> Damaged Power Focus, Fun Side effects
Mystweaver
post Jul 31 2014, 01:19 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,383

Hi all,

I've recently started GMing SR4 and I'd like to introduce a Power Focus to one of my players at a discounted price.

The downside of buying this powerfocus at bargin basement price is, as the topic suggests; that it is damaged.
Knowing that her magical background/ talismongering is completely lacking; she will will most likely jump at the opportunity.
It will be pointed out that there is "superficial" damage to the object (to be determined) which is why its going cheap.

Of course, the real reason why its going cheap only become apparent when it is bound and used.

So I'm thinking that power focus will be force 4. However, when bound it only acts as a force 3. It is also - tempremental.

Whenever it is used, I will secretly roll 2 dice and compare the results against a chart will certainly change and develop as I (hopefully) get replies on here.

My initial thoughts of the "side effects" are that the higher the force of the spell that is augmented by the focus, the more prominent the effect.

Just to be clear, I'll be adding the dice results so the table will range in a result from 2-12.

What I am interested in seeing is what ideas people might have as to what these effects could be.

I could get complicated and have a different table for each class of spell (health, Manipulation, combat etc.)

Please be creative and think of things to the extreme (2 being massively negative and maybe with a 12 having the focus work with no negative effects and at full force).

I look forward to your ideas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jul 31 2014, 02:20 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

2: Drain becomes physical. If already physical, DV increases by 3.
3: Spell goes off as if it was at -1 Force (if this reduces it to 0, the spell fizzles, caster resists drain as normal, +1 DV)
4: Drain increases by 2.
5: Drain increases by 1.
6:
7: Nothing special
8:
9:
10:
11:
12: Focus acts as its full Force 4.

All I can come up with at the moment.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jul 31 2014, 02:48 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

QUOTE (Mystweaver @ Jul 31 2014, 01:19 PM) *
Hi all,

I've recently started GMing SR4 and I'd like to introduce a Power Focus to one of my players at a discounted price.

The downside of buying this powerfocus at bargin basement price is, as the topic suggests; that it is damaged.
Knowing that her magical background/ talismongering is completely lacking; she will will most likely jump at the opportunity.
It will be pointed out that there is "superficial" damage to the object (to be determined) which is why its going cheap.

Of course, the real reason why its going cheap only become apparent when it is bound and used.

So I'm thinking that power focus will be force 4. However, when bound it only acts as a force 3. It is also - tempremental.

Whenever it is used, I will secretly roll 2 dice and compare the results against a chart will certainly change and develop as I (hopefully) get replies on here.

My initial thoughts of the "side effects" are that the higher the force of the spell that is augmented by the focus, the more prominent the effect.

Just to be clear, I'll be adding the dice results so the table will range in a result from 2-12.

What I am interested in seeing is what ideas people might have as to what these effects could be.

I could get complicated and have a different table for each class of spell (health, Manipulation, combat etc.)

Please be creative and think of things to the extreme (2 being massively negative and maybe with a 12 having the focus work with no negative effects and at full force).

I look forward to your ideas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You Sir are a bad, bad person. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
DrZaius
post Jul 31 2014, 03:04 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,360

Because I don't want to C&P a chart from another book without permission, I would suggest looking at the "Mercurial Magic" chart from "Dungeon Crawl Classics" and adapting as desired.

A few examples (on a d100, with 1 being bad.)

1: At great cost. Every time the wizard casts the spell, someone he knows dies (judge’s choice).
24: Prismatic distortion. Nearby light is distorted. Roll 1d6: (1) area within 20’ darkens to shadow; (2) all light sources (torches, lanterns, etc.) within 20’ are extinguished magically; (3) incandescent flash upon completion of spell; (4) all colors are drained from within 20’ of wizard for 1d4 rounds; (5) light takes on a green/ orange/blue/yellow hue for 1d4 rounds; (6) shadows multiply from different directions, as if there were additional, invisible light sources, for 1d4 rounds after completion.
79: Plague of rats. Thousands of rats, mice, moles and voles pour from the caster’s sleeves, robes and pockets, scattering in every direction. Physical attacks against the caster are softened by 1d4 points of damage, the blow cushioned by the squealing tide of rodents.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jul 31 2014, 03:16 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jul 31 2014, 11:04 AM) *
cushioned by the squealing tide

Ha. That's hilarious.

+Quote Post
DrZaius
post Jul 31 2014, 05:20 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,360

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 31 2014, 10:16 AM) *
Ha. That's hilarious.

