Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help With Character: Human Street Samurai Combat Medic
CaptRory
post Jun 24 2014, 01:59 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 189,579

I haven't played Shadowrun in so long I've had to relearn the entire system. I've been working on this character for about a week which made it a good applied project for relearning as I had to keep looking things up and asking questions of the good people here. So, now I'm asking for you all to let me know how badly I've screwed up.

The character concept is, at its core, a guy who shoots things and patches people up.

[ Spoiler ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 24 2014, 02:17 AM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Looks fine at a glance to me, but (as always) remember that competency requirements are going to vary wildly from table to table. That pool of 9 for Automatics might make you a solid, reliable, rifleman in some games, and might rank you below the decker with a gun, in others. Check with your GM to see what sort of threat level he's likely to throw at you, what sort of core competency dice pools he's imagining, and that sort of thing, and then tweak as necessary.

I'm not sure how appropriate the clowns thing (and being extra-hated by toxic spirits) is going to fly, but if it's cool with your GM, knock yourself out. I'd skip the aptitude with dodge, personally, but that's just because I think aptitude is generally kind of garbage.

You also might want to see if there's a way to edit the thread, in order to tag it for SR4.

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Jun 24 2014, 03:06 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Ok, I knew I was forgetting something, must've been the 4e tag. Fixed that.

Yeah~ wanted to make sure it all actually worked before showing the GM for help with the Fiddly Bits (the clown stuff, the toxic spirit thing, some other particulars).

He did say he didn't want powergaming and didn't want a pink mohawk game so I'm guessing a 9 pool will be fine. I didn't want to take disadvantages that didn't actually disadvantage my character, that really is trying to sneak something by. The toxic spirit will, at least, target my guy first to rip apart and the clown thing should at least be interesting/funny depending on how the GM plays with it (assuming he okays both). Its not like I'm taking penalties to magic or hacking stuff.

What would you suggest replacing aptitude with? I figured an extra die in "Getting The Heck Out Of The Way" wouldn't be a bad choice, humans don't have tons of raw stats and not getting shot/chopped into bits isn't a bad thing though I understand why Aptitude and the stat increasing one I'm drawing a blank on are considered to be bad choices generally.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jun 24 2014, 06:17 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

It really isn't worth a 10-point quality, then spending 28 Karma later, to have one extra die compared to a normal skill of 6. it is usually better to have higher Reaction, which adds to all defense, than to have a higher dodge, which only works for ranged if you go on full defense.

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Jun 24 2014, 06:40 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Glyph @ Jun 24 2014, 02:17 AM) *
It really isn't worth a 10-point quality, then spending 28 Karma later, to have one extra die compared to a normal skill of 6. it is usually better to have higher Reaction, which adds to all defense, than to have a higher dodge, which only works for ranged if you go on full defense.

Well, what would you suggest? I already maxed out my attributes without taking the even more costly Quality for that.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jun 24 2014, 07:06 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

You could replace the quality with genetic heritage and take Reakt, which gives +2 to defensive tests, or more simply, you could drop the quality to take a ranged specialization in dodge, then get 2 more points in another skill (or a new skill at rating: 2).

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Jun 24 2014, 07:33 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Can you take Qualities after CharGen? I've labored under the assumption you can't so you should take advantage while the opportunity presented itself.

+Quote Post
Dolanar
post Jun 24 2014, 10:13 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,066

Certain Qualities (based on GM approval) can be taken after creation for twice the BP in Karma.

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Jun 24 2014, 11:18 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

...Electronic Firing (Ares Predator) gives 1 Point of Recoil Compensation..
(I would change it to Personalized Grip) (saving 900 yen)..

max. rating of Fake License /Sin is 4 without using Restricted Gear-quality.. (Rating x 3)(F)

You got Medkit but no Medkit supplies?? (i would buy at least 4-5 of them and few Slap patches)

Smart Pack, Butt packs, spare clips, duffel bag (or two), silencer for Predator/Elan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changing Aptitude to Quick Healer (IMOO)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
changing Aptitude to Born Rich, taking point from Edge (to 5)..Bravo!!! 50k yen more to spend..

dropping 1 point of Agility/Strenght ( and buying lvl 1-2 Muscle toner/Muscle Augmentation (Musc Aug. is cheaper) ( more yen comes from lower level Fake Sins/Licenses), Body to 5 ( better options for armor)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Armor Jacket/Camouflage suit(8/6) w/ r6 Chemical Protection & r6 Fire Resistance)
(PPP Vitals Protection (1/1) w/ r6 Nonconductivity) (discreet-version)
(PPP Shin Guards (0/1) w/ r6 Insulation)(discreet -version)
(Helmet (1/2))
(Gas mask/Respirator)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Jun 24 2014, 06:24 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

The GM is allowing us to buy stuff up to 20, not just 12. I actually had to punch that into chummer to fix the errors it was spitting at me. =-3

Born Rich frags the character concept unfortunately.

