Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need help/info building pretty good assassin
Aramus
post Jun 30 2014, 11:22 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,677

Ok, first, thanks you for helping me if you do. Notice that it is for Shafowrun 3rd, all the books permitted.

Secondo. I will be running a one shot run this friday with old friends that play each week (I don't live in the same area). The DM told me that he want me to play a runner assassin that is after the head of some shadowrunner in the group (they all have the dark secret flaw and some go "hunted").

So, I want to build a assassin. I can stun them or kill them, but preferably stun them (or kill them but as collateral). The DM offer me with the points by system, going around 130-140 points. I don't know if I go physical or magical, but I think that using bio + foci + etc. magical will be tough for them to resist.

What I know is that one of the hunted got a Will stat of 9, so they are not easy target.

I'm looking for advice or tips to create something "lethal" that will live only for one day as a PC. They don't plan to run it as a NPC after.

Thanks !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aramus
post Jul 1 2014, 01:12 AM
Post #2

Target

Ok, I started with :

BOD 3
QUICK 5
STR 3
CHA 3
INT (6)8 (+2 Cerebral Booster)
WILL 8 (Edge +1, Edge +1 max)

Skills

Sorcery 6
Conjuring 6
Aura Reading 4
Pistols 4
Etiquette (4)5
Some more, included knowledge

Bioware

Ok, here the DM seem to be "permissive', so ...

Trauma Damper
Cerebral Booster 2
Damage Compensator 4
Pain Editor
Mmemonich Enhancor 3 (for know and language skill, to "blend' more)
Plantelet factories

Magic

There my problem, I don't know which spell is great and if I'm going the combat way or indirect or illusion or etc.

Shaman (totem ?), full magician ?
How high should I buy my spells ? What is the threshold for '"I'm kicking ass and not frying my brain".
Foci ?
Initiation and metamagic (my PC is not a "starter", so I could have initiated. I thought about going the self initiation with deed flaw (like deed over the assassin organisation that helped me). Don't know much about metamagic too, should read more ...

Remember that it is a one night game for me, so I can dump things, but I shouldn't be able to wipe all the runner.

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Jul 1 2014, 09:39 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,585

Wow, seriously? 130-140 points is a big give.

Mage Adept, Human, some spells (mostly invis, or Physical mask, depending on your style of assassin) "non-descript" build, high Int (for the perception dice) and improved reflexes 2
Basically, someone with a reaction of 3d6 +9 will move fast, get in and out and do it quietly (Quickness is fun)

Apart from that, depends on your build - killing hands and distance strike/delayed attack is also effective, but expensive. Also needs high Strength and skill in martial arts.

Or you can go Rifle - sniper splat the opposition.

Frankly, it depends on what you want your playstyle to do.

-Tir

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 1 2014, 09:43 AM
Post #4

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

I like how the DM is basically being a Johnson.

He wants to make a down payment on the player's hunted flaw, but doesn't want to dirty his own hands and do it directly with an NPC, so is bringing in the ringer to do it for him.

Still, probably also makes it a bit easier for the DM as a player can be much more sneaky on this while still trying to take them alive.

The DM is busy enough juggling the scenario, plus if things do go south they lynch the player and not the DM. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Aramus
post Jul 1 2014, 04:02 PM
Post #5

Target

My character will be in the group, so I don't need to be a sniper or a shadow killer.

I was thinking about someone who make it hard for them in the run, without been noticed (like, you alert the security with a spell or something else without them noticing).

Or, I hit them in the back, stunning them incognito.

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Jul 1 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,835

How did you learn that one of the hunted has a Willpower 9? Is that character your target? Magician using a spell lock for Increase Willpower to racial max? No wonder the GM hates him. I was once in a party that relieved me of those dangerous trinkets. Summon a strong spirit to attack the weak spell lock, and when he goes astral to fight, do whatever you want.

You might need to be able to effectively prevent the party from judging your intentions if the GM wants to give them a chance to roll to figure out what you're about to do.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 1 2014, 07:04 PM
Post #7

Runner

and have a good cover story in case you try and fail.

I had to do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif) They are holding X, my [insert relationship/connection here], and said they would kill them if I didn't comply.

Do this well enough and you can 'lead' them back to the baddies for some payback, which can give you further opportunities to separate the target out.

