> [SR5] Actual licenses for real SINs, like not-fake and stuff
Uli
post Jun 25 2014, 03:54 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,291

SR5 Core p. 367
Acquiring a license (legally) is, again, dependent on the laws of the country. For the most part, acquiring a license involves making an application, paying some sort of fee, a SIN check, and possibly passing one or more certification, testing, or training programs. The exact details of acquiring a license are left up to the gamemaster, but government bureaucracies are notoriously slow and frustrating.

I'm building a character with a military and amateur marksperson background who still uses her real SIN and now works as a bodyguard and Taekwondo teacher. She should have licenses to legally own and carry handguns, rifles, and some restricted electronics, too.

How do/would you handle that? Especially the fee part.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 25 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Uli @ Jun 25 2014, 08:54 AM) *
I'm building a character with a military and amateur marksperson background who still uses her real SIN and now works as a bodyguard and Taekwondo teacher. She should have licenses to legally own and carry handguns, rifles, and some restricted electronics, too.

How do/would you handle that? Especially the fee part.

I would handle with just the SIN. You are going to leave a trail wherever you go with the guns/equipment registered to that SIN, so...

+Quote Post
Uli
post Jun 25 2014, 07:36 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Just like everyone else with faked gun licenses. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) So there are unregistered run-guns with APDS and grenade launchers and the legal slug throwers for the A+ zones.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 25 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Uli @ Jun 25 2014, 12:36 PM) *
Just like everyone else with faked gun licenses. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) So there are unregistered run-guns with APDS and grenade launchers and the legal slug throwers for the A+ zones.

Pretty much... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
If you wanted, you could charge a fee to obtain the license, but I wouldn't bother, personally.

+Quote Post
Happy Trees
post Jun 30 2014, 12:34 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 188,262

I would either charge a fee per license, OR I would tack it on to lifestyle costs. For simplicity's sake, I don't have lifestyle cost (my players have a day job, and a room as part of their pay), but if I did, it would be simpler to just add it to lifestyle. For my game, however, gun licenses cost a yearly fee of $100, and each firearm registered costs $100, but only full-auto and explosive weapons require registry in my game. Different other licenses I handle according to the situation. For instance, my players are mechanics, so they get a driver's license as part of their room and board. They would need to purchase a boating license, however, if they wanted to drive a boat that required a license.

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Jun 30 2014, 12:57 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 29,391

With real licenses you are working with a bureaucracy not an enterprise so they should take 4-6 weeks and cost thrice as much.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jun 30 2014, 01:23 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

You shouldn´t forget, that there are more licences you need to worry about, than „personal weapon x”, “registered mage”, “adept” or “focus rating y”. What about a driver licence? Or about a finished education that needs to be reconfirmed after x years”, etc? Isn´t that also part of a “licence”?

+Quote Post
DWC
post Jun 30 2014, 04:24 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Jun 30 2014, 08:57 AM) *
With real licenses you are working with a bureaucracy not an enterprise so they should take 4-6 weeks and cost thrice as much.

Depends on the bureaucracy, how much the person behind the counter likes you, and how many expedite fees you're willing to pay.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jun 30 2014, 05:45 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

If I ever get around to my "Shadowrun DMV" suppliment, where it talks about cars and teh support networks therein (Stealing them, smart roads, UCAS laws, how society views them, insurance, etc), I'll have a whole thing on driver's licenses in there. Short form is that most people don't have them anymore. Whys hould they? Every car worth a darn comes with GridGuide ™ and does it for you. Only a few throwbacks to the "wild rebel" days bother to learn and are seen as a bit weird by the majority.

That said, real licenses are covered by your lifestyle and tied to your real SIN. It's a bit of handwavium, but if you need it for your job, you have it, but keep in mind you're sticking your SIN all over the place in that case. Snagging teh fake ones is where you have to deal with a cost. Getting a replacement isn't terribly expensive if you lose one (Around 5 Nuyen), but takes a little while. Getting more advanced ones takes an extra step, like passing the bar for law, or getting certified by a university for medical. Magicians, in particular, leave HUGE footprints, and keep in mind that many spells are restricted or even straight illegal for people to have.

+Quote Post
Uli
post Jul 1 2014, 07:35 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jun 30 2014, 07:45 PM) *
If I ever get around to my "Shadowrun DMV" suppliment, where it talks about cars and teh support networks therein (Stealing them, smart roads, UCAS laws, how society views them, insurance, etc), I'll have a whole thing on driver's licenses in there. Short form is that most people don't have them anymore. Whys hould they? Every car worth a darn comes with GridGuide ™ and does it for you. Only a few throwbacks to the "wild rebel" days bother to learn and are seen as a bit weird by the majority.

Ah, the "I, Robot" attitude. That's how I view it myself for most people who don't drive during their work.

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Jul 1 2014, 09:46 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 189,579

If you're driving around an arcology or a big city with a gridlink and all this fancy tech... Why bother? Really. Most people in those situations now take taxis or public transportation or walk, so having a super efficient electric vehicle that drives itself is like owning your own taxi and with automatic traffic patterns and flow it helps alleviate congestion.

If you're working off the grid, leaving the cities, running around in the shadows, then you should be able to drive yourself around. I doubt gridlink would account for someone shooting at you so you might need to turn it off and start driving through the pedestrian areas

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.