The particular Ares Predator I bought comes with electronic firing and a few other things built in, I only added the skin link and gecko grip.

I will double check the medical supplies/silencer thing... Okay! I remember, I didn't grab a silencer at first because they're Forbidden and I'm still aiming for a reasonably legal if somewhat suspicious character. From what I've read Medical Supplies are used to restock medkits an such and aren't used by themselves. And I just can't afford a bunch of slap patches when I'm shelling out for First Aid Skill, the Rating 6 First Aid Kit, etc. The others players will just have to provide the quickie treatment option.

The extra magazines I rectified, I grabbed enough to carry half my pistol ammo ready to go and all of my assault rifle ammo. Since I'm only taking the assault rifle to work, not walking around town with it, its more likely I'll need all that ammo on hand.

I'm also going to take the Reakt option mentioned above. I'll edit the post and put up the updated character in a minute.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 24 2014, 09:40 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

might be worthwhile to carry a second gun. is the silvergun legal? i'm afb and can't remember, but basically look for a legal gun that comes with a silencer or sound suppressor already installed.

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Jun 24 2014, 10:29 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

There are only a couple of handguns I saw with built in silencers/suppressors that were legal. The Ares Viper (2050) and Ares Viper Silvergun.

Maybe I'll get a silencer Just In Case, or two, for use on runs, but I don't see myself carrying them around town. There'd be little point if you don't want to draw attention to one's self. If you're already doing illegal stuff, having a silencer or other Forbidden gear means little, but I don't need to be stopped at the Stuffer Shack and put in cuffs because my concealed carry has a silencer.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 24 2014, 10:42 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (CaptRory @ Jun 24 2014, 04:29 PM) *
There are only a couple of handguns I saw with built in silencers/suppressors that were legal. The Ares Viper (2050) and Ares Viper Silvergun.

Maybe I'll get a silencer Just In Case, or two, for use on runs, but I don't see myself carrying them around town. There'd be little point if you don't want to draw attention to one's self. If you're already doing illegal stuff, having a silencer or other Forbidden gear means little, but I don't need to be stopped at the Stuffer Shack and put in cuffs because my concealed carry has a silencer.

Just get the Slivergun. It is an awesome weapon, in my opinion, and is silent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Jun 24 2014, 10:59 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Talking about silencers reminds me of the CLUE Files and the shmuck that used a silenced weapon with explosive rounds. XD You need subsonic rounds or there's no point. Explosives rounds are just stupid with a silencer.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Jun 25 2014, 01:30 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

QUOTE (CaptRory @ Jun 24 2014, 04:59 PM) *
Talking about silencers reminds me of the CLUE Files and the shmuck that used a silenced weapon with explosive rounds. XD You need subsonic rounds or there's no point. Explosives rounds are just stupid with a silencer.

Not entirely true. While not as silent without subsonic ammunition, a suppressor will make the shots harder to localize and the shots will still be far quieter. Suppressors also seem to give a change in the sound direction of 30 degrees or so for the targets versus using an unsuppressed weapon from what I have read. Besides, it's much easier on the ears in enclosed spaces with a suppressor.

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Jun 25 2014, 01:47 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

From what I've read, a silencer only muffles the first part of the sound where the bullet is leaving the barrel . If you don't use subsonic ammunition you still hear the bullet breaking the sound barrier. So neither is totally effective without the other.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Jun 25 2014, 03:47 AM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (CaptRory @ Jun 24 2014, 07:47 PM) *
From what I've read, a silencer only muffles the first part of the sound where the bullet is leaving the barrel . If you don't use subsonic ammunition you still hear the bullet breaking the sound barrier. So neither is totally effective without the other.

I was simply pointing out that "totally effective" and "partially effective" are not the same, but that doesn't mean that "partially effective" isn't nice to have as well. In the case of 9mm ammo, for instance, you don't need to use downcharged ammo to make it subsonic if you swap to 147gr projectiles. There is no noticeable change in terminal performance, from what I have read with these subsonic projectiles.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Jun 25 2014, 04:03 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Not sure where the "Combat Medic" thing is coming up too much. STR 2 isn't enough to pick up a decent-sized human, let alone an Orc, if you have any additional gear on. Being able to carry your kit, weapons, and some screaming, spurting comrade is pretty much a necessity for a combat medic.