It's a great game, if you're looking for a AD&D type game with a twisted slant.

-DrZ

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Aug 1 2014, 12:41 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Thanks for starting to flesh it out. Not sure if I'll buy a sourcebook just for one table but its on the right lines.
Idea of different drain values is excellent... hadn't even considered it.

Now I have a chance to look at the books and considering the power of the players (and their wealth) in game, I'm going to adjust the item slightly.

"On the stall your eye is drawn to a box of random items, one of which has a aura about it. It is a pendant that has the body of a greenish-yellow beetle (made of some semi-precious stone) with golden feathered wings and tail. It has hawk-like claws which extend down. One of them clasps a small red stone, the other socket is missing its stone."

Astral Perception Hits:
1: "Upon closer inspection, you reveal that this is some sort of focus!"
2: "Upon closer inspection, you can see that is it a weak power focus"
3: "Upon closer inspection this is obviously a power focus that has lost some of its potency due to age and damage"
4: "Upon closer inspection you see that this is a rating 3 power focus that has lost some of its potency due to age and damage. Perhaps it can be repaired?"
5+ "Upon closer inspection you clearly work out that this used to work as a rating 3 power focus. However, due to age and damage, it will only work as a rating 1. Perhaps it can be repaired?"

Cost: 12,000 nuyen
Binding Cost: 12 Karma

If the character gets it appraised, she will find that the existing red stone is in fact a chipped 2.5 carat Red Beryl. A replacement for the other socket will set her back 25k. However, any decent talismonger will be able to tell her that they need to be paired and along with a full magical restoration, the cost will set her back 60k and she will probably have to rebind to it (additional 12 karma) for it to work properly.

Damaged glitch table: Roll Each an action is taken using the focus. On a glitch roll and additional 1d6+1 and add result. On a critical glitch roll a 1d3+1 and add the result.

I'll post tables for whether the action is for spellcasting or conjuring.

If anyone wants to think of some crazy effects and some mild ones, I'd be happy to use them.

Thanks again

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Aug 1 2014, 01:31 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 29,391

I would treat it like a used vehicle and give it levels of gremlins based on the discount. Then when it glitches use your table (or just do whatever would be appropriate at the time).

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Aug 1 2014, 01:31 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 29,391

DP.

+Quote Post
CaptRory
post Aug 1 2014, 03:18 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 189,579

For Cinematic reason I'd turn this: "1: At great cost. Every time the wizard casts the spell, someone he knows dies (judge’s choice)." Into an event. Something like an Entropy Curse from The Dresden Files. So the person could survive it, but probably only with help or if they have edge to spend or burn.

For those who haven't read the books an Entropy Curse alters probability to bring about the target's death. A chimney might spontaneously collapse and fall on them, a car might jump a bridge and crush the target while water skiing... Its like that movie Final Destination but not as sadistic.

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Aug 1 2014, 12:14 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

I'm starting to think that additional tables is probably not the best way of doing things.

Like the entropy curse idea for a result of a 2.

Still want to have a roll every time the focus is used but I think I'll keep it simple (and mostly in my head).

Result:

2: Entropy Curse - target is a random PC (not just the shaman)
3-8: Some sort of strange effect that brings attention to the shaman or the subject of the shamans spell. In the case of summoning, a negative quirk in the spirits personality.
9-10: Works as a normal Force 1 Power Focus
11: Works as a force 2 power focus (GM secretly rolls additional dice granted)
12: Works as a force 3 power focus (GM secretly rolls additional dice granted)

If a glitch or critical glitch is rolled the cinematic severity of the negative effects will increase.

Ideas of random "accidents" that could cause physical harm now welcome!

Strange effects will indeed be things like rat swarms, flare or dimming of light sources, animal noises drawing attention to the players while they try and sneak in somewhere, earthquake (the one previously that could knock them over would be a critical glitch version of this).

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Aug 1 2014, 12:57 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

For the secret dice, to avoid rolling a few dice several times, get four dice:
2 white (rolling on the table)
1 blue (2nd point of force)
1 green (3rd point of force)

Roll 'em all at once. It will then sound like a dice pool of 4 to the players, rather than a dice pool of 2-then-1.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 1 2014, 01:17 PM
Post #13

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Correct me if i am wrong here but:
Doesn't Damage to a Focus no matter what kind mean it's immediately worthless?

