IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Psiconicist's, Ways to make them better
Have you ever played a psionic character?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 62
Guests cannot vote 
Joker9125
post May 6 2004, 12:18 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,909

Psionic mages have to be one of the most underpowered character types in the game. However I am currently playing a psionic psycologist named Mesmer (that looks alot like Frasier Crane with hair) I like the character because he makes for some interesting role playing mostly because of his chosen profession and reason for being in the shadows "The Criminal Mind: An on-going case study by Franz Anton Mesmer".

Psiconicist caint bond foci and thought forms are pretty weak, while they stay around longer than nature spirits they only really have one power(magic fingers) and you can only have one of them out at a time. Ive been thinking of ways to make them more balanced yet unique I thought about allowing them to have a maximum number of spirits equal to their charasma like hermatic mages but that would be way to munchkin.

Any thoughts or comments on how to make this a more viable character type?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cray74
post May 6 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Joker9125)
Any thoughts or comments on how to make this a more viable character type?

Play a hermetic mage with "psionic" spells.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 6 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

Cray nailed it.

The Psionic rules were completely redundant, not to mention grossly underpowered compared to other options.

+Quote Post
Vision
post May 6 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 6,304

Well, i do play Shamans or psionics a lot. Tho i never played them as fullmage. I do dislike the idea of a psionic being able to summon something or even to summon an ally which is developing an mind of its own.

That kinda goes against me imagination of someone doing everything with their mind.

I am not sure if they should be stronger, even if i would like to have some of the mindspells a bit more more drainfriendly for Psionics. But i do not mind it that way.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 6 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #5

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Thought forms could be made more viable by giving them mental domains. The Psionic could only have one Form under direct control, but the former would follow the last command, just like shamans. The Mental Terrains would grant unique powers, too. The psionic should take on some aspects of the Mental state and maintain it while wishing to control the spirit.

Domains: Domination (Fear), Passion (Search), Regression (Poltergeist), Rational (Magic Fingers), Madness (Confusion).

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 6 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

I just don't see how "thought forms" fit in the concept to begin with.

It'd be easier to design it as a Priority B/25 Build Point concept that only has access to spells. In other words, an aspected Hermetic Sorcerer. Maybe giving a +2 die bonus on Control and Telekinetic Manipulation "spells" while suffering a -2 die penalty on "spells" that clearly don't fit into the theme.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 6 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #7

Beetle Eater

I think that Though Forms make a great deal of sense. They work exactly how psiconics justify ghosts and spirits: mental imprinting. The idea that thought is so powerful it can survive without a body. Thought Forms are just a logical extension of that.

+Quote Post
booklord
post May 6 2004, 03:08 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

I never really viewed psionics as viable characters. They were introduced not really for playing but as an example of a person suffering from a form of psychological disfunction that is warping their magical abilities.

They brought it back in 3rd Edition mainly to be thorough. They're still heavily limited. Weak conjuring ability. No ability to use foci. Outcasts in the magical community. Finally they're a horrific role playing challenge because they simply do not believe in magic.

+Quote Post
Vision
post May 6 2004, 03:14 AM
Post #9

Target

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
I think that Though Forms make a great deal of sense. They work exactly how psiconics justify ghosts and spirits: mental imprinting. The idea that thought is so powerful it can survive without a body. Thought Forms are just a logical extension of that.

I still do not like the idea of thoughtforms, but i can life with them. What i cannot life with is an Ally-Spirit for a psionic. That goes far beyond a simple thoughtform, since they do develop their own mentallity and personality. That would be like the psionic is creating a second self.

I rather do take an aspected magican and put them onto the sorcery path. This way i do have access to all type of spells that fit into the whole psionic thing. Like Combat-, Detection-, Illusion-, Telekinetic- and Controll Manipulation as well as Transform manipulation Spells such as the Barriers.

That way i still have an psionic without having to deal with Thoughtforms and watchers. Okay i do lose the projection but i can life with that one.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 6 2004, 03:21 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

They'd have been fine if they "conjurered" (manifested) "nature spirits" and/or "ancestor spirits" (psychic constructs), especially if they all gained that cool diviniation spirit power I remember seeing in some book -- might even have been MitS. If they were bad-asses on the astral plane, as they should be, that would have even made them a cool option in lieu of other choices. Harry Keogh from the Necroscope series is a perfect example of a "conjuring" psychic.

I have no idea why they're forbidden from using foci or the artificial limits placed on their "spells" though. A mentalist who focuses on illusions are nearly impossible to create without going against the recommendations for the rules (such as one who "clouds mens minds" to make themselves invisible). The same goes for a psychic who augments his physical abilities, since Health spells outside of Heal are don't fit their model apparently.

