nylanfs
post Jul 3 2014, 06:12 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,576

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=17200.0

QUOTE (Adam)
So here I go with my attempt to make my first post here be something special...

TLDR: I've been working on updating Chummer for 5th edition, the beta is ready, it uses the same .NET 4.0 Framework as original Chummer, and here's the link: https://code.google.com/p/chummer5/

Longer Version: About a year ago, my roughly 15 year old gaming group decided we'd had enough of playtesting D&D Next and wanted to play something different. Once we settled on Shadowrun the next question was 4th or 5th Edition. After discovering Chummer and realizing that 5th Edition at that time was only one book, well... we settled on 4th Edition pretty quick.

As we played though, we found a number of things that were cumbersome, or vague, or cumbersome and vague. And for some of these issues we were finding that 5th Edition had some nice fixes... but no Chummer. Every time we'd look at 5th, the lack of Chummer stopped us cold. But hey... I'm a programmer, I've worked in C# for close to 10 years and WinForms (in VB) for about as long... I could do it!

Fast forward a little over a month and I had my first alpha build for my gaming group. Fast forward another month and here we are... my first beta ready build.

There are a few things that haven't been added as of yet but will be added in a future build:
- Multiple specializations per skill during post character creation advancement
- PACKS (I was considering pulling ideas for strictly armor, weapons, and gear PACKS from the forums)
- Critter creation (it's still there from Original Chummer using the Karma Build system, I just haven't taken the time yet to make sure it all still works let alone how the rules have change if they even still exist)
- Street Level and Prime Runner creation options along with any other optional rules
- I've updated the main character sheet but still need to update the others
- This build only has a current language file for English. I will update the German, French, and Japanese language files in a future update.

Now there's a few things you should know about this build:

First, it's been renamed Chummer5 and uses .chum5 files so that it won't step on original Chummer and you can associate .chum files with original Chummer and .chum5 with Chummer5.

Per the 5th Edition rules, you can raise attributes and skills past the point where you have run out of points granted to you from your priority selections by using karma. But exactly how...? Let me give you a couple very simplified examples:

Say you have skill "A" and skill "B". You have 6 skill points you can allocate to skills. You raise skill A to 4 and skill B to 3 so you've gone over your allotment of 6 points by 1.

Original Chummer handled this problem for Knowledge Skills by running through the list of skills you have one point at a time and then charging karma for the highest points. So it would allocate 1 point to A, one to B, see it wasn't out of points yet (it's spent 2 points) and then raise A to 2 and B to 2. Still not out of points (it's now spent 4) it would raise A to 3 and B to 3. You're now out of points and will have to pay 4 karma to raise skill A from 3 to 4.

Before I stumbled across that code, I had already coded Primary Attributes, Special Attributes, Skill Groups, and Active Skills to use the optimal path. In other words, it would allocate 4 points to skill A because it was the highest, then it would allocate the last 2 points to B leaving you to pay 3 karma to raise skill B from 2 to 3. This is the more efficient path but can look strange in practice because raising or lowering an attribute or skill might change the optimal path so the change might cost (or refund) more or less karma than you would initially expect.

Which approach is the correct one? No bloody idea. I'm hoping one (or more) of you fine people reading this will be able to tell me so I can get everything using the same approach.

I ran into one other area that I simply wasn't sure what the correct approach was to take... Magic with Cyber/bioware. Perhaps I've just not found the right entry but I haven't found an explicit 5th Edition rule that explains how this is supposed to work. The way it is coded currently is that losing a point of Essence will reduce your current and maximum Magic by 1 point. And to raise your Magic (presuming you haven't hit your maximum or have raised your maximum with Initiation) it will cost you karma as if you haven't lowered your Essence with 'ware. So as an example, if you have 5 Magic and buy Muscle Toner which reduces your Essence by one point, you will now have 5 Essence and 4 Magic. To raise your Magic by one point, it will cost 30 karma (what it would cost to raise your unaltered 5 Magic from 5 to 6). Again if I got this wrong, please explain and I'll update the code accordingly.

