Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun software, What do <b>you</b> use
WolfJack
post May 6 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,039

So while doing, yet another, Google search for Shadowrun software I decided to make a general thread that everyone could benefit from.

Like the topic says, What do YOU use when you are either GMing or playing Shadowrun.

I'll start it off with the follow:

Milenix MyInfo - Good outline based organizational program.
Adobe Acrobat - No brainer.

I had found something called Shadowrun Personal Assistant Device (PAD) but the link I had is dead. Anyone else have this. It was a decent general purpose note taker and had a nice Condition Monitor, which I can't seem to find for Windows.

So, what does everyone else use/recommend?

-Wolf
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 6 2004, 12:17 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Beats the hell out of actually rolling dice.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post May 6 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

Er...I use Microsoft Outlook (to write e-mails to my home address at work...only during my lunch break, of course...containing random thoughts for my next SR game) and MS Word (for character creation, filing adventure ideas, etc.).

Does that count?

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post May 6 2004, 01:34 AM
Post #4

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

must....find...more....WinCE....programs

I'm gonna try a fully integrated game next time I run...info on my website, PDFs for players (instead of handouts...hehe) Bryce and 3dStudio and Maya to do some pretty art...I'm sure I'll fail just cause I'd have to work at it..

I'm using PocketDice for my PDA right now, and it's not bad, but it has some stall times to it sometimes. Plus I'm using CIH (Conversions In Hand) for mesurement conversions on the quick...that program rocks...NSRCG and SRTracker for some stuff, but I need a lap top to make em really usable.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post May 6 2004, 01:44 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

I use Textpad for jotting down plot ideas, generating HTML for character sheets and rules supplements, and other record-keeping. I could use Notepad, I guess, but Textpad has syntax highlighting and other features that help outside of Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
gfen
post May 6 2004, 03:04 AM
Post #6

Target

From: bethlehem, pennsylvania. not israel. we're not busy bulldozing any palestinian homesteads here. yet.
Member No.: 5,989

You already know this, but...

SRDiceRoller for OSX.

I'll move over to VirtPC/Windows for NRSCG. I've a link for someone trying to develop an OSX version of this.

+Quote Post
WolfJack
post May 6 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #7

Target

Yea, the same guy that does the condition monitor. Now if only they had something like that for Windows.

I checked out Omnihedron and it's alright but if I have a net connection I prefer to use Dashifen's dice roller

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 6 2004, 01:10 PM
Post #8

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

AutoCAD, MSWord and NSRCG.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 6 2004, 01:49 PM
Post #9

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

I started using Visio to make maps. Very usefull.

+Quote Post
WolfJack
post May 6 2004, 02:00 PM
Post #10

Target

I've used a program called Dungeon Crafter for maps a time or two, but not for anything more then basic floorplans.

-Wolf

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post May 8 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

I use spreadsheets, Netscape Navigator, and a work-in-progress custom software program for all the NPCs (and players) that has their stats, armor, gear, descriptions and skills, Essence/Bioware, and certain Cyberware (armor adding types only) plus die-roller that does their attack, w/or without combat pool, rolls damage/spell resistance, imports/exports NPCs, tracks Damage/Condition monitor and TN mods for each character.

It will also determine reaction/surprise and initiative automatically for NPCs, with the GM typing in players rolls before sorting for order of initiative etc.

I still need to do a lot of programming and debugging before it's fully ready, and for now it will be OS X, for Macs.

+Quote Post
Sahandrian
post May 8 2004, 04:05 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,880

I use KeyNote for note-taking, character info, and plot ideas.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 8 2004, 06:38 PM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

TextEdit.app, Calculator.app, phpBB, and Fire.app. Also Vectorworks 9 when I'm feeling motivated.

~J

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post May 8 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #14

MechRigger Delux

Anyone else use any 3d programs or do 3d art for their runners??

+Quote Post
kuroko
post May 9 2004, 06:12 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 3,936

I use excell for character sheets (nothing automated, just some carefully designed sheets that change with the runner). Other than that, not much really.

However, in the first group I ran with several people had PDA's and got into the habit of flashing each other messages (I think AIM, but can't recall). This way when wierd things happened, we never knew if it was one of them doing something or the gm messing with us himself.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post May 9 2004, 06:51 AM
Post #16

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

I use Dashifen's DCRS and Mcmackies NSRCG along word to make and maintain my host of characters.

Theres a ton of other great resources in my page at the SRwebpository.

+Quote Post
Omega Skip
post May 9 2004, 04:18 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,074

Do I use 3D Software for Shadowrun? I guess you could say that.

Before I was hospitalized, I was working on something called the VRML Site Viewer. Maybe I'll put some more work into it later... We talked about it on Dumpshock before.

I always found that adding 3D stuff (plans, movies, models, etc) to my game made things WAAAAY easier to explain. Besides, nothing beats telling your players, "Well, you look up into the bright antarctic sky, and see this."

:vegm:

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 9 2004, 04:42 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

Notepad, Wordpad, and a Calculator (not that it helps me get my numbers right in the first place). That's about it.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 9 2004, 05:07 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Omega Skip)
"Well, you look up into the bright antarctic sky, and see this."

We're looking up, so why can we see what appears to be the top of the thing? Is it upside-down?

~J :vep:

+Quote Post
Omega Skip
post May 9 2004, 05:37 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,074

Well, uh, I mean... you see, it's like this: Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from upside down, yeah, that's what happened. Hey, look behind you, a 30 foot ornithopode walker drone!

[Edit]Well, the real story is this: The images with the desert temple and the flying fortress are from a Shadowrun campaign that included some heavy duty timetravel. My players were stranded in an unknown place / time, and got themselves captured and knocked out. Once they were awake, they went about escaping from their prison cells - and when they finally saw daylight again, they emerged on the very top of the fortress. Kind of like that one scene in "Face/Off" where Archer escapes from prison only to realize he'd been
[ Spoiler ]

To make it easier for my players to understand their surroundings, I rendered this, and also a little flyby movie of the entire thing. That also did a nice job of giving them an idea of the thing's dimensions.

To get back on topic: I use, in addition to what's already been said, 3DS Max and some VRML stuff to give my players real-time 3D maps whenever possible. It's a lot of work, but it pays off nicely.[/Edit]

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post May 9 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #21

MechRigger Delux

Nice job with it...I'll have to link some of my stuff when my web site is up and running ... still working on that though...maybe I should spend less time here or UT 2K4...

+Quote Post
northern lights
post May 10 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,929

i've been tossing around the idea of a firearm creation program so that i can throw custom guns together in minutes. but i sat down and thought about making random access files and then i realized i was too lazy. maybe someday.
still, nsrcg is excellently useful.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 10 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #23

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (northern lights @ May 9 2004, 08:09 PM)
i've been tossing around the idea of a firearm creation program so that i can throw custom guns together in minutes.

Try here. Or directly from here.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post May 10 2004, 01:56 AM
Post #24

Technomancer

Member No.: 3,374

Whee! I got two mentions :) Seriously, though, I use my own software (or I wouldn't have written it) as well as my laptop at game time. I often jot some notes during the run but I rarely save them from week to week and instead just hope that I remember them all.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:06 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.