But as they stand, all they have is limitations with no inherent benefits whatsoever. Yet they still cost a Priority slot of A or 30 Build Points. Awful, awful rules.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 6 2004, 03:45 AM
Post #11

Beetle Eater

I agree that Shadowrun gimped them, but I don't think the concept is unsalvageable. For spells I allow anything so long as the metaphor is mental. They wouldn't throw a fireball because that's just flashy, but they can start fires and manaball. The idea of summoning Ancestor spirits (Mental Matrices) using items with high psychic impressions is a good one. I really like the idea of Mental Domains; I take it I'm the only one?

As to ally spirits, remember that 2060 psionics have the advantage of knowing other "deluded" psionics can make them, so it has to be possible. I would image that a psionic's ally is like the clones in Multiplicity with the added feeling that a piece of their life is gone, imbued in the ally. Once they take that part of their mind back, the ally dies.

+Quote Post
booklord
post May 6 2004, 03:46 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

Awful, awful rules.

Yeah but I don't think the Psionic was introduced to be a viable PC. The Psionic was introduced as an attempt to provide an example of an awakened individual with a severe psychological problem that affected his magical abilities. The character was introduced to provide flavor to the Shadowrun universe. If someone actually wanted to play a psionic I'd try to balance it out by counting their denial of magic as one huge mental flaw.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 6 2004, 03:50 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

So you're saying a pyrokinetic like the Firestarter wouldn't be hurling fireballs or flamethrower spells? :) I can't think of very many spells that can't be shoehorned into a psionic concept one way or the other.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post May 6 2004, 03:56 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

Kanada Ten, how would the Domains work? I don't see what you are getting at. How would fear determine what and where the spirit can do, or what ever it is you are trying to do.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 6 2004, 03:57 AM
Post #15

Beetle Eater

I don't think a firestarter psionic would "hurl" spells. I think he or she would manifest the fire on the targets bodies with none of the flashy effects of an elementalist. I agree that most spells can be modled to the psionic view, but they just wouldn't view most traditional spells as anything but excessivly flashy.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 6 2004, 04:00 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

So you never saw Firestarter with Drew Barrymore, then?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post May 6 2004, 04:10 AM
Post #17

Beetle Eater

The Mental Domains are like "personalities" or "states of mind" of the summoner. While in the Domination state of mind, the psionic can summon and control a Domination Thought Form who's power is Fear. The Though Form is still limited to the (1000 X Magic?) in Meters of the summoner and can only be commanded while the psionic maintained the Domination mindset. Once the psionic switched domains from Domination to Passion, the Domination Form would finish it's last command (or 12/24 hours) and then dissipate.

Much of the domain limitation would be roleplaying aspects. While in Domination, one becomes demanding and self-righteous which can be dangerous in any given situation. While in Passion, the psionic may seem like a zealot or lust stricken. Madness mindset would defiantly have drawbacks, and Regression would be child like behavior. Rational is the neutral mindset of most psionics. Does that make sense?

Clockwork, yeah I saw it, but that doesn't mean I think psionics should work like that. The girl was more of an Elementalist; her dad was the Psionic.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 6 2004, 04:11 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

+Quote Post
Kesh
post May 6 2004, 04:14 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

QUOTE (Vision)
Well, i do play Shamans or psionics a lot. Tho i never played them as fullmage. I do dislike the idea of a psionic being able to summon something or even to summon an ally which is developing an mind of its own.

That kinda goes against me imagination of someone doing everything with their mind.

Why is that? There are plenty of examples where 'psychics' either speak with spirits, banish them or call them up (as mediums). Typically, these are the spirits of the deceased, but sometimes they are demons or other kinds of supernatural entities.

I'd personally treat a psion as a form of shaman, while giving them a bonus on detection spells and a penalty on combat spells, and a domain choice similar to Raccoon (allowing either modern urban psychics, or back-woods hermits/monks).

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post May 6 2004, 04:24 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

It makes since, but that still lends the Psionist to roleplaying again, which I think the whole thing is. I have tried a psionist before the rules were published and we just made it basically a mage/shaman but with a distintive style (not the flaw just how it is role played). It has been about ten years since I played it so I don't remember the exact rules we had.

+Quote Post
Vision
post May 6 2004, 07:07 AM
Post #21

Target

QUOTE (Kesh)
Why is that? There are plenty of examples where 'psychics' either speak with spirits, banish them or call them up (as mediums). Typically, these are the spirits of the deceased, but sometimes they are demons or other kinds of supernatural entities.

Because a psionic is in my mind doing everything himself. He/She is focusing their own Willpower onto some effect. In Most cases it will be a instant effect or something that needs to be substained by their concentration, but not casting something that will "hang out" around them and await new orders.