Skill limits are calculated and there's a new tab where you can track limit modifiers from qualities and gear and the like as well as manually add your own. As these are often conditional, they aren't added to the calculated limits automatically but are shown on the character sheet so you have them handy when it is appropriate to add them.

And then there's auto-update. 4th Edition Chummer was written such that it would auto-update the data files. I don't have a long-term location to host the data files so I had to disable that code at least for now. Sorry.

Build numbers for Chummer5 have changed from the original. I started with 5.101 and have been incrementing upwards since my first alpha build. As of this writing, the current build is 5.109. You should always be able to find the current build at the link at the top of this post.

As of this build, it includes the core rule book, Run & Gun, Gun Heaven 3, and the Assassin's Primer. I just got Street Grimoire today and I'll add it in as fast as I can, I just didn't want to postpone this beta release.

Lastly, I have a few very important things to say:

First, none of this would be possible if it weren't for Nebular and the work he did writing the original Chummer. He made it possible for our group (and I'm sure many more besides ours) to ease our way into Shadowrun and I cannot thank him enough. This update to Chummer was done with his kind permission.

Second, I want to thank my gaming group for all the hours they put in testing the alpha builds I put together. The list of bugs you're not seeing in this code is long and it's because of their work. Thank you Marc, Randy, Arian, Stacy, Ed, and Jennifer. You guys rock!

Third and last, I've already had a heads up that the workload at my regular job is very soon about to pick up significantly through the end of the year. I'll be available for a while to do updates and bug fixes but I can't in any way guarantee that my availability will last so I'm not going to commit to maintaining Chummer5 long term. I'll do my best and that's all I can promise. But, this code has remained open source under the same license Nebular gave it and the code for Chummer5 is in a new repository on Google Code (I kept it separate so it wouldn't step on the 4th Edition Chummer).

I'll be posting this on Dumpshock as well (as soon as they get around to approving my login) and will try to keep up with the threads both here and there. I've also set up srchummer5@gmail.com as an address just for handling bug reports and issues so feel free to contact me there as well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 4 2014, 10:45 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 190,105

Well as Nylan was nice enough to copy over my announcement message, I just wanted to make it official that I'm over here on Dumpshock as well and will be keeping up with posts with bug reports and feature requests (within reason). I'll also make sure to post updates notifying of new builds. I'll keep both the source as well as the current build available at:

https://code.google.com/p/chummer5/

This is beta in all it's definition. It has been through an alpha but I know there's bugs, both new and old. Please be patient with me and we'll get them worked out as quickly as possible. I can be reached here, over at ShadowrunTabletop, and via email at srchummer5@gmail.com

Thank you.

Adam

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 5 2014, 01:17 PM
Post #3

Target

An update to build 5.111 has been posted to the above address. Here's the changelog:

