdomain).

If you're not sure which sites belong to which refinements, there's a list on the main page.

Hope that helps.

ps. If it seems to run slow or gives you an error, just try again. I'm basically pseudo-hosting this out of Dropbox, so occasionally it hiccups. In testing, it always seemed to be fine again after a couple of seconds.

+Quote Post
DeathStrobe
post May 25 2014, 06:28 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,558

Think you can add the Gaming Den and /r/Shadowrun

Ancient History and Frank Trollman occasionally have interesting SR discussions on the Gaming Den.

While /r/Shadowrun has a recurring post discussing the SR timeline.

+Quote Post
JesterZero
post May 25 2014, 03:16 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ May 24 2014, 11:28 PM) *
Think you can add the Gaming Den and /r/Shadowrun

The Gaming Den was already listed. Again, the list of sites and the refinements they belong to are on the initial search page.

I'll add the reddit thread later today.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post May 25 2014, 05:30 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

Excellent. Once again, posting this to G+ so it gets some exposure (I hope). Oh yeah, I'll probably use it too.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.