Or having a "Thought" return and report its mission (speaking of Watchers) That just does not go with the psi thing and the focus of mentalpowers onto something.

To create a spirit, which are all cable of thinking on their own (maybe except the watchers), is like creating a second personality each time they cast something.

And no Psionic ever had contact with the Death or Supernatural Stuff. That are other people like fortunetellers, shamans, witches and this kind of people. Psionics do mindreading, levitation, mind- and sensetwisting.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post May 6 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ May 6 2004, 03:45 AM)
I really like the idea of Mental Domains; I take it I'm the only one?

I thought those were great. I also like "ancestor spirits," depending on the psionicist's "spin." A more psionicist with a gypsie angle, or an old school 19th Century mesmerist, might be more likely to summon the "ghosts of the dead." I also liked the Ally suggestion. A variant Ally for a psionicist might be a "spirit guide."

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 7 2004, 04:04 AM
Post #23

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Vision)
Because a psionic is in my mind doing everything himself.

Okay, let's combine this with the idea of Mental Domains, and try to make a workable Psionicist that people might be interested in playing. I really don't see why psions have to get picked on; it's no more different from "normal" magic than an adept choosing his somatic way; the psionicist is just choosing a "mental way."

To start off, we'll get rid of that stupid idea about foci, and allow psionicists to bond whatever foci they want, in the same way that other magic users can. Foci tend to be crystals or expensive gems and such; their presence helps the psionicist, "harmonize his thoughts," or whatever.

The idea I'm going for here is that, to the Psionicist (psion for short), there are four basic emotional states. Of course there are more emotions, but these are the most primal, the ones powerful enough to have their own existence seperate from the metahuman mind. There are four basic Mental Domains: loosely described as Love and Hate, Rationality and Fear. Rather than physical places like shamanistic domains or abstract concepts like Hermatic elements, these mental domains are basic mindsets which color the psion's ability.

Determining which Mental Domain a psion is in can be left up to the GM, or you can use the rules here. There are two traits which determine the Mental Domain of a psion: Distraction and Abstraction. If he has five or more total boxes filled in his Stun and Physical Condition Monitor, then the psion is Distracted, otherwise he is not. If he has used more Mental Attribute-linked skills in the past hour than other Active skills, then he is Abstracted, otherwise he is not.
If the psion is Distracted and not Abstracted, then he is in the Domain of Hate.
If the psion is Distracted and Abstracted, then he is in the Domain of Fear.
If the psion is not Distracted and not Abstracted, then he is in the Domain of Love.
If the psion is not Distracted but is Abstracted, then he is in the Domain of Rationality.
If a Mental Psion wishes to act as if he were in a different Mental Domain than the one he is currently in naturally, as an Exclusive Complex Action he can make a Willpower(8) test; for every two successes he can change one of his mental traits (eg: change Distracted to not-Distracted.) for up to ten Combat Turns.
Make sense so far?

Like the Hermatic elements, each Mental Domain corresponds to a school of spells:
Love: Health
Rationality: Detection
Hate: Combat
Fear: Illusion
There is no Domain for Manipulations; the Manipulation school is to psions what the Health school is to hermatics.
An interesting aspect of the psion's use of magic is how it is affected by background count. Because of the internal nature of a Mental Domain and how it interacts with a psion's spells, any effects of background count are halved (round down) when a psion is casting a spell from a school in his current Mental Domain (eg. a psion in the Hate domain only has a +2TN modifier to Drain Resistance when in a background count of 4). However, the modifiers are increased by one-half when the spell is in a different Mental Domain.
Psions can specialize in a particular mental domain as an aspected mage (as elementalists specialize in a single element), or as a full mage (as elemental mages do, receiving the same bonuses.)

According the Psionicist view, Conjured spirits are nothing less than pure thought given form, or, if you perfer, a mental process seperated from the mind. These "thought forms" work in the same way as spirits do, and the psion can have a maximum of (Int/2) thought forms active at any one time. Unlike normal spirits or elementals, thought forms seem to degrade over time: every hour after "Summoning" a thought form it loses one point of Force, until it finally disappears upon reaching zero Force.

Here's where I run out of ideas. What would be good stats and powers and such for different thought forms?

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 7 2004, 04:15 AM
Post #24

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Nice, but very complex.

I prefer to make Psionicist full mages, removing the stupid foci and spell restrictions. They can summon thought forms, and banish anything. Thought Forms get the expanded-range Search power, and divination in their Great Form.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 7 2004, 04:20 AM
Post #25

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

I might prefer to see psionicists a little more along the lines of the shamanic paths with possibly the use of the Concious Mind, Id, Ego, and Superego as the "totems".

As for foci, I'd also lift the ban to let psionicists use foci crafted by psionicists (but not other mages). That seems to be more of a happy medium than no foci, at least.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.