Build 5.111 (beta)
- Added Rigger Control Consoles.
- Added a tooltip for weapon Recoil Compensation that shows the sources of RC and their values.
- Fixed Priority D Aspected Magician so that it still requires a skill group selection.
- Fixed a bug that caused an unhandled exception when adding a skill group that includes a skill given free ranks from a priority selection.
- Fixed the Negative Quality Incompetent to require selecting a skill group, not a single skill.
- Fixed the cost of the Positive Quality Strive for Perfection.
- Changed the name of the Natural Immunity qualities to Natural Immunity (Natural) and Natural Immunity (Synthetic). In addition, these qualities are no longer limited to selecting only one of them once. Whether these should be restricted as such is a GM call.
- Fixed qualities available at multiple ratings so that once that quality is selected at whatever rating, all ratings of that quality no longer appear available for selection.
- Made Resistance to Toxins, Resistance to Pathogens, and Resistance to Pathogens and Toxins mutually exclusive.
- Corrected Positive Quality Agile Defender's karma cost.
- Corrected Positive Quality Resistance to Toxins' karma cost.
- Changed the Positive Qualities Lucky and Exceptional Attribute so that they are no longer compatible.
- Changed the Positive Qualities Rad-Tolerant and Radiation Sponge so that they are no longer compatible.
- Fixed Positive Qualities which grant a bonus to a skill so that they grant that bonus even when defaulting.
- Removed the 4th edition limitation upon skills that limited skill bonuses to half of the skill rating.
- Fixed the Positive Quality Spirit Affinity to require that the character is an Aspected Magician, Magician, or Mystic Adept.
- Cleaned up the Priorities dialog and reordered the fields to match the Priority table on page 65.
- Removed two options from the Options dialog that no longer apply in 5th edition.
- Fixed a book reference on the Options dialog.
- Fixed the Critical Strike Power by correcting its price, making it ask for a weapon category, and applying a +1 DV bonus to the selected category.
- Fixed the spells that were missing the text entry dialog such as Corrode [Ojbect].
- Fixed the powers that were missing the text entry dialog such as Elemental Strike.
- Fixed Skill Groups so that they use a maximum rating of 6 during character creation and a maximum rating of 12 during character advancement.
- Fixed the priority selection dialog so that it shows the correct augmented maximums.
- Fixed a case where your Magic and Resonance priority could be given an "E" priority and it wasn't auto-selecting Mundane.
- Fixed an issue preventing spare clips from being added as gear to firearms and preventing adding ammunition to spare clips.
- Fixed a lot of bugs relating to sensors, vehicle sensors, and sensor functions. I think I've got it right but please feel free to tell me how wrong I am.
- Fixed skill rating calculation for Mystic Adepts for skills based on Magic.
- Fixed a bug preventing bonus skill selection from appearing for Mystic Adepts while selecting priorities.
- Updated Mystic Adept Power Point cost to use the Errata value of 5 karma. I will add this as an option at a later date when I'm able to flesh out the Options dialog.
- Fixed the Wise Warrior Mentor Spirit so that the Improved Ability (skill) applies correctly.
- Fixed the Dragonslayer Mentor Spirit so that the Enhanced Accuracy (skill) applies correctly.

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 6 2014, 12:49 PM
Post #4

Target

Another update has been posted bringing us to version 5.112.

Build 5.112 (beta)
- Added Rituals from Street Grimoire (SG).
- Added Metamagics from SG.
- Added Adept Ways from SG. I've included the discounts but just like Original Chummer, it's up to the player not to take more discounted powers than the 1 per 2 Magic. I will do a 2nd pass on the ways in the near future to restrict the discounts and to take a stab at adding the small bonuses the ways have like the karma discounts that some ways have as well as the cyberware essence discount that the Burnout's Way has and the skill bonus the Beast's Way has. For now, I was happy just getting the discounts working correctly.
- Fixed the price of the Yamaha Growler.
- Enabled the Spells and Spirits tab for Adepts. This allows Adepts to see the stats associated with their Mentor Spirit and to purchase Rituals. I'm currently omitting Rituals with the Spell keyword from the list they can purchase but will change this if it is appropriate to do so. I'm also omitting Rituals with the Adept keyword from the list for Magicians and Aspected Magicians.
- Updated the Add Spell dialog for use by Adepts by restricting selection to Rituals with the Adept keyword.
- Fixed the Taurus Omni-6 so that it gets the Revolver specialization in addition to Automatics.
- Fixed the Enhanced Accuracy Adept Power so that it asks which combat skill to enhance.
- Fixed a bug which allowed characters with more than 25 points in Negative Qualities to validate.
- Fixed a bug with YNT Softweave Armor which would cause it to show more capacity remaining than it should.
- Fixed a bug with broken Skill Groups during character creation not loading correctly from a save file.

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 6 2014, 01:08 PM
Post #5

Target

Tiny patch update to resolve a bug in reading characters (primarily adepts) created before version 5.112.

Build 5.113 (beta)
- Added a fix to enable backward compatibility in reading characters created before 5.112.

