Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Musical cowboys in RPGs
Wounded Ronin
post May 24 2014, 02:11 AM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,383

For reasons that are perhaps not yet fully understood by me there seems to be a somewhat classical American cultural trope of the musical cowboy. For some reason the mythical cowboy drifted across the desert on his horse under harsh environmental conditions, fought gunslinger duels, tamed the West, became the sheriff, hung the outlaws, and all this stuff. And yet persistent in the cultural image and musical heritage is the motif of the musical cowboy strumming on a guitar.

Evidence of this construct include the famous Marty Robbins album "Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs", and Roy Rogers portraying a cowboy hero on a popular TV show and playing a guitar.

While I may not fully understand the historical basis for the musical cowboy it has occurred to me that in the context of role playing games it would probably be hilarious and a lot of fun to play a "Bard" type character in a Western, Victorian, or Steampunk setting based on the template of a Roy Rogers style cowboy who is carrying around a guitar and always has a "sad, sad song".

Or why not have an anachronistic cowboy character in Shadowrun, and develop a number of Bardic-type spells he could cast by playing a guitar? It would be pretty funny.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post May 25 2014, 03:12 AM
Post #2

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

Does he get a horse too? maybe Attuned as in the adept metamagic?

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post May 25 2014, 03:22 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (pbangarth @ May 24 2014, 10:12 PM) *
Does he get a horse too? maybe Attuned as in the adept metamagic?

I guess you do need the horse! Fortunately I recall there being characters in the SR2 BBB with the Horseback Riding skill. I wonder if the SR devs ever had to try and apply Horesback Riding skill checks to vehicle combat!

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post May 25 2014, 08:16 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,585

The was always the Bard/Ranger with Horse as animal companion...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Also - Deadlands. Have an undead cowboy, wooin' the ladies and reeling off their 6-shooter, and their firearm, before being chased off into a bloody sunset by the locals:)

-Tir

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:20 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.