+Quote Post
Aramus
post Jul 1 2014, 07:32 PM
Post #8

Target

QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jul 1 2014, 06:51 PM) *
How did you learn that one of the hunted has a Willpower 9? Is that character your target? Magician using a spell lock for Increase Willpower to racial max? No wonder the GM hates him. I was once in a party that relieved me of those dangerous trinkets. Summon a strong spirit to attack the weak spell lock, and when he goes astral to fight, do whatever you want.

You might need to be able to effectively prevent the party from judging your intentions if the GM wants to give them a chance to roll to figure out what you're about to do.

DM told me about the 9 willpower and yes, he is one of the target (two of them are, one is unsure). So, making him go astral vs a summon and kicking it in physical world seem the way to go with him.

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 1 2014, 07:04 PM) *
and have a good cover story in case you try and fail.

I had to do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif) They are holding X, my [insert relationship/connection here], and said they would kill them if I didn't comply.

Do this well enough and you can 'lead' them back to the baddies for some payback, which can give you further opportunities to separate the target out.

Hehe, excellent advice. Gonna get it if anything goes wrong (and I'm pretty sure it will). Great way to surprise the DM to go another route for him to get them into the wolf den.

+Quote Post
Aramus
post Jul 3 2014, 11:57 AM
Post #9

Target

What about the best option for stunning people ? I didn't get that many technical answer about how to minmax spell, so going into the stun route.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 3 2014, 12:30 PM
Post #10

Runner

Honestly? Spells can do the job, but chemistry can still play havoc and without the drain.

If you look up 3rd edition Man & Machine: Cyberware there are a chemicals that can render a target unconscious like Narcojet or even erase some short term memory like Laes (though this is hard to get due to the elves keeping it in house but if you got good connections or DM approval (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) along with other fun things.
Not just knocking your target out, but erasing his memory of you knocking him out can be very handy....
Nausea Gas and Pepper Punch help soften up a target and make them less able to retaliate while Freeze foam can lock someone into place, but also means it is hard to shift them around if need be.

Let your magic will get you in and out in one piece and augment your attack with science. If you get in a pinch then cut loose with the mana.

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Jul 3 2014, 05:28 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 189,579

Ever read The Dresden Files? In it, they point out that magic is an extremely powerful tool and weapon, but that it isn't a catch all solution to every problem. Magic is only as good as the person directing it, and many times the protagonist, who is an extremely powerful wizard in his own right, gets the upper hand because he's flexible enough to take more mortal methods and completely out maneuver his enemies.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 3 2014, 06:05 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (CaptRory)
Ever read The Dresden Files? In it, they point out that magic is an extremely powerful tool and weapon, but that it isn't a catch all solution to every problem. Magic is only as good as the person directing it, and many times the protagonist, who is an extremely powerful wizard in his own right, gets the upper hand because he's flexible enough to take more mortal methods and completely out maneuver his enemies.

^^^^^^^ This cannot be said enough. Magic is not the solution to all your ills. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 3 2014, 06:14 PM
Post #13

Runner

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 3 2014, 02:05 PM) *
^^^^^^^ This cannot be said enough. Magic is not the solution to all your ills. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Though Summon Bourbon helps....

What?

It's a spirit from my tradition, so it's allowed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 3 2014, 06:25 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 3 2014, 12:14 PM) *
Though Summon Bourbon helps....

What?

It's a spirit from my tradition, so it's allowed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bourbon is Disgusting! Filthy Spirit! Much like those degenerate Whisky Spirits.
Now, Cognac (or other fine Brandy), on the other hand... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Sadly, I do not follow a Tradition of Cognac. Will have to get my Magical R&D boys on that right away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Aramus
post Jul 4 2014, 01:52 AM
Post #15

Target

Thanks for all the info. I've gone into the route of "act fast, toxin/spray/flash/glue them".

I'm kind of "OP" for the night, but it will be a one way for me and my character is doesn't have any lethal weapon (Are pred 3 with gel round, Dart gun with serious stun stuff, MAO dart and Hyper for fun). Supersquirt with stun stuff. Spat gun for fun (hehehe). Some Superflash grenade.

Cyber is mostly react + def + filtration system + eye/ear protection

+Quote Post
Aramus
post Jul 4 2014, 01:53 AM
Post #16

Target

Dyonisos shaman/magician ? Spirit of Beer, each level = color change.