+Quote Post
ChatNoir
post Jul 6 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 37,728

Hi, great work, specially on the quick patches !

Any plan to use the update function in Chummer ?

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 6 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #7

Target

I'd like to but have to figure out how exactly. Right now the .zip file is hosted off of my Google Drive account (it's technically how Google wants you to host installers when using Google Code). But I have to figure out a better solution for hosting and downloading updated xml files. So yeah, I'd like to use the update system but I haven't got it really worked out yet.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 6 2014, 05:22 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Yes, thank you for the work. Nice to see you kept the Custom XML option. I have tentative plans to transition some characters over to SR5 once their timeline hits 2075, and in testing one of them out now found just how much of a karma difference there is between the two versions (like over 900), and I expect him to be getting a custom cyberdeck beyond what is listed in the available books at this time. Chummer has been an invaluable tool in keeping progressive records on numerous fictional characters for me.

One thing I did find during my trial transition was that even with the "Ignore Character Creation Rules" option checked, I could not increase a skill group beyond 6 while still in Create mode, though I did notice that individual skills could go higher. Not a high priority, but just something I thought I'd mention.

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 6 2014, 10:11 PM
Post #9

Target

Seeing as I did some custom work on the XML files for my group with original Chummer, I definitely didn't want to drop that feature when I updated it. And thank you for the bug report... I've fixed it for the next update.

I've got a request for y'all... I'm working on updating the character sheets to 5th Edition and could really use some good sample data to test with. So I'd really appreciate it if any of you who have worked up characters using Chummer5 could send me a copy of the saved character file to srchummer5@gmail.com

Also as long as I'm banging my head on the character sheets, if there are any requests you'd like for the existing or new character sheets, please let me know.

Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
nylanfs
post Jul 7 2014, 04:13 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Pos. Quality Codeslinger asks for a value. AFAIK this is a set value, unless it was changed and I missed the errata?

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 7 2014, 04:31 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

SR5, page 72: "The character is adept at performing a particular Matrix action (which she selects when she selects this quality) and receives a +2 dice pool modifier to that Matrix action."

Yup, still needs to call upon a value for one particular Matrix action.

Oh, found that the gear from Street Grimoire (chart on page 217) is missing, as is the option to select a weapon modification to at least make a melee weapon a weapon focus.

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 7 2014, 05:01 PM
Post #12

Target

Yeah... still working on getting in all of the content from SG whenever I can. I'm targeting the end of the week to have all of SG's content in. Also trying to get Bullets & Bandages added as well.

+Quote Post
nylanfs
post Jul 7 2014, 05:29 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Okay, so the value it is asking me for is the action. I was thinking karma value. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 7 2014, 08:50 PM
Post #14

Target

Updated to 5.114. Includes a good number of bug fixes, updates to the character sheets, and added the content from Bullets & Bandages. Enjoy!

