Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aspected Magicians
rythymhack
post Aug 4 2014, 01:08 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,597

I still like them even with the changes. In previous editions aspected mages got a bonus to whatever they were aspected for. Since that got removed I think a good alternative would have been this: An aspected mage is considered to have a magic rating 1 (or 2?) points higher for the purpose of determining whether drain is P or S ONLY. This only applies to the school they are aspected to.

To me this gives them back just a bit of the "they are a bit better at this one thing" they use to have.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 4 2014, 04:26 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

they're not too bad for some uses, terrible for others.

specifically, if you want to have spirits or spells (i recommend spells, personally) and want to invest the absolute minimum amount to get access to those things, being aspected is not a bad idea. generally speaking, you're not usually giving up anything particularly great by pushing something from priority D to priority E.

which means that you can, for example, have an aspected sorcerer with really good skills, any race you want, decent attributes, and just dump your resources or something like that.

for some character archetypes, that's an awesome deal.

+Quote Post
rythymhack
post Aug 4 2014, 04:51 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 13,597

My idea that I am persuing is a Detective mage (note the name order...a detective who happens to be a mage....not the other way around). I see him as kind of a Dirk Montgomery combined with Harry Dresden (Post 2XS Dirk Montgomery so he has a cyber limb). As such he will have mostly detection/manipulation spells and a couple of rituals (most notably Watcher and Ward). Is there a logic based tradition that allows summoning of spirits of man? I think I want him to dabble in necromancy/psychometry and the necro requires a tradition that can summon them.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Aug 4 2014, 06:11 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Logic & Spirits Of Man? Hermetic & Zoroastrian.

If it were SR4, also Chaos, but that has since been changed to Intuition as of SR5.

+Quote Post
Temperance
post Aug 4 2014, 01:32 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,332

Officially? What SpellBinder said.

Unofficially? Anything you want. Though the rules did not make the conversion from SR4, the basic idea is pretty simple. Pick your drain, decide which 5 spirits align to which spell categories for the purposes of the new tradition, and decide what the new tradition is like. As an extra bonus you could be the only follower of your new tradition. Especially if you're learning your tradition directly from your mentor spirit. Depending on the mentor you could then pass on knowledge of the tradition to new students. (Yay, plot hook and roleplay opportunities.)

Also, there is some history in SR4 and SR5 of a tradition having one set of drain stats and a subsect having a different set of drain stats. The two I remember off the top of my head is Wicca (Wil + Log or Wil + Int) and the Hermetic tradition (Harlequin uses a Wil + Int variant).

So if there is a tradition with spirits of man that you like but the drain stats don't appeal to you, swap the drain stats. Call it a subsect and come up with a background on why it's a subsect and why it uses the alternate drain stats.

-Temperance

+Quote Post
pragma
post Aug 4 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 7,336

Be sure to consult your GM before following Temperance's mechanically unimpeachable advice. My experience with players making traditions is that they're super abusive, so I'm a little gun shy about allowing custom ones in my campaigns. To head off that kind of reaction, make sure to test the waters lightly and go along with the GMs edicts.

+Quote Post
Temperance
post Aug 4 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,332

QUOTE (pragma @ Aug 4 2014, 10:30 AM) *
Be sure to consult your GM before following Temperance's mechanically unimpeachable advice. My experience with players making traditions is that they're super abusive, so I'm a little gun shy about allowing custom ones in my campaigns. To head off that kind of reaction, make sure to test the waters lightly and go along with the GMs edicts.

Talking to your GM about anything oddball is always good advice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) So yeah, what pragma said.

Incidentally rythymhack, the SR4 rules are in Street Magic, pages 46 & 47. Though SR5 is it's own beast, those rules should be easily adaptable. It should be a good reference for you and your GM if you can track down (or already have) a copy.

-Temperance

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.