> Shadowrun Overhaul House Rules, My collection of house rules
Tyrhaynes
post Jun 18 2014, 07:29 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 189,664

My gaming blog: https://scionhouserules.wordpress.com

List of all my house rules that are finished or nearly so. I am working on finishing another five or six more in the next few weeks depending on how playtesting goes.

http://scionhouserules.wordpress.com/compendium/

My latest recently updated work on mana. Let me know what you think of the balloon analogy.

http://scionhouserules.wordpress.com/2014/...primer-on-mana/

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 18 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

technomancers cost 25 BP and full magicians cost 15?

so ummm... I take it you don't like having technomancers in your game, then?

+Quote Post
Tyrhaynes
post Jun 18 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #3

Target

Well, technomancers in the priority system are more expensive than mystic adepts or magicians once you take into account the freebies of spells, skills, and complex forms. So, it isn't my take on it it is a core rules take.

+Quote Post
Tyrhaynes
post Jun 18 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #4

Target

It ends up being a 30 karma difference or 6 BP so you do have a point since I have a 10 BP differential.

+Quote Post
Tyrhaynes
post Jun 18 2014, 05:43 PM
Post #5

Target

I have now changed it to 20 BP. Thanks for the feedback.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 18 2014, 07:43 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Tyrhaynes @ Jun 18 2014, 10:43 AM) *
I have now changed it to 20 BP. Thanks for the feedback.

Well... Technomancers are not as powerful or versatile as a Full Mage, so they are STILL more expensive than they should be. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
The disconnect in 5th Edition is that the developers obviously are working at eliminating Technomancers as a viable Archetype (The pendulum has swung too far back from where it was in 4th Edition).

+Quote Post
Tyrhaynes
post Jun 18 2014, 07:49 PM
Post #7

Target

I am no expert on technomancers. The last time there was a technomancer pc in my games they were called otaku and there was something fishy going down in the seattle renraku arcology.

I have on occasion used npc technomancers as threats as well as emergent critters but that is rare.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 18 2014, 07:55 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Tyrhaynes @ Jun 18 2014, 12:49 PM) *
I am no expert on technomancers. The last time there was a technomancer pc in my games they were called otaku and there was something fishy going down in the seattle renraku arcology.

I have on occasion used npc technomancers as threats as well as emergent critters but that is rare.

They are essentially Otaku with a few perks. SOme would argue they were too powerful in 4th, but now they are too weak in 5th. There is no middle ground, apparently.
Probably should not be costed any more than a full mage (at 15 BP) though (and probably equal to a Mysad, in my opinion). In 4th they were costed at 5 BP.

+Quote Post
Tyrhaynes
post Jun 18 2014, 08:56 PM
Post #9

Target

Have you run a 5e game? If so how do technomancers match deckers? In 4e I remember one of my players saying that in the previous game he was in with a different gm the technomancers wiped the floor with deckers and eventually that gm banned them.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 18 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Tyrhaynes @ Jun 18 2014, 01:56 PM) *
Have you run a 5e game? If so how do technomancers match deckers? In 4e I remember one of my players saying that in the previous game he was in with a different gm the technomancers wiped the floor with deckers and eventually that gm banned them.

Currently playing a Technomancer in a 5th Edition Game.
In 4th Edition, the TM could outshine against a Decker pretty easily (though my Cyberlogician was pretty much on par with the TM in our games - after a certain point, Program Rating and Technomancer CF's become pointless to exceed... And my Worms and IC were often better than his Sprites, in the long run).

In 5th Edition, I would be better served to get a Deck and Hack sans TM abilities (Limits would be better for the Decker than the TM, and are easily configured on the fly), for the most part. TM's were depowered to the point of almost uselessness. I have my niche, and I make do pretty well, but I have been playing for many, many years, and I know my GM well enough to know what flies and what does not. I also did not just make the most optimized character that I could have either, but even then, the character would likely be better served as a Dekcer than a TM. TM Fading is stupid High, and the opportunity cost to be simply as effective as a Decker is absurd. Of course, a TM needs no equipment, which is awesome all on its own.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 19 2014, 04:17 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

a 4th edition TM also had access to IC (or agents) and worms and such. yes, you had to actually invest in something to run them, but seeing as how you probably didn't have anything better to spend your money on anyways, it's not a big deal.

4th edition TMs were crazy powerful. that said, they were also crazy expensive to build in either BP or karma gen, and had various drawbacks (like taking matrix damage on their stun track, which can't just be medic'd away, and suffering resonance loss if they took any 'ware). tuning them down a little bit makes sense., because they really were the undisputed kings of the matrix, but should have come with a reduction in cost so that they could also stop being so pathetic in any scenario other than hacking stuff (and/or rigging).

tuning them down, then tuning deckers up, then making them "unique" by making sure they can't do a number of useful things the deckers can do (like running programs or having swappable matrix attributes), then making their complex forms have ridiculous fading codes because they were too powerful, then taking away their ability to rig stuff in chargen (to be fair, that was done to the deckers as well, but at least they can subscribe drones to their cyberdeck to command, or run an RCC at the same time as their cyberdeck without needing to submerge) all combined with leaving the cost to play one every bit as high, plus leaving them with all their old drawbacks? not so reasonable.

they should have been made reasonable. instead, they got nerfed hard. it looks basically like 2-3 different people all decided technomancers needed to be taken down a peg, each used a different way to nerf them, and nobody bothered to notice that it had happened.