Build 5.114 (beta)
- Renamed the character sheets from "Shadowrun 4" to "Shadowrun 5". If you're just copying the new version into the same directory, you'll want to delete the files in the \sheets subdirectory named "Shadowrun 4" with the .xsl or .xslt extention.
- Added new book Bullets & Bandages and its contents (BB).
- Fixed a bug that prevented karma from being charged if points were added to Magic in excess of the character's Special Attribute points.
- Updated the cost of The Beast's Way and The Spiritual Way to 15 points to reflect the free mentor spirit these qualities grant.
- Added a discount field below the Bonded Foci listing on the Gear tab that can be used to enter the number of foci qualifying for your Adept Way's foci bonding discount. This was the simplest and most straightforward way to handle the Adept Ways and the foci bonding discounts they might provide.
- Added a new Standard (Burnout's Way) cyberware/bioware grade that is enabled if you take the Burnout's Way quality. It is always available on the Cyberware and Bioware tab on the grade dropdown to handle cases where an Adept had the Burnout's Way, got cyber/bio, and later dropped the Burnout's Way in favor of another Way.
- Fixed a bug preventing the Suprathyroid Gland from increasing your lifestyle costs.
- Fixed Skills and Skill Groups so that if Ignore Rules was selected they cap at 99.
- Fixed a bug that would cause a crash when selecting the Adept power for the Thunderbird Mentor Spirit.
- Fixed several bugs causing errors with the Urban Tribe Tomahawk.
- Fixed an artifact from 4th edition where Chummer was including Martial Arts when calculating the number of points spent on Positve Qualities.
- Fixed the missing Ingram Valiant.
- Fixed Unarmed Attack so that it is automatically added.
- Fixed the price of the SecureTech Vitals Kit.
- Fixed a bug preventing commlinks, rigger command consoles, and cyberdecks from showing on the character sheet. Unfortunately you will need to remove and re-add the item to have it show correctly.
- Updated the "Shadowrun 5" character sheets, cleaning up the skills section slightly to reflect numbers needed in 5th Edition.
- Updated the "Commlinks" character sheet to show Shadowrun 5 specific values. Also now shows Cyberdecks and Rigger Command Consoles.
- Updated the "Vehicle Block" character sheet to show Shadowrun 5 specific values. Also now shows Seats on vehicles added with 5.114 or later versions and Accuracy on vehicle mounted weapons.
- Updated the "Game Master Summary" character sheet to show skill limits, the full set of initiatives, weapon accuracy, and single armor ratings.
- Updated the "Text Only" character sheet to show skill limits, the full set of initiatives, weapon accuracy, and single armor ratings.
- Fixed a bug that was preventing usable ammunition (Grenades, Minigrenades, Missiles, and Rockets) from appearing on the Weapons list.
- Added the missing Minigrenade: Flash-Bang.
- Added the missing Biomonitor to the Urban Explorer Jumpsuit.

+Quote Post
Buccaneer
post Jul 8 2014, 06:01 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 16,206

Hi Adam

First of all a big thank you, that you accepted the challange to improve Chummer further. I would have done it myself but I have no clue about developing and deploying for Windows. More the PHP sort of guy.

I would like to support your affords as I did it for Nebular and Chummer 4 by maintaining the German translation, especial the gear and stuff with the correct German names and pages.

But (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

As Nebular posted here: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...t&p=1243343 he already started the work on a Version for SR5. He provided a ZIP-archive that differs from the sources on Google. And I would be very happy if we could merge a lot of the new stuff in the repository you started. For example Nebular introduced GUIDs to identify each piece of gear and to avoid problems with translations and so on if the english name changes (due to typos or so).
Another project was started a year ago where I contributed a lot of translations and new GUIDs to formerly untouched stuff. Sadly this project didn't survieved longer that a month so the code lays useless in the repository:
https://github.com/finsterdexter/chummer2

Please check how much of this stuff you could merge to your Google repository.
After that I think it would be the easiest way to give me access to the repository so I could upload new de.xml and de_data.xml files as soon as I finished them.

Or you can fork the GIT repository of finsterdexter, merge your changes to github and we could work there, if this would be easier.

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 8 2014, 10:54 AM
Post #16

Target

Buccaneer,

I'll be glad to take a look. When I first posted the beta, there were a few big things I hadn't touched yet or at least in any depth: character sheets, PACKS, optional and house rules, and translations. I just updated the character sheets in the last patch and was looking to pick up one of the others to start working on it to knock another one off the list.

At first glance, it looks like a hefty piece of work but one that's doable. Let me take a look at the code before I make a firm commitment but I'm definitely interested.

THANK YOU. I've been hoping to find some better alternative than me sitting down with the new/changed string list and Google Translate.

Adam

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 8 2014, 10:54 AM
Post #17

Target

Hurm... accidental double post. Better do something useful with it instead. As I mentioned in the post above, there were several areas that I hadn't tackled yet, one of those being house rules. But I don't really have a good listing of the house rules people actually play with. Is there a thread someone can point me to or if folks want to make house rule contributions for use within Chummer, I'm definitely listening.

Thank you!