Willpower 2 means he's gonna be anyone's bitch that has anything to do with Stun damage or fear checks. Again, non-optimal for a combat medic who is expected to regularly do something stupid...err, heroic at any moment to save your ass.

Edge 6...is a personal choice, and not one that I would have made myself.

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Jun 25 2014, 04:17 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

There's in-character justification for that. He's recently coming out of a long downward slide after getting out of the service so his strength and willpower will be trending upward as he gets his act back together. You may have noticed the "Scorched" negative trait.

But it is only a justification, I'd like to have everything Average to High but I can only spend 200 points, and Edge doesn't count against that limit according to Chummer so I figured I'd take advantage of the human advantage and invest in it.

If you can suggest a way to massage the numbers to get it working I'd like to hear it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Jun 26 2014, 02:28 AM
Post #20

Running Target

So he's a burnout button head? Could have some fun with this one.

I would go with something a bit more pedestrian like: B - 4 A - 3 R - 4 S - 3 C - 3 I - 4 L - 4 W - 3 as the starting stats and 200 points.

I don't allow extra IP in my games because it quickly turns into "those that have and those that have's victims" so I'm not a fan of Wired Reflexes. That said, it's a pretty solid choice in cyber for obvious reasons 11K and 2 Essence. Toss in a level of Muscle replacement and you get a STR and AGL boost that will come in handy at 1 Essence. This brings us to B - 4 A - 3(4) R - 4(5) S - 3(4) C - 3 I - 4 L - 4 W - 3. Low end physical for a Sammy, but fine for a Medic. Rating 2 Cybereyes with Thermo, Low-Light, Flare Comp, and Magnification is $4.5K and .3 Essence. 5 points in Resources so far and 4.5k left over, 2.7 Essence left.

Edge 4 for 20 points.

Combat Medics aren't surgeons, they just need to stabilize your ass until the Meatwagon shows up. First Aid 2 (Combat Wounds +2) for 10 points is plenty here.

He's a Semi-Sammy so Firearms group at 3. He's been in a unit bar fight or two for Close Combat skill group 1. He ran the O-course in Basic for Athletic skill group 1. He hung out with some Recon guys for a Stealth skill group of 1. 60 points.

Perception 3 just because it's smart and stuff for 12 points. He really liked the guns on the flight simulator for Gunnery 1 and 4 points. Spent two months in flight school before the Beetles fucked up his depth perception for Flight 1 and 4 points. He can get the local tramps to give him a roll in the hay for Con 1 and 4 points. Blew off his eyebrows in High School Chem class for Chemistry 1 and 4 points. He got pretty good at the ol' Deft Sidestep for Dodge 3 and 12 points. 40 points.

This leaves you 65 points to play with without even starting on negative traits.

Just some ideas and it won't fit into a party with a grip of min-maxed characters, but it'll do for anything approaching a reasonable game.

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Jun 26 2014, 05:09 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

That is pretty fancy, and along the lines of what I'd envisioned I was just waiting to hear more about the details of the campaign before doing more than roughing out the concept you know?

Sadly the GM neglected to mention that his timezone and mine only share one letter in common so I'm four hours behind him (even though I mentioned what TZ I was operating out of in post 1) so it looks like Patches the Combat Medic is going into the Drawer of Abandoned Characters unless I get another lead on a game. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Jun 26 2014, 05:53 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,835

For a guy prejudiced against clowns, Patches is an odd name choice.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Jun 27 2014, 02:28 AM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 26 2014, 12:53 PM) *
For a guy prejudiced against clowns, Patches is an odd name choice.

One of the SEAL Team 2 plankowners (was a member of the original group that made up the unit) was nicknamed 'Patches'. It was because he loved to attend as many schools as possible and tried to fit all of the patches and ribbons from them onto his dress uniform. Besides, aren't most combat meds in Slap Patches?

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Jun 27 2014, 02:31 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

I called him Patches because he patches people up. Plus he's still probably wearing medic patches on his outfit.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jun 27 2014, 08:43 AM
Post #25

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Or he uses various chemically dosed Patches both as medical and offensive devices. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Would trying to slap a patch on someone in combat be regular melee attack or touch attack?

Probably melee since you have to pretty much make a called shot (to avoid armor) at making skin contact.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:04 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.