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 1 2014, 01:48 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 1 2014, 09:17 AM) *
Correct me if i am wrong here but:
Doesn't Damage to a Focus no matter what kind mean it's immediately worthless?

Under normal circumstances yes, but the OP is trying to offer bargain basement specials that are a little 'off' whether due to damage or other reasons.

If damaged doesn't work for you, you could call it glitched during the making of the item or similar.

Maybe Bob the Enchanter was using a little too much Deepweed when he was making that Power Focus so users of the latest model might find himself Astral Perceiving unintentionally and the colours may be exceptional or really messed up.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Aug 1 2014, 03:42 PM
Post #15

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

I would adapt Dark Heresy's Perils of the Warp tables.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 1 2014, 07:22 PM
Post #16

Runner

QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 1 2014, 11:42 AM) *
I would adapt Dark Heresy's Perils of the Warp tables.

Heh, think I would rather just throw myself on a live grenade, less dangerous. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Aug 1 2014, 08:04 PM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 1 2014, 11:22 AM) *
Heh, think I would rather just throw myself on a live grenade, less dangerous. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Most of them aren't all that dangerous, at least not until you get into the really high rolls.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Aug 1 2014, 10:58 PM
Post #18

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Heh, think I would rather just throw myself on a live grenade, less dangerous.

I also use those when mages critglitch with spells (and additionally use the Mutations table when they do so while casting health). This led to a very freaky but memorable boss fight in a recent adventure based on one of Kokoepans Redneck Runs. I dunno, I feel it fits better than D&D because the systems are more similar - setting-wise as well as with what mechanics allow and what they don't.

Most of them aren't all that dangerous, at least not until you get into the really high rolls.

95 and ... 85, I think it was. Danger Zone! But below that it's mostly super creepy but not immediately deadly.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 1 2014, 11:49 PM
Post #19

Runner

73-78 Blood Rain was nasty as it covered 5d10 meters (so pretty much the area where the party and opposition are) and meant any other powers (spells if you are translating to SR) used in the area (that is all casting--good guys and baddies alike) for 1d5 rounds (combat turns) automatically invoke further Perils of the Warp rolls..

It was the gift that just kept on giving. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Aug 4 2014, 11:31 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

She bought it, but hasn't bound it yet...

Will update you on some of the craziness I plan for her glitches to cause.

+Quote Post
Fyndhal
post Aug 4 2014, 12:48 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,254

Ideas:
* Casting a spell through this focus increases Astral Signature by 3, and the signature adds an additional 3 to the test for erasing it.
* If casting on the astral, "The Beetle on your Power Focus flutters angrily and flies off into the astral." --Congratulations, it has just disenchanted itself until you can somehow capture the beetle. Note, it isn't a spirit nor particularly fast; it's a beetle and behaves just like one would on the material plane, so catching it should be amusing, but not impossible.
* If overcasting: The Gem on the focus glows a bright red and becomes extremely hot to the touch. (no game effect, just...something to worry the player.)
* Spirits of Man Summoned while using the Focus are highly amused upon seeing it and laugh openly every time it's used. They find it hysterical! They refuse to explain the joke, however ("It's a Spirit thing, you would not understand.") and if ordered to, make an immediate Escape attempt. If they don't escape, they *still* won't answer and are now antagonistic to the player.

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Aug 4 2014, 12:58 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fyndhal @ Aug 4 2014, 01:48 PM) *
Ideas:
* Casting a spell through this focus increases Astral Signature by 3, and the signature adds an additional 3 to the test for erasing it.
* If casting on the astral, "The Beetle on your Power Focus flutters angrily and flies off into the astral." --Congratulations, it has just disenchanted itself until you can somehow capture the beetle. Note, it isn't a spirit nor particularly fast; it's a beetle and behaves just like one would on the material plane, so catching it should be amusing, but not impossible.
* If overcasting: The Gem on the focus glows a bright red and becomes extremely hot to the touch. (no game effect, just...something to worry the player.)
* Spirits of Man Summoned while using the Focus are highly amused upon seeing it and laugh openly every time it's used. They find it hysterical! They refuse to explain the joke, however ("It's a Spirit thing, you would not understand.") and if ordered to, make an immediate Escape attempt. If they don't escape, they *still* won't answer and are now antagonistic to the player.

Brilliant

+Quote Post
Fyndhal
post Aug 4 2014, 01:31 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,254

QUOTE (Mystweaver @ Aug 4 2014, 07:58 AM) *
Brilliant

Thank you. I try!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.