+Quote Post
Buccaneer
post Jul 8 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 16,206

Adam

As I wrote before, I am not firm with .net. But I can imagine that there should be a function "translateGearName" somewhere with a parameter changed from "name" to "guid" or something like that.

QUOTE (Adam Schmidt @ Jul 8 2014, 12:54 PM) *
I've been hoping to find some better alternative than me sitting down with the new/changed string list and Google Translate.

That shouldn't be that hard. If you compare the the data/armor.xml file (and the other files in the data directory) you will see that the GUID is just an additional parameter (named id). That should be easily merged. If you look into de_data.xml, you will see, that the former attribute "name" is replaced by "id". But you don't have to do this replacement of each string by yourself because I already did it in the other project. If you merge the files in data and copy the de_data.xml, the trick should be done. Then we have only to assign GUIDs to the new gear and stuff you added from Run & Gun and Grimore and could also translate them as soon as the German translations are available.

The GUI translation shouldn't cause any problems, because all translations there are done by key. E.g key "Label_MaximumCapacityAllowed" is rendered as "Maximum Capacity allowed:" in the English version and translated into "Maximal erlaubte Kapazität:" in the German version. So no work needed there.

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 8 2014, 01:54 PM
Post #19

Target

I'll take a look as soon as I can... I'll probably pick up the code this evening from the repository you linked and start in on integrating what I can from it this weekend. It certainly sounds promising.

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 8 2014, 08:20 PM
Post #20

Target

Another big update and Street Grimoire should now be completely added in. Next up on my plate are a couple larger issues that might take me a little while to resolve, namely translations, re-enabling what I can of the Options dialog, getting limit modifiers to remove themselves when the item granting the limit modifier goes away, and a couple other things. That being the case, it may be a few days before I post another build unless something critical comes up.

Build 5.115 (beta)
- Added all of the remaining Street Grimoire content including Toxic Mentor Spirits, Blood Rituals, Insect Shaman tradition, Spirit Champion and Spirit Pariah Qualities, and Magical Items and Compounds. If you find something that is missing, please let me know.
- Fixed Mentor Spirits with the Improved Ability adept power bonus which were causing a crash.
- Fixed a string bug that would cause a crash on Rituals using an Organic Link descriptor.
- Fixed the Ares Alpha by making its Smartgun System Internal rather than External.
- Fixed the various Cyber Implanted Guns by making their Smartgun System Internal rather than External.
- Fixed an error in the Select an Armor Mod dialog where some items allowed selecting a zero rating.
- Fixed an error in the Select an Armor Mod dialog where some items would cause a crash because they could be given a zero rating.
- Fixed Handheld Housing, Wall-Mounted Housing, Grenade-Cam, and Periscope Cam so that they can be purchased. Once purchased, you should be able to add a single sensor or sensor array (if you have enough capacity) and then populate the single sensor or sensor array with sensor functions. As best as I understand pages 445 and 446, this looks like how this is intended to function.
- Fixed an issue with vehicle sensors. Again, going by pages 445 and 446 and specifically the line "Most vehicles and drones come factory-equipped with a sensor array (at a rating listed with their stats)." I've set the rating of the Sensor Arrays for each vehicle equal to their sensor rating (or 2 if the vehicle/drone has a sensor rating of 1). If I got this wrong, please explain where I went wrong so I can correct it.
- Fixed the calculation for Unarmed Combat damage. Existing characters should delete and re-add their Unarmed Attack on the weapons list.
- Updated the license dialog to suggest more useful options. If you prefer the old method, you can turn it back on in the Options dialog on the Miscellaneous tab. Either way, you can enter your own values by typing into the dropdown box. For the XML inclined, you can add your own entries in licenses.xml. If you have suggestions for licenses to be included in the dropdown, send them to me.
- Updated Cool Resolve to provide its bonus to each of the Social skills.
- Fixed several bugs with the Enhanced Accuracy (skill) Adept Power. It was adding to the dice pool in error and not adding to the accuracy of weapons tied to that skill. Both of these issues have been resolved.
- Fixed a bug which would cause a weapon to not benefit from the correct skill.
- Cleaned up the tooltip for Initiative on the Other Information tab.
- Fixed the Matrix Initiative (Cold) calculated value.
- Fixed Limited spells so that they calculate the Drain Value correctly.
- Added 5th Edition Initiative values to the Other Info tab when in Career Mode.
- Removing the One Trick Pony quality will also remove the Martial Art. Removing the One Trick Pony Martial Art will also remove the Quality.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 9 2014, 01:57 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

