Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Matrix 2.1 Topology: Flat Architecture vs. Nested Hosts
Wired_SR_AEGIS
post Aug 15 2014, 01:06 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 109,479

Been on a long hiatus, just recently cracked open my SR 5 Core Book and I'm trying to wrap my mind around this new fangled Matrix Topology. I wanted to query the Dumpshock community for some clarification/guidance -- While the SR5 Matrix book hasn't been released, are their any official releases that explain in any detail the matrix topology, preferably through an extended example?

It doesn't appear that the current SR 5 Matrix supports previous Matrix staples like nodes, or nested Hosts -- no chokepoints to speak of.

It seems like, with this new Matrix, one might run the risk of having the break room coffee maker hacked to backdoor into corporate trade secrets.

Doesn't that seem a bit... odd? How do you all handle this? Do you nest secure hosts inside of public facing hosts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DMK
post Aug 15 2014, 06:45 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 15,761

It's more like, you're very picky about what you connect to a host. The CoffeeMaker? You don't bother. You just monitor it wirelessly without slaving it to the Host. If somebody hacks it, who cares really? Best case scenario they'll update the firmware so they actually get a decent cup o' joe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Now, your maglock doorlock is a different story. You slave that, because you don't want somebody getting around your physical security without a real fight (in the matrix sense.) Sure, there's a risk if the guy can get close & make a direct connection, but hey, that's why you have security cameras and actual guards, right?

+Quote Post
tete
post Aug 19 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

QUOTE (Wired_SR_AEGIS @ Aug 15 2014, 02:06 AM) *
It seems like, with this new Matrix, one might run the risk of having the break room coffee maker hacked to backdoor into corporate trade secrets.

Doesn't that seem a bit... odd? How do you all handle this? Do you nest secure hosts inside of public facing hosts?

one way trusts

+Quote Post
Wired_SR_AEGIS
post Aug 20 2014, 04:08 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 109,479

QUOTE (tete @ Aug 19 2014, 11:11 PM) *
one way trusts

That doesn't seem like an option as written. Elaborate.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Aug 20 2014, 08:49 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

The coffee maker would be a separate device and not slaved to anything. As you said, slaving it to the secure company host would be counter-productive, and having ordinary devices (like the coffee maker) readily available for Neo tricks is exactly what the new matrix is about...

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 20 2014, 09:11 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Sengir @ Aug 20 2014, 02:49 PM) *
The coffee maker would be a separate device and not slaved to anything. As you said, slaving it to the secure company host would be counter-productive, and having ordinary devices (like the coffee maker) readily available for Neo tricks is exactly what the new matrix is about...

What "Neo Tricks" do you actually expect to pull off with a coffee maker that would actually matter, rather than be something annoying?
Annoyance factors have their place, I guess, but they are generally not something my elite hacker is gonna be all wound up about.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Aug 21 2014, 01:20 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Distraction? Blow steam onto an opposing fire elemental? I'm sure you can find a situational effect which totally makes this stupid concept worthwhile (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 21 2014, 01:53 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Sengir @ Aug 21 2014, 06:20 AM) *
Distraction? Blow steam onto an opposing fire elemental? I'm sure you can find a situational effect which totally makes this stupid concept worthwhile (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

But it is SO situational as to be a waste when there are better things the Hacker can be doing. Blowing steam at a Fire Elemental? Really? You have got to be kidding me. *shrug*

Now, when the entry level to hacking was not terrible (SR4A), I would agree with you. It might be something that you could do, maybe for shit's and giggles. But since it cost a Frellin' Fortune to be a Hacker now, it is just not worth me playing around with coffee machines that have absolutely nothing to do with the Host I am concerned about. You are talking scrub level "hacks" and the new paradigm is that there are no Scrubs any longer (which is ludicrous to me).

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Aug 21 2014, 03:04 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 21 2014, 03:53 PM) *
You are talking scrub level "hacks" and the new paradigm is that there are no Scrubs any longer (which is ludicrous to me).

Heh, that sounds like a pretty good summary of the new matrix rules (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 21 2014, 03:14 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Sengir @ Aug 21 2014, 08:04 AM) *
Heh, that sounds like a pretty good summary of the new matrix rules (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Sadly... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
tete
post Aug 22 2014, 10:39 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

QUOTE (Wired_SR_AEGIS @ Aug 20 2014, 04:08 AM) *
That doesn't seem like an option as written. Elaborate.

First off, one should not apply real life logic to shadowrun ever.

Now then nodes dont have to trust each other. Yeah yeah if you slave it etc it should but as was pointed out why would you do that. Just because your on the same network doesnt mean there is any trust between nodes. Id actually argue most things are rather independent, otherwise you end up with the 1e era system maps that coined the lets all go get a pizza while the decker has a minigame.

I know I said ignore real life but consider this
Why would I every attach a coffee maker to my domain?
Whats the point of it being wireless?
- one could be to refill supplies, ok so it can sit out in the DMZ and do that
- one could be so i could make coffee before I get there, they have printers like this already, but you still have to go up to it and press in your code to get your print out. I dont see myself attaching a coffee maker for this feature. Instead I could see some sort of proximity feature that is just open to brew a cup and hope no one steals it by the time you take the 10 steps. Or you have to walk up like we do today.

So I'm on board with that its an independent node, I cant see a compelling reason to have it connected to a corporate network.

+Quote Post
Beta
post Sep 3 2014, 01:32 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 190,206

I'm considering a house rule t to represent the fact that some devices won't have much 'trust' from the network. (to allow for easier suspension of disbelief)

Simply: when working from a device back to the network, your limit is the rating of the device (except in exceptional circumstances).

i.e. The thermostat might be connected into the corporate network, but there are going to be very limited communications that the host will accept from the thermostat--making it virtually impossible to do much to the host via the thermostat (assuming any reasonable host rating).

For those with more experience using the hacking rules, does this seem like a sane rule?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:34 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.