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Jul 5 2014, 09:53 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,835

By the way, the Detect Enemies spell can seriously ruin your day. You can kindly offer to keep that spell sustained whenever the need arises. Hopefully the other magician won't feel the need to do the same thing.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 5 2014, 09:58 AM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jul 5 2014, 05:53 AM) *
By the way, the Detect Enemies spell can seriously ruin your day. You can kindly offer to keep that spell sustained whenever the need arises. Hopefully the other magician won't feel the need to do the same thing.

Good point... who watches the watcher? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 5 2014, 02:32 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 5 2014, 02:58 AM) *
Good point... who watches the watcher? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The Watcher's Watcher, of Course. We have a department for that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Jul 6 2014, 12:32 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,585

Ohh, chemistry of doom - fun.

Base formula: DMSO + Hyper
[adsorbed into the skin & +1 to All TN's, +4 to anything involving concentration and additional stun damage is applied (Stun damage is half the physical damage taken, rounded up)]
+ Pepper-punch = Holy mega TN batman! (need to make body save...so that's body (6) and TN 6, due to the hyper....)
+ Atrophene = Goodnight Gracie. (Let's see, 7D damage physical, +1 TN to active skills...yeah, they're gone.)

+ CS/Teargas = Oh gogglygodfuck, the pepperspray was better, bring it baaaaaack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)
+ MAO = Goodbye initiative
+ Neurostun (series) = Supergoodnight now
+ Arsnic/Cyanide = Makes the Green Ring series look kind...
+ Nausea Gas = Oh god, bring back the cyanide!
+ GreenRing = when you really need to kill everyone, right now.

Add these into a splat, get some leas happening and voila - Better killing through chemistry.

You'd better have 6 in Chemistry, btw, along with some serious chemical-resistance treatments for your armour. And a full hazard-suit.

-Tir!:)

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Jul 6 2014, 05:48 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 189,579

Its the Squirt Gun Wars all over again!

+Quote Post
Aramus
post Jul 7 2014, 12:39 AM
Post #22

Target

Thanks for all the advice.

First, the run did happen last friday.

Secondo, I've won the night with getting my target (the full magician/shaman gnome PC (his character got 7 BOD + 9 WILL, whhaaatttt ?) and getting the second by collateral damage. I've waited all the run (5-6 hours), doing nothing, or responding "OK, got it". They didn't suspect me, or just a little (like "What this guy is doing here with us ?") but didn't do much about it.

At the end of the night, the run was over (and was unsuccessful, the target escaped) they all let me alone with my target. The guy started talking to a buddy via his phone. I told the GM "Ok, I shoot his neck, point blank, behind him, with my Dart Pistol."

2 success, didn't go too good on the roll ... but enough to hit him. Hit him with a dart full of Gamma-Scopolamine. He didn't get more than 1 success ... bang, deadly stun. I call my guys, get him to the storeroom (remember, he was hunted via one of his flaw). "Where is our stuff ?" Gamma-scopolamine got a nasty effect that it act as a truth serum for 1h after the 1h base toxin effect". My other target was ratted by this target, via the truth effect.

Both of them died this night with my total victory (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I wanted to make it complex, but it was a bit of luck, a lot of stupidity from them and a bit of dart in the neck hehe

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 7 2014, 01:07 AM
Post #23

Runner

QUOTE (Aramus @ Jul 6 2014, 08:39 PM) *
I wanted to make it complex, but it was a bit of luck, a lot of stupidity from them and a bit of dart in the neck hehe

At the end of the day isn't that all you can really hope for?

Now you just have to survive the fallout both on and off the table. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Jul 7 2014, 03:32 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

As a person that works in the pharmaceutical business, at least on the insurance end and we're expected to know more than people realize, I find it completely hilarious that some writer read an article on DMSO and really ran with it to the level they did. "Yup, you just mix DMSO into any chemical and the skin sucks it up like a sponge regardless of the chemical type, the vector of absorption, or any other factor. Oh yeah, and it takes 100% effect in less than 3 seconds as well." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Jul 7 2014, 07:18 AM
Post #25

Runner

True, you think they would have just made up a whole new name for the Uber DMSO, but you can forgive them for wanting something that works in combat turns.

Plus look at all the joy it has given Players and GMs alike through the years.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:34 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.