License ideas, many taken from the SR3 core book:

Small Blades
Large Blades
Blunt Weapons
Projectile
Pistol
Rifle
Automatic Weapon
Heavy Weapon
Explosives
Military Weapon
Military Armor
Military Ammunition
Cyberdeck
Matrix Software

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 11 2014, 07:04 PM
Post #22

Target

I promised a new build and here it is... and oh boy is it a big one!

The full build notes are below but there's a few standout items:
  • Added the content from Sail Away, Sweet Sister and Stolen Souls
  • Added a new browse feature on the Weapon and Armor selection dialogs
  • Added the ability to make Prime Runner and Street Level characters
  • Added a new Custom Item that allows to provide both the name and cost of the item
  • Fixed Limit Modifiers so they're tied to their source and so removing the source will remove the limit modifier

There's a lot more in the notes below... enjoy!

Build 5.116 (beta)
- Updated how Limit Modifiers work. In short, there are now two kinds. First, there's those provided by a specific source... for example the Indomitable quality. When you add the quality to or remove the quality from your character, it will automatically add or remove the limit modifier for you. Second, there's custom modifiers. These you add and remove yourself from the Limits tab. I'm leaving this in place because there's always going to be some limit modifier I've left off and this gives one handy place to view and adjust your modifiers. Unfortunately this does mean that limit modifiers on existing characters are going to be a problem. You can however delete the existing limit modifiers, and then remove and re-add the items, qualities, powers, and so on that provide limit modifiers and this will add them back in correctly.
- Added a new Browse feature to the select Weapons and Armor dialogs. In the upper right corner of the dialog, there's a button marked "Browse". If you click it, you'll be shown a grid showing the items belonging to the selected category. You can sort the grid by clicking on the column headers. Otherwise it works the same as the list and you can switch back and forth as you like.
- Added a new Custom Item in Gear under the Custom category. This item will ask you for a name and a price. You will be charged the amount you specify and the item will take on the name you give it, showing in your inventory as that name. This should allow for any odd custom or table/campaign specifc item you may need.
- Added the content from Sail Away, Sweet Sister (SASS).
- Added the content from Stolen Souls (SS).
- Added the option to create Prime Runner and Street Level characters.
- Fixed the Demolitions bonus to the Doom mentor spirit.
- Updated the Exceptional Attribute quality to allow selection of Magic and Resonance.
- Fixed the availability calculation for Alpha/Beta/Deltaware for certain pieces of cyber and bioware.
- Removed the Throwing Weapons category from the Select Weapon dialog because these are all purchased as Gear.
- Added priority selection to the Text-Only character sheet. This information will only appear for new characters created with version 5.116 or later.
- Fixed my own fix for limited spells. When I enabled limited spells to modify the DV of the spell, I accidentally broke the spells with drain greater than their force, for example Element Aura with its F+1 DV. This is now fixed properly.
- Removed the text entry when purchasing reagents.
- In light of the Personalized Grip, various holsters, and Spare Clips, I've updated all weapons to allow accessories. I may in the future add some more specialized handling of weapon accessories to be more specific to the weapon in question but for now this will at least allow usage of standard accessories. In the end, while it's good if Chummer helps you follow the rules, it shouldn't prevent you from doing something that is legal within the rules.
- Fixed Social Modifiers for Voice Control (power), Tailored Pheromones (bioware), and Sleeping Tiger (armor).
- Fixed the karma costs of Foci during character advancement.
- Removed the Special menu item that would allow you to change your BP as it doesn't really make sense in 5th Edition.
- Reverted The Beast's Way and The Spiritual Way back to costing 20 karma AND added code so that if you have either of these qualities, you will not be charged to add a Mentor Spirit. In Creation mode, you will be refunded the cost of your Mentor Spirit if you already have one. In Career mode you won't (you've already spent that karma).
- Updated the adept way qualities so that you may only pick one.
- During Career mode and as a Mystic Adept, taking Essence loss sufficient that it reduces your Magic score will also reduce your points allocated to Adept if they exceed your new Magic score.
- Fixed a bug which prevented a cyber weapon from using the Strength of the cyberlimb it is implanted within.
- Added Biotechnology to the Biotech skill group per the errata.
- Fixed Forgery by making it use Logic instead of Agility.
- Updated the character validator to not include the availability of Armor mods marked as "included in base armor" when determining the acceptability of the availability of the character's gear.
- Added Fetishes to Gear in the Magical Supplies category. They have no cost (and per the rules your character must create them) but this addition will enable you to show them in your inventory.
- Fixed a bug causing a character in Creation mode to show their starting nuyen instead of available nuyen on their character sheet.

