Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Errata help plz?, Augmented maximums
NightmareX
post Aug 7 2014, 09:46 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,687

Hey all, I'm coming in fashionably late to SR5, but I got the pdf when it first came out. Unfortunately it seems I can't find where it notes what precisely a character's augmented maximum attributes are (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif) Maybe I'm just incompetent, but any help would be welcome. Ty in advance!

Edit to add
(Also, I desperately need a new sig, noted)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Beaumis
post Aug 7 2014, 09:52 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 8,223

Augmented maximums are your current attribute +4. (P. 94 Core)

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 8 2014, 01:17 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Two exceptions. Cyberlimbs (pg. 455) have their own Agility and Strength ratings, so they don't fall under this cap (on the downside, they also don't affect your physical limit, either). And if you combine wired reflexes with reaction enhancers with the wireless turned on for both of them, you can go over +4 with them.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Aug 8 2014, 04:49 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Thanks much guys! (No wonder I didn't find it though, didn't read that section XD )

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Aug 8 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,659

QUOTE (NightmareX @ Aug 8 2014, 11:49 AM) *
Thanks much guys! (No wonder I didn't find it though, didn't read that section XD )

Yeah, you can't get away with that with SR5. All of the sections have important rules embedded into the fluff and descriptions rather than in a mechanics chapter like any sensibly formatted RPG manual.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Aug 9 2014, 06:58 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Quickly noticing that - plus alot of errors and flat out insanity (the new mystic - slash that - GOD adepts just about gave me a heart attack) X(

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 9 2014, 01:16 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

if it's any comfort, they may have been "nerfed" since your version of the rules. how much karma do power points cost for mystic adepts? if it's not 5, you're using an old version of the rules.

but yeah, mystic adepts are still plenty good.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Aug 9 2014, 09:49 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,659

Mystic Adepts are still pretty much the bees' knees for any campaign that's going to be ongoing for more than a couple games. They're only giving up astral projection in favor of being a full caster with a stack of power points, after all. I still think they should have been treated as aspected mages and only given access to Sorcery.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 10 2014, 01:58 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

They give up astral projection and perception (unless they expend a power point for it - recommended because operating blind to astral space is a serious hindrance to a mage), in exchange for the ability to buy power points out of the limited resource of starting Karma. Advancement-wise, they gain power points at half the rate of the adept (only getting to take a power point as a metamagic, rather than getting one automatically as their magic increases), and even that rate only happens if they sacrifice the other metamagics they could be learning. Qi foci can only be used by adepts.

Overall, I think they are balanced compared to full mages or pure adepts, despite looking overpowered at first glance. They are definitely better than they were in SR4, which stands out even more because a lot of other stuff got hit heavily with the nerf bat in SR5.

+Quote Post
rythymhack
post Aug 10 2014, 02:19 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 13,597

"Qi foci can only be used by adepts."

I missed that. Do you have a page reference?

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Aug 10 2014, 02:55 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

The first line for Qi foci in the core rule book. However, if you go by that then the Power Point and Adept Centering initiation options are then also prohibited to Mystic Adepts as those state exactly the same thing.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 10 2014, 02:57 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Page 319, first sentence under the Qi Foci heading: "Qi (pronounced "chee") foci only work for adepts." I am sure it could be argued that mystic adepts could be considered a type of adept, but if that was intended, it makes the rule very poorly phrased - an explicit limitation with an implicit exception.

*edit* Good point about the metamagics, though.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Aug 10 2014, 03:30 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

But mystic adepts, are, in fact, adepts. Says so right in the name.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 11 2014, 03:29 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Aug 9 2014, 09:30 PM) *
But mystic adepts, are, in fact, adepts. Says so right in the name.

Indeed... Mystic Adepts can use any Foci, they are not restricted like the Mage or the Adept are. And they have access to all the Metamagics, as they satisfy both the Mage and Adept qualifications.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.