+Quote Post
Tyrhaynes
post Jun 19 2014, 08:34 AM
Post #12

Target

http://scionhouserules.wordpress.com/2014/...ral-protrusion/

http://scionhouserules.wordpress.com/2014/...-impersonation/

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Jun 19 2014, 09:37 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

Certain writers of 5e matrix rules were diehard fans of Deckers and went out of their way to give them nice things and eliminate their competition. You could also say that it was a load of bull (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
MADness
post Jun 19 2014, 12:54 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,522

Any plans on working with Adepts more? Taking away their bonus skills seemed a tad nerdy at first, but you also seem to have reduced te cost of skills and skill groups a large amount

Yet, I feel like Adepts are the same kind of magic as Aspected Mages.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 19 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jun 19 2014, 02:37 AM) *
Certain writers of 5e matrix rules were diehard fans of Deckers and went out of their way to give them nice things and eliminate their competition. You could also say that it was a load of bull (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Indeed... You know how those trogs are though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tyrhaynes
post Jun 19 2014, 05:01 PM
Post #16

Target

QUOTE (MADness @ Jun 19 2014, 06:54 AM) *
Any plans on working with Adepts more? Taking away their bonus skills seemed a tad nerdy at first, but you also seem to have reduced te cost of skills and skill groups a large amount

Yet, I feel like Adepts are the same kind of magic as Aspected Mages.

What do you mean by taking away their bonus skills? They get 1 skill equal to their Magic Rating so it is actually better than the priority table gift of an active skill at -2 to their Magic Rating.

+Quote Post
Tyrhaynes
post Jun 22 2014, 09:25 PM
Post #17

Target

My latest post with new metamagics for fifth edition.

http://scionhouserules.wordpress.com/2014/...-fifth-edition/

+Quote Post
Tyrhaynes
post Jun 24 2014, 09:20 PM
Post #18

Target

http://scionhouserules.wordpress.com/2014/...ical-qualities/

Shielding Qualities.

+Quote Post
Tyrhaynes
post Jun 26 2014, 06:35 AM
Post #19

Target

http://scionhouserules.wordpress.com/2014/...tral-total-war/

A little background fluff which I thought was a really fun idea.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jun 26 2014, 08:33 AM
Post #20

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

QUOTE (Tyrhaynes @ Jun 22 2014, 05:25 PM) *
My latest post with new metamagics for fifth edition.

http://scionhouserules.wordpress.com/2014/...-fifth-edition/

This does one box worth of damage that must heal naturally or the Blood Mage loses a Karma point for every sacrificed box healed with magic.

Now that is an interesting variant to allow healing of Blood Damage, which could also by extension be used to allow magic healing general Drain Damage.

At 1 Karma per box healed it is pretty steep but does fit with the 'everything has a price' scheme and is spendy enough that it wouldn't be done too lightly while still leaving the option available when one is in a bind and really needs to.

An adjustment to the ratio may be needed, but will have to see.
May have to steal this idea and test it to see how it shakes out.

+Quote Post
Smash
post Jul 3 2014, 03:02 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,058

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 19 2014, 05:43 AM) *
Well... Technomancers are not as powerful or versatile as a Full Mage, so they are STILL more expensive than they should be. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
The disconnect in 5th Edition is that the developers obviously are working at eliminating Technomancers as a viable Archetype (The pendulum has swung too far back from where it was in 4th Edition).

The disconnect comes from the fact that a lot of games ignore the universe and make wireless hacking impossible, dispite the fact that the cannon states that everything is wireless.

So a Technomancer can either be incredible adept at taking out cybered opponents and manipulating the environment from automated defence systems, to vehicles, to shower curtains running Linix. Or:

The can be an expensive paperweight because people choose to not make wireless a thing.

Personally I think the problem lies with the players, not the technomancer archetype.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 3 2014, 03:12 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Smash @ Jul 2 2014, 11:02 PM) *
The disconnect comes from the fact that a lot of games ignore the universe and make wireless hacking impossible, dispite the fact that the cannon states that everything is wireless.

So a Technomancer can either be incredible adept at taking out cybered opponents and manipulating the environment from automated defence systems, to vehicles, to shower curtains running Linix. Or:

The can be an expensive paperweight because people choose to not make wireless a thing.

Personally I think the problem lies with the players, not the technomancer archetype.

no, not really. just because many things are wireless, doesn't mean that everything is wireless. a technomancer is amazing, until they have to actually go somewhere in person. and while it is reasonable to expect that you won't always be going everywhere in person, it is not reasonable to expect that you will never have to go anywhere in person.

they have a huge weakness which can only be minimized to some extent. they once actually were pretty much the poster child for power, with a cost. now they're the poster child for not having power, but still having a huge cost.

+Quote Post
Tyrhaynes
post Jul 12 2014, 08:11 AM
Post #23

Target

https://scionhouserules.wordpress.com/2014/...-to-initiation/

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jul 12 2014, 09:42 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jun 19 2014, 03:37 AM) *

Honestly, they didn't go far enough. Technomancers as written are conceptually dumb, and rely on literally everyone else in the world making dumb choices to be a functional archetype.

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Jul 12 2014, 10:08 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 29,391

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 12 2014, 07:42 PM) *
Honestly, they didn't go far enough. Technomancers as written are conceptually dumb, and rely on literally everyone else in the world making dumb choices to be a functional archetype.

So technomancers weigh the same as a duck?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:31 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.