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 11 2014, 07:42 PM
Post #23

Target

And one more...

Build 5.117 (beta)
- Fixed a bug that could cause a bug while browsing weapons.

+Quote Post
Nergal
post Jul 11 2014, 08:01 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 17,889

One of my players found something confusing during chargen today. He tried to increase his stats using the starting 25 karma, and it turned out that Chummer was charging for the attributes as if their value was 1, even when it's a troll increasing STR from 8 to 9.
After ticking the Created box and trying to increase stats for karma, the calculations were correct.
Is it a mistake in the program, or am I messing something up in character generation?

+Quote Post
Adam Schmidt
post Jul 11 2014, 08:13 PM
Post #25

Target

QUOTE (Nergal @ Jul 11 2014, 03:01 PM) *
One of my players found something confusing during chargen today. He tried to increase his stats using the starting 25 karma, and it turned out that Chummer was charging for the attributes as if their value was 1, even when it's a troll increasing STR from 8 to 9.
After ticking the Created box and trying to increase stats for karma, the calculations were correct.
Is it a mistake in the program, or am I messing something up in character generation?

Well, this one is fun so I'm going to give an example.

To make this simple, I'm going to say that you have only 4 attribute points to spend. You add three to Strength raising it from 1 to 4 and spend the last point on Reaction raising it from 1 to 2. And now you're out of primary attribute points. Still in character generation, you add one more to your Strength, raising it to 5. How much karma does it cost?

Well if we were in Career mode, the answer would be simple... new rating x 5 so that's 5 x 5 = 25 karma.

But in Create mode, it gets a little more complicated and here's why: If I was creating this character on paper, I could just say that I'm going to spend my four primary attribute points to raise my Strength from 1 to 5 and then spend karma to raise my Reaction from 1 to 2. That way it will only cost me 2 x 5 = 10 karma. I end up having the same attributes (5 STR, 2 REA), I just moved around which attributes were being paid for with primary attribute points.

Chummer does that for you. So your friend with the Troll probably had one or more abilities with a score of 2. So when he spent that extra attribute point and went over, Chummer figured out that the most efficient path was to pay for that extra point of strength with the primary attribute points and to pay for that cheap attribute with karma.

Edit:
Oh, and this efficient path can create some odd results. Using the example above, when I raised Strength from 4 to 5 using the efficient path it figured out that it could instead up Reaction from 1 to 2 so that only cost 10 karma. But let's say I raise Strength again, this time from 5 to 6. Now I have no extra attribute points to shift around so I'll have to pay the full price... 30 karma. That's a big jump from the first extra point costing only 10 karma but it's the only remaining option.

Obviously when you've got 22 (or more) points to spend, it gets a little more confusing figuring out exactly which attributes get attribute points and which get paid for with karma